16 Replies Latest reply on Jul 27, 2014 12:09 PM by A.T. Romano

How do I restore media in Elements 12?

Zoe Young

I have reopened near completed project, all files unmoved since last edit, to find all media offline.

Attempting to restore, some of the files reconnect, but most give this error message: 'This type of file is not supported, or the required codec is not installed'.

Given that I'd been editing with them until lately and not made any changes to the set up, this doesn't make sense...

Has there been an update in the last few weeks, that means I I need to download some new codecs? If so, where do I find guidance to do this?

I am not very technically minded and new to Premiere (had used AVID up to now..) so could do with 'idiot-level' advice

Please help? Thanks!

• 1. Re: How do I restore media in Elements 12?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Zoe Young

What you describe is the type of nasty media disconnect issues that are the consequence of moved, deleted, or renamed files/folders after the project was saved closed....not a codec issue.

If you know the existing files still exist, you can use the project "Where is the file.....?" messages to reconnect missing media. Or, use the Replace Footage feature which will replace the file but should replace the original file and retain the edits of that were made to that file before the media disconnect.

Please check out the following...

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE11: Replace Footage

Another source of the media disconnect issue is storage of the source media on an external hard drive that is for some reason spontaneously changing drive letters.

Keys to success..."Where is the file....?" message and making sure that you are pointing the message to the correct source file (name, type et al)

We will be watching for your progress.

Thank you.

ATR

For further reference....

Adobe Premiere Elements 11 * Archiving projects

• 2. Re: How do I restore media in Elements 12?
            helen zanzibar

I agree with ATR - somehow the source connection to the original clips has been lost.  I have yet to experience that and always have to remember that i keep it on an external - you could also keep them in a dropbox account as well.  I have yet to use 'where is a file'.  Good luck Zoe

• 3. Re: How do I restore media in Elements 12?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

helen zansibar

The external hard drive save of media is not a guarantee or safeguard to running into the missing media syndrome. That drive letter can change spontaneously (and more than likely to with a lot of plug-ins-outs-ins of the external hard drive).  But, good place to store source media if you keep an eye on the drive letter, and the capacity of the drive makes it worthwhile.

The Premiere Elements project has only copies of the originals at their save location(s). And, the copies need always to trace back to the originals at their save location. Consequently what caught my attention about your post was what seemed to me to be the suggestion of a Dropbox account as a storage place for source media for a given Premiere Elements project, thus necessitating the connection between the Premiere Elements project's file copy and the Dropbox web site. Is that what that is all about? If so, have you tried that? We would be interesting in learning of your experiences with at Dropbox save location for media imported into a Premiere Elements project.

ATR

• 4. Re: How do I restore media in Elements 12?
                Tofu_68

I had this issue once and also hadn't changed anything. I can't remember exactly what the problem was, but I don't think it's about codecs, and more likely to be connected to your trial running out? See if you can somehow check the state of your Adobe license.

• 5. Re: How do I restore media in Elements 12?
                  Zoe Young Level 1

Thanks Tofu, this sounds like the most likely cause as there does seem to be an issue with the version of premiere I am using.

• 6. Re: How do I restore media in Elements 12?
                    Zoe Young Level 1

Thanks for your suggestion.

However, I guess I was not clear enough above that I have already gone through the standard procedures to reconnect, only to find that:

"some of the files reconnect, but most give this error message: 'This type of file is not supported, or the required codec is not installed'.

Given that I'd been editing with them until lately and not made any changes to the set up, this doesn't make sense..."

In this instance I am assuming that the problem lies with the version of premiere I am using, which although it was purchased, appears to think it is a trial version. Looks like I will have to sort out this problem out first, Then see if the codecs etc fix themselves.

• 7. Re: How do I restore media in Elements 12?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Tofu_68

You do not get "This type of file is not supported, or the required codec is not installed" when is the tryout has expired or is near the 30 day tryout period.

ATR

• 8. Re: How do I restore media in Elements 12?
                        Zoe Young Level 1

Hi ATR

If you think it's not due to this issue, do you have any other ideas of what might be the cause?

