13 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2014 11:31 AM by A.T. Romano

No video, only audio from MP4's

Irish91765

I have been trying to edit and convert MP4 videos taken on a Samsung Galaxy S4 but no matter what format I attempt to transfer to for PC viewing I only get audio with no video.  The MP4's play find inside the editor so I know it sees them.  What settings am I missing here?

Thank you.

Pat

• 1. Re: No video, only audio from MP4's
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Irish91765

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running?

What is the video compression in the files from the Samsung Galaxy S4? According to the cell phone's specifications, it could be

MPEG4, H.263, H.264, DivX, DivX3.11, VC-1, VP8, WMV7 / 8, Sorenson Spark, HEVC

Which is it?

Nearly all of these cell phones record their video using a variable rather than a constant frame rate. So, there may be other

issues as well...out of sync out and just not being able to import the video with audio file into a Premiere Elements project. In that case,

we start by converting the variable frame rate to a constant one using the HandBrake program and then importing the converted species into the Premiere Element project.

So...needed besides the basics of Premiere Elements version and computer operating system....

1. Properties of Source Media...video compression, audio compression, frame rate (with min and max values if applicable), interlaced

or progressive, pixel aspect ratio, and file extension.

Possible tools...MediaInfo (Tree View), GSpot Codec Utility, and information from camera.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mediainfo/

GSpot Codec Information Appliance

We will be watching for your follow up.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: No video, only audio from MP4's
            Irish91765 Level 1

I am using Elements 12 on a windows 8 laptop.

Video data shows them as MP4's ...  "MP4 Video".

The detail  info shows;

Frame width     1920

Frame Height     1080

Data Rate     16049kbps

Total Bitrate     16164kbps

Frame rate      29 frames/second

The Samsung page shows S4's with video "up to" 30 frames/second so the variable idea might be it.

(from webpage)

Audio and Video

• Video Format: MPEG4, H.263, H.264, DivX, DivX3.11, VC-1, VP8, WMV7 / 8, Sorenson Spark, HEVC
            • Full HD (1080p) Video Playback available
            • Recording up to 30 fps
            • Audio Format: MP3, AAC, AAC+, eAAC+, AMR-NB / WB, OGG, FLAC, AC-3, apt-X (Bluetooth)

I thought computers were supposed to SIMPLIFY our lives .... !

thanks for the help.

Irish

• 3. Re: No video, only audio from MP4's
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Irish

Let us give the HandBrake variable to constant frame rate a try for your cell phone video.

HandBrake download http://handbrake.fr/

In workspace

Source/Open File

I typically change "Chapters" to "Seconds"

Destination...browse to and select a save location for the HandBrake export

Output Settings...Container Mp4

Leave the Picture Tab details as is.

Video Tab...

Video Codec = H.264 (.264)

Framerate = 29.97

and dot the  Constant

Hit the Start button at the top left of the workspace.

Watch for the "Queue Finished" in the progress bar at the bottom left of the interface.

You should end up with a H.264.mp4 (1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second).

Open Premiere Elements and use the NTSC/DSLR/1080p/DSLR 1080p30@ 29.97

(See How To for manual setting of project preset if the program does not automatically give you the correct project preset.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE11: Accuracy of Automatic Project Preset (New Project Dialog) Setting

Please let us know the outcome.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: No video, only audio from MP4's
                Irish91765 Level 1

There is no joy in Mudville.

I have managed to get the Handbrake conversion in proper format.

In Elements I have also gotten into the advanced settings and set them to NTSC/DSLR/1080p/DSLR 1080p30@ 29.97 as instructed.  When I verify them under the edit tab they show, but all but frame rate are greyed out.

When I go to render for computer viewing my only choices are presets.and the closest I have is still only NTSC Standard which converts it to 720x480 at 29 frames/second.

Results still audio only.

Sigh.

• 5. Re: No video, only audio from MP4's
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Irish

Let us recap.

You obtain your H.264.mp4 from HandBrake. It should be 1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second.

You open Premiere Elements 12 Expert workspace.

File Menu/New/Project and Change Settings.

In Change Settings, you set the project preset for NTSC DSLR 1080p DSLR 1080p30@29.97

Before you close out of there you, in the new project dialog, you put a check mark next to Force Selected Project Setting on This Project.

You close out of there.

Back in the Expert workspace, Add Media/Files and Folders to import your H.264.mp4 into Project Assets from where you drag the file to

the Timeline Video Track 1. Do you see video and hear audio in the playback of that file?

If not go back and do another HandBrake conversion, double checking that the settings are as we have described.

Please let us know the outcome.

Also, while you are not getting any video for your cell phone video, are you able to see images from stills and videos from other cameras?

