17 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2014 11:32 AM by Jao vdL

Lightroom 5 and Nikon D810

kellyneedshelp

Does anyone know when an update will be available to import 810 files directly into LR? The whole DNG conversion is sooooo very tedious

• 1. Re: Lightroom 5 and Nikon D810
          RikkFlohr Adobe Community Professional

Yes. Some people know, probably. Like,they are not allowed to say.

• 2. Re: Lightroom 5 and Nikon D810
            kellyneedshelp Level 1

Could it be soon possibly? I shot my 810 yesterday for a wedding and have another today. Would really like to shoot with it today, but I have NO desire to go through what I've gone through with importing this last one.

• 3. Re: Lightroom 5 and Nikon D810
              RikkFlohr Adobe Community Professional

Could be. The fact that the DNG Converter is in Release Candidate is a positive sign. But, that could mean days… or weeks…

That said, were I you, I would shoot away, use the DNG Converter and move on.  In a good workflow, it is minimal effort (does take some computer time for the computer-not you) and the results are good.

The curse of buying the latest camera the moment it comes out strikes again!

• 4. Re: Lightroom 5 and Nikon D810
                JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I can't see that it would be all that painful. Just use the DNG converter as your download software, and save a second copy to another folder. Ill have the DNG files that you can work on right now, and you'll have the original raw files that you can turn to later. All it takes is to run the DNG converter right at the beginning to download the images, and then the workflow is the same. When the next Lightroom update is released you can go back to your normal workflow.

• 5. Re: Lightroom 5 and Nikon D810
                  kellyneedshelp Level 1

It took 2 hours to convert 1800 raw files to DNG. Then it's still importing to LR now and it's taken 45 minutes. THat's definitely tedious.

• 6. Re: Lightroom 5 and Nikon D810

You would save the two-hour conversion process, but it's doubtful that they will load any faster into Lightroom. I guess that's the penalty you pay for having such high megapixel images. I'm still working with a measly 12 megapixels, and I don't have any problems at all. I guess that's why I don't relate well to those of you who have such new and high-tech equipment.

• 7. Re: Lightroom 5 and Nikon D810
                      kellyneedshelp Level 1

I was CRAZY happy with my D700, but it had about 140,000 shutter clicks and I just couldn't trust it anymore. I just needed a new camera so the 810 was a natural upgrade for me. I DO NOT like the high mp and think it's overkill.

• 8. Re: Lightroom 5 and Nikon D810

The D700 is still available. Why didn't you buy another one?

• 9. Re: Lightroom 5 and Nikon D810
                          Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Or get a D610. Not as crazy high MP as a D810 so not as taxing on your computer. It's also lighter, supported by Lightroom, and just as good (slightly better according to DxoMark) high ISO performance and dynamic range. If you're not doing careful landscape work on a tripod a D810 is almost always overkill.

• 10. Re: Lightroom 5 and Nikon D810
                            mstomphoto

Hi Kelly,

Can you tell me how you're getting the converted DNG files to work in Lightroom? I have the most recent version of Lightroom 5 (fully updated) and a Nikon D810, but everytime I try to add them to the Lightroom catalog I get an error message saying the files are not compatible, even when I choose the CONVERT TO DNG option. Is there some setting in my camera that I need to use? I thought I turned off the small RAW size, but I'm not sure I've done it right.

Thanks to Kelly or anyone who can help with this. BTW, I can copy the files to my hard drive and load them one at a time in Photoshop CC, but I'm wanting to get them into Lightroom so I can more easily see what I've got!

Tom

• 11. Re: Lightroom 5 and Nikon D810
                              kellyneedshelp Level 1

For me it worked, but not for NEFs. Only full size NEF. If you have NEFs, you can export jpg or tiff from the Nikon software.

• 12. Re: Lightroom 5 and Nikon D810

You need to run the nef files through the beta dng converter 8.6 that you can download from the links above. The resulting dng files will load in Lightroom and you get full raw editing capability. The dng converter built into Lightroom does not recognize the D810 raw files.

• 13. Re: Lightroom 5 and Nikon D810
                                  KJH_Photo

During the DNG convert process, set the output folder to a "temp" folder on the same disk that your LR files reside.  When you import use the "move" option rather than the "copy" and it saves lots of time...  If you convert to the source folder (the default, likely on your SD/CF card) it is much slower and then you must copy during import anyway.

• 14. Re: Lightroom 5 and Nikon D810
                                    Simon G E Garrett Level 2

If I had bought a D810, I'd be very frustrated, and banging the table demanding full Adobe support for my images.

But it's a fact of life that if you're an early adopter of almost anything, the full support infrastructure won't be there.  Nikon make it as difficult as possible for users by refusing to provide advance information to the very people that support their users and their market.  But that's Nikon for you: they have no conception of what users want, and appear not to care.

I'm no great fan of Adobe, but in this case, it's Nikon's fault, not Adobe's. 

• 15. Re: Lightroom 5 and Nikon D810
                                      mstomphoto Level 1

Hi Kelly, what Nikon software -- do you know whats its called? I left my manual/box at home once I went on the road. Thanks!

• 16. Re: Lightroom 5 and Nikon D810
                                        mstomphoto Level 1

Hi Jao -- sorry I don't see any links to the beta DNG converter. Is it somewhere in this thread?  You mean this one, right?

Download Adobe Photoshop Camera Raw 8.6 Beta - Adobe Labs

• 17. Re: Lightroom 5 and Nikon D810

Yes exactly. If you click on the checkbox in that link that you have read the agreement, you will see a download link for DNG converter 8.6. Download that and run your D810 nefs through it using the default settings. The resulting dngs will import and work in Lightroom 5.5. I am sure that Adobe will tweak the included profiles for the D810 in the final release so be aware that color rendering might subtly change in the release.