Would love to know - before I spend a lot more time trying to get a new license for a software that was otherwise working fine!

Cheers

• 9. Re: How do I restore media in Elements 12?
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Zoe Young

Thank you for the reply and further information.

You wrote

In this instance I am assuming that the problem lies with the version of premiere I am using, which although it was purchased, appears to think it is a trial version. Looks like I will have to sort out this problem out first, Then see if the codecs etc fix themselves.

If you imported those media into this same project in the first place, then the following is not a valid assumption when are you referring to "support" issues

In this instance I am assuming that the problem lies with the version of premiere I am using

You started this Premiere Elements 12 project and you are still in this Premiere Elements 12 project. Correct?

With regard to

although it was purchased, appears to think it is a trial version

What is telling you that? Are you getting dialog which say "License This Product" or "Buy"? If so, click on License This Product" and insert your purchased serial number when asked for it. That type of message can happen from time to time. Obviously you are online posting in this thread. But, are you running Premiere Elements 12 with an Internet connection?

Let me ask you to verify the following scenario....

1. You open your project....it opens to a "Where is the file....?" message.

2. You know where the file is that the message is asking about....you go there, click on the file, and click Select.

3. Now you say that at this moment you get hit with the "This type of file is not supported, or the required codec is not installed".

What if...

1. You open your project....click "Skip All" to the first "Where is the file.....?" message so that you opened to the project with all its

missing media displays.

2. What happens if you know the location of the missing file and use the Replace Footage feature to replace the missing media? See post 1

for Replace Footage How To link. At the end of Replace Footage command, do you again see the "This type of file is not supported, or the required codec is not installed" message?

Depending on what the above tells us, please consider posting a screenshot of the message that is

a. displaying the "This type of file is not supported, or the required codec is not installed"

and

b. telling you that you are working with a tryout version

Please be sure that there is no personal information included in the screenshots.

Please do not hesitate to let me know if I have interpreted your details correctly.

Thank you.

ATR

• 10. Re: How do I restore media in Elements 12?
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Zoe Young

I just saw your post numbered 8 that got posted before my post numbered 9. Please check out the post 9 details.

As for the tryout versus the purchased....apparently you are not dealing with a new license. You are just reestablishing your installed program's activation with purchased serial number. There is no fees associated with that and should take seconds to do. Adobe allows the purchased serial number on no more than two of your computers. Is that a factor in all this?

Some of these issues that start with and include media reconnect matters can get very nasty and frustrating. Worst case, starting a new project. But, until all the details are in, we will try to determine the whys and resolve them.

More later.

ATR

• 11. Re: How do I restore media in Elements 12?
                              Zoe Young Level 1

In this instance I am assuming that the problem lies with the version of premiere I am using

You started this Premiere Elements 12 project and you are still in this Premiere Elements 12 project. Correct?

Correct.

With regard to

although it was purchased, appears to think it is a trial version

What is telling you that? Are you getting dialog which say "License This Product" or "Buy"? If so, click on License This Product" and insert your purchased serial number when asked for it. That type of message can happen from time to time. Obviously you are online posting in this thread. But, are you running Premiere Elements 12 with an Internet connection?

It is a laptop from work (where everyone is on leave) so I am not party to the licensing for the moment.

No, it is not currently working online.

Let me ask you to verify the following scenario....

1. You open your project....it opens to a "Where is the file....?" message.

2. You know where the file is that the message is asking about....you go there, click on the file, and click Select.

3. Now you say that at this moment you get hit with the "This type of file is not supported, or the required codec is not installed".

yes, this is what I did. It worked for some clips, not for others. with those I received the codec error message.

What if...

1. You open your project....click "Skip All" to the first "Where is the file.....?" message so that you opened to the project with all its

missing media displays.

2. What happens if you know the location of the missing file and use the Replace Footage feature to replace the missing media? See post 1

for Replace Footage How To link. At the end of Replace Footage command, do you again see the "This type of file is not supported, or the required codec is not installed" message?

Had tried that first. Seemed to be all the files offline, which is why I tried the former approach.

