1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 26, 2014 9:34 AM by Rick Gerard

Random frame order and multiple exposure?

pbara

I've recently started working with After Effects and I'm trying to achieve a very special video motion effect.

I'm saving all the frames of one video separately in order to use them as a source pool for a new video. The idea is to use all the frames in a random order and to show a large amount of frames simultaneously in layers.

So, I need a script to just pick a large number of frames from the pool randomly and show them for a certain time - and every time, when the time's up for one of the frames, it's being replaced by another frame - so in the end, there's always the same amount of random frames being shown but in alternating combinations - the video should be constantly and slowly changing in an endless loop.

It's hard to explain. I hope you understand, what I'm trying to do...

Thanks

• 1. Re: Random frame order and multiple exposure?
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you render your video as an image sequence and then you import your image sequence as footage, but not an image sequence then you will have all of the frames as individual images in your timeline. You can then load them into a new comp, trim them all to however many frames you want to show at a time, say one frame or 5 frames, then use the keyframe assistant to sequence the layers. The randomness can be achieved by rearranging the layers in the comp.

Another approach would be to simply load up your video in the timeline and then enable time remapping. Add a random expression to the time remapping property. Something like this would work. In this example you get a random frame from frame 1 to frame 500:

Screen Shot 2014-07-26 at 9.32.22 AM.png

Math.round(random(1, 300))