Do not give up.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: No video, only audio from MP4's
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Irish

Still keeping a positive thought about my comments in post numbered 5, but....

Depending on how things go, any chance you sending a sample of the cell phone video (before HandBrake) in a Dropbox link put into your reply post.

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: No video, only audio from MP4's
                      Irish91765 Level 1

I may have it.  My snag was in the rendering if I am correct.  For computer playback viewing I was using NTSC Standard which seemed in conflict with your DSLR 1080 setting request and my output was indeed 720x480.  I at last tried changing the output to AVCHD and think it's a winner.  I am tired and will try the whole process again tomorrow with another clip and get back to you.

Thanks so much for your patience.

• 8. Re: No video, only audio from MP4's
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Irish

Thanks for the update. Sounds very promising.

If you are having any problems with import and export settings, please let me know and we will go over them.

But, you may have sorted out the details already. We will be watching for further developments.

ATR

• 9. Re: No video, only audio from MP4's
                          Irish91765 Level 1

I've been unable to get back to my conversions until today but think you may have solved it for me.  My only issue now is the final rendering and exporting.

My handbrake conversion carries property details of;

even though the settings for the conversion were the suggested;

and some info greyed out.

But to render and save for PC viewing in Elements I seem to be forced to choose an AVCHD format to get the proper resolution, and no 29.97 appears, so I use 30;

My final Elements output carries property details of;

The data rates seem only a tad off of the initial handbrake conversion.  So ... is this what I'm after so I can burn and send it to the recipient and have it PC viewable?

And what setting for DVD playback.

Once again thank you for all the understanding and assistance.  I do believe I'm in over my head but really want to convert there videos for a lovely lady who I filmed performing for her Bishop.  It means a lot to her ... and me.

Irish

• 10. Re: No video, only audio from MP4's
                            Irish91765 Level 1

Okay, all my work grabbing frames didn't upload so info is;

Handbrake property details

frame width 1920

Frame Height  1080

Data Rate  9065kbps

Total Bitrate  9226kbps

Frame Rate  29 frames/second

Handbrake Project Settings confirmed to be

DSLR - greyed out

Timebase  29.97 - greyed out

Frame Size 1920 horizontal   1080  vertical

Pixel Aspect Ratio  Square pixels (1.0) - greyed out

Fields  No fields  greyed out

Display Formet  30 fps Drop-Frame Timecode - Active drop down, but no 29.97

Title safe are  20 and 20

Action safe area  10 and 10

Elements render and save

for MPEG 2 export at 1920x1080 all I get is audio again

If I use AVCHD at 1920x1080 I must choose H.264 at either 25 or 30 fps and choose 30.

I just want to know that if I send this to her that it will indeed play on a PC or even DVD player if need be...

Sorry I'm such a dunce.

Irish

• 11. Re: No video, only audio from MP4's
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Irish

Great project, great purpose.

Did you get a 1920 x 1080p29.97 from HandBrake?

If so, you brought that into Premiere Elements 12 on Windows 8 64 bit with the project preset =

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30 @ 29.97

If we have not gone over how to set the project preset manually, then please follow the instructions in the bottom of the following link.

That way you know for sure what is being set.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE11: Accuracy of Automatic Project Preset (New Project Dialog) Setting

Do your editing. Apply Disc Menus if you want.

Then Publish+Share/Disc/DVD disc with the preset = NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD. That should play back on the computer and the TV's DVD player.

If anyone has a Blu-ray player attached to the TV and the Blu-ray player supports AVCHD on DVD disc, the Publish+Share/Disc/AVCHD disc (disc = DVD) and preset = H.264 1920 x 1080i NTSC Dolby.

Now, if you want to take your Timeline and instead of burn to disc you want to create a file, then

Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD with preset = MP4 H.264 1920 x 1080p30.

Remember, you can customize expert settings by clicking on the Advanced Button/Video Tab and Audio Tab of the preset...frame size, frame rate, etc.

Please give the above a try. Any problems, please let me know, and we will work them out. But, if problems, then please give me a detailed account of your HandBrake export and its properties.

Thanks.

ATR

• 12. Re: No video, only audio from MP4's
                                Irish91765 Level 1

Still a little concerned that in properties the "details" tab shows only 29 frames per second from handbrake and not 29.97. A couple more tries here...

• 13. Re: No video, only audio from MP4's
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Irish

Thanks for the reply.

If you are in HandBrake and, under the Video Tab, setting 29.97 frames per second as the Constant frame rate, then the output should have a constant frame rate of 29.97 frames per second.

Please review the following screenshots to try to detect any differences in what should be and what is.

HandBrake.jpg

It should look like the following before you hit the Start button for the conversion.

HandBrake2.JPG

Thanks for staying with the troubleshooting. We will be watching for further developments.

ATR