4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 27, 2014 5:06 AM by elie-d

Monitor Settings

AbbyEmmy

I have a Viewsonic vx2270smh Super Clear IPS monitor.  I am shooting in raw and have my camera set to Adobe RGB which gives you more colors than in sRGB.   I want to edit my pictures in Lightroom 5 and I do not know what setting to set my monitor to?  All that is available is sRGB or Native.  If I have to set the monitor to sRGB then should my camera setting also be set to sRGB?  I would like to have the colors that show up on the monitor to be as close as possible between monitor and printed out picture.  Should I have gotten a different monitor that has Adobe RGB and if so, what kind but can't afford $600 for a monitor.  Thanks for any help or suggestions

• 1. Re: Monitor Settings
          RikkFlohr Adobe Community Professional

When you set your camera to Adobe RGB, it only affects JPEG and the JPEG previews embedded in the Raw, not the Raw itself.

If you don't have a profiling tool for your monitor, set it to the sRGB standard profile.

If you want your monitor to be as close as possible to the printer, you really need to profile it with a color calibration tool.

• 2. Re: Monitor Settings
            AbbyEmmy Level 1

Thanks for your reply.  Sorry but I am fairly new to all of this.  If I am understanding you correctly, then should I then set my camera to sRGB instead of the Adobe RGB when shooting in raw?  And what is a profiling tool for my monitor?  Do you mean I should also calibrate my monitor and then have it set to sRGB also?

• 3. Re: Monitor Settings
              Keith_Reeder Level 4

Abby, none of these are Lightroom questions - you might want to Google "monitor profiling".

• 4. Re: Monitor Settings
                elie-d Level 4

AbbyEmmy, Raws are not color images and thus cannot inhabit a color space. What you set in your camera has absolutely no effect on the Raw and it is only when you export a color image from LR that you set the color space of the exported image.

It is not true that Adobe RGB "gives you more colors." The number of possible colors in an image is determined by its bit depth alone, not by its color space. Since all jpgs are 8 bits per channel, Adobe RGB jpgs and sRGB jpgs can both contain up to 16.8 million colors. The difference between the two spaces is that Adobe RGB distributes its 16.8 million colors over a wider range, particularly in the greens, even extending to greens that don't exist in nature, although they can be found in bright green plastic toys, for example. But if your subject doesn't have that wide a color range, a portrait for instance will fit inside the narrower range of sRGB, you are better off exporting in sRGB. Also, your choice of space should be compatible with how the image will be used. Web site postings and files sent to a lab for printing should be in sRGB.