5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 30, 2014 4:42 PM by Szalam

Very Fast Rendering to sudden Painful Crawl

Nateido1 Level 1

Both AE and AME updated to most recent CC 2014 versions ~

I've been attempting to render-out a 8-minute composition that starts to encode in Adobe Media Encoder at a gangbuster's pace, only to stop to an almost insta-crawl. 75% of the encoding in AME took less than an hour, with an estimated 10 minutes left. Then BAM. Hit a brickwall. Now it's been going an additional 2 hours and only updating a frame every few minutes. At this rate, having been cruising this whole time, it seems like it won't finish rendering for hours or maybe days with "3 minutes estimated left".

Multiprocessing is off. My resources right now show AFTERFX.exe taking up 3.8 gigabytes of RAM, and Adobe Media Encoder.exe 463k. I have 16 RAM installed. Compositions are not Raytraced.

Any help greatly appreciated!!!

• 1. Re: Very Fast Rendering to sudden Painful Crawl
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

And what exactly? You have not told us anything here. No comp settings, no render settings, no system info. not what effects may actually be used.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Very Fast Rendering to sudden Painful Crawl
            Nateido1 Level 1

Comp settings are HDTV 1080, 29.97, Rendering in H.264 in AME with match source high bit rate, system Intel i7-3770K @ 3.50 Ghz, 64-bit, Geforce GTX 660. Effects are minimal. Using QuickDraw AEscript and some sharpen, and those are the extents of effects. No dynamic links with Premiere Pro.

Maybe I should have added that none of those have been different than previous renderings. The only time I've had this anomaly is after updating to CC 2014 from CC. The slowdown isn't congruent with effects used.

• 3. Re: Very Fast Rendering to sudden Painful Crawl
              Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You should still have CC (version 12 of AE, well, hopefully version 12.2.1.5) on your system. Does it render that same composition at the normal speed?

• 4. Re: Very Fast Rendering to sudden Painful Crawl
                Nateido1 Level 1

Hi Szalam,

Thanks for reply. Having seen no apparent issue with the crossover to 2014, I uninstalled CC. That of course wasn't the smartest thing. However, I've had a few days now of success -- I closed out of absolutely every other program after beginning the encoding in AME, and also closed-down After Effects. Since then, it's been rendering without too much of a hitch. I guess there's a memory issue happening somewhere. Perhaps 2014 is more resource-heavy? Anyway, so far things are going ok. I also "saved as" a CC version of the file, which might also be the reason for the current success.

• 5. Re: Very Fast Rendering to sudden Painful Crawl
                  Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There have been a few issues with memory in AE CC 2014. For example, holding CMD and scrubbing to preview audio (ctrl on Windows), results in a memory leak.

I would suggest, if you have problems in the future, that you download CC version 12 again (make sure you update it to 12.2.1.5). That way you can keep working without trouble until the next bug fix for version 13 comes out.