Depending on what the above tells us, please consider posting a screenshot of the message that is

a. displaying the "This type of file is not supported, or the required codec is not installed"

and

b. telling you that you are working with a tryout version

I can try but as that machine is not online it will be a bit of a faff. Just out of interest, before I dove into the technicalities of sorting it, what information might that add?

Please be sure that there is no personal information included in the screenshots.

Please do not hesitate to let me know if I have interpreted your details correctly.

Thank you.

ATR

and thank YOU

• 12. Re: How do I restore media in Elements 12?
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Zoe Young

Thanks for the replies.

Since this is a computer from work and you are working without an Internet connection, all sorts of possibilities exist.

If no screenshots, could you include in one of your posts the properties of a specific file that is among the missing according to Premiere Elements project and for which Premiere Elements is giving the "This type of file is not supported, or the required codec is not installed".

There could be questions about administrative permissions, feature activations that need one time activation via Internet connection, and so on.

Will you be returning to your work environment tomorrow Monday where an Internet connection would be available and the IT people could check for

permissions. Does the computer also have the latest version of QuickTime installed on it? Not sure if you will have computer permission to install it.

I will try to work with whatever information you can supply on your situation.

Right now, a viable approach might be to compare the properties of those files that would reconnect with those that are not and throwing out the

"This type of file is not supported, or the required codec is not installed".

Thanks for the follow ups.

ATR

Add On...These considerations apply to purchased as well as tryout.

• 13. Re: How do I restore media in Elements 12?
                                  Tofu_68 Level 1

I disagree A.T Romano,

I had this problem and spent hours milling over lost codecs, un-installing and re-installing etc. etc. etc. But when I got the license in order, all was well.

It's easy to eliminate whether it's a CODEC issue by simply playing the raw video file in VLC player (for example) If it works then Premiere is likely the problem.

This article by Adobe explains why this happens, as most CODECS are third party: Trial version limitations | Adobe Premiere Pro | CS5, CS5.5, CS6

The license ran out, trial mode has been automatically implemented, third party CODECS no longer work. End of. ;-)

• 14. Re: How do I restore media in Elements 12?
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Tofu_68

Thanks for the reply.

Not quite, "End of:"

Pending further information, I am forced to disagree with your "I disagree A.T. Romano".

There are a lot of variables in Zoe Young's problem set to evaluate. Have you read Zoe Young's deeper details into that situation?  Moreover....

Until you can offer Premiere Elements information on a Premiere Elements matter in the Adobe Premiere Elements Forum, I maintain what I wrote

You do not get "This type of file is not supported, or the required codec is not installed" when is the tryout has expired or is near the 30 day tryout period.

to you.

The Adobe document that you offer is applicable to Trial Version Limitations for Adobe Premiere Pro CS5, CS5.5, and CS6.

Premiere Pro.JPG

You did not bother to mention in your original post, what version of Premiere Elements you are using. I am not

ready to say that Premiere Pro tryout limitations = Premiere Elements tryout details. If you were using a Premier Elements tryout and/or purchased product in the work that you reported, then I will revisit the matter since I am always looking for the Premiere Elements answers to Premiere Elements questions presented here.

ATR

• 15. Re: How do I restore media in Elements 12?
                                      Tofu_68 Level 1

Fair enough.

It's my understanding that the third-party codecs mentioned in the above Adobe article also apply to Elements. As it wouldn't make sense the Adobe owns CODECS for only some of their software. They either do or don't... or it's open-source.

Your probably right about the statement ''You do not get "This type of file is not supported, or the required codec is not installed" when is the tryout has expired or is near the 30 day tryout period.'' As my point is (and Adobe's) the trials themselves are limited by what CODECS you can use. Furthermore, if the trial has expired then there's no access to the program.

Zoe was probably using a common third party CODEC like AVCHD.

I've never used Elements, just PPro - but recognised the error message, and history of events leading up to it, and what I think the likely cause is.

• 16. Re: How do I restore media in Elements 12?
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Tofu_68

Thanks for the reply. Appreciated.

We are both after the same goal, helping Zoe Young. There is a lot going on in Zoe Young's situation and details to yet be included.

We will look forward to further developments.

Best wishes

ATR