5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2014 6:38 AM by Szalam

Help with time and text.

pf12351

Hey guys, as you can tell my name is pf12351. I want to make a p and an f crash together, which then creates a lens flare then it says pf12351. This is for an intro for my youtube videos. I have got the background and all, but I don't know how to make then move to a position over time. Please help, thank you.

• 2. Re: Help with time and text.
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You are asking the most basic of questions. First, you have to understand layers and animating transform properties. Second, you have to know how to apply a lens flare to a solid and then blend that with the underlying video. If you want someone to give you an exact step by step but you don't understand how to set keyframes then you are not going to have much success. The first thing to do is watch these 3 videos so you get a general idea of how AE works. It will take you about a half hour. Basic Workflow  This will take you all the way to rendering your video. Now here's a step by step for the most basic project.

1. Create a new composition using a standard HD preset (1920 X 1080) at the same frame rate you use to shoot your videos. Most commonly this would be this one
            Screen Shot 2014-07-26 at 9.05.53 AM.png
          2. Import your background image to your Project Panel and then drag it to the timeline
          3. Add a text layer and type the letter p
          4. Add another text layer and type the letter f
          5. Select both text layers and hold down the Alt/Option key and press the letter p to set the first keyframe for the position of the two text lyers
          6. Use the direct selection tool (press v) to grab the p text layer and move it to it's starting position
          7. Grab the f text layer and move it to it's starting position
          8. Move the CTI (current time indicator down the timeline to where you want the layers to crash into each layer, let's say at about 40 frames
          9. Now your text layers are crashing into each other - animate any bounce or rebound you would like to add
          10. Create a new black solid above your two text layers and set the in point to the point where you want the lens flair to appear
          11. Set the blend mode of the black solid to Screen
          12. Add the lens flair effect to the black solid by going to Effects>Generate>Lens Flair
          13. Adjust the position and type of lens flair to get what you want
          14. Animate, by enabling the stop watch the flair brightness or other parameters to make the lens flair do what you want it to do
          15. Select both type layers, move the CTI to the time where you want the letters to start to change into the full word and hold down the Alt/Option key and press the letter t to set the first transparency keyframe for the text layers
          16. Move down the timeline to the point where you want the transition to the full word to be complete and change the opacity setting to 0
          17. Set an out point for both text layers (Alt/Option + ])
          18. Add a new text layer just above your p and f text layers and below the Lens Flair layer and type in pf12351
          19. Move the CTI to the point where you set the first keyframe for transparency for your first two text layers and set the in point for your text layer (Alt/Option + [)
          20. With the new text layer selected hold down the Alt/Option key and press the letter t to set an opacity keyframe then change the value to zero
          21. Move down the timeline to the out point of the p and f text layers and adjust the opacity of the pf12351 text layer to 100%
          22. Animate the values in the lens flair layer to make it go do what you want it to do.
          23. Move down the timeline to where the lens flair is no longer visible and set an out point for the lens flair layer (Alt/Option + ]
          24. Make final adjustments and your'e done.
          • 3. Re: Help with time and text.
            pf12351 Level 1

The comment above is over complicated, I don't know how I did this, but this moves the letter: umm.PNGHow did I do that line? I does exactly what I need!

• 4. Re: Help with time and text.
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you don't go to the basic tutorials you will never get anywhere with AE. You are just looking at an indication of the position keyframes. I gave you a complete step-by-step to make two letters crash into each other and then have a lens flare flash so the two letters blend into a word. That is exactly what you ask for.

I can tell by your response and your latest question that you did not even spend 10 minutes looking at the tutorials to learn how After Effects works. After Effects is a complicated program that requires training.

• 5. Re: Help with time and text.
                Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Rick and others are right. You have to get some basics down or you will be frustrated. I like these resources: Getting started with After Effects