5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 26, 2014 11:39 AM by Kevvand

InDesign page color

Kevvand

Hi, I have made a simple Flyer. The first thing I did was to make the document color a golden yellow. I then created my flyer. When I saved the flyer as a .pdf, the page color is now white. I don't know why. Any ideas?

(I am relatively new to InDesign.)

• 1. Re: InDesign page color
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

You changed the paper swatch, right?

Common beginner mistake. That color is simply to simulate the color of the paper it will be printed on and nothing else.

If you really want to print that color you’ll need to go the master page, draw a frame and fill it with the color you want.

• 2. Re: InDesign page color
            Kevvand Level 1

I did, I double clicked on the PAPER swatch and changed it there.

Also, I will be printing on that color paper, but I also want to be able to view the document in the color I chose on the internet.

Ah, ok, let me try going to the Master page and change the co;or there. I'll try it now. Thanks.

• 3. Re: InDesign page color
              Kevvand Level 1

That worked, thanks.

• 4. Re: InDesign page color
                rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Also, I will be printing on that color paper, but I also want to be able to view the document in the color I chose on the internet

If you are printing on colored paper then you don't want to add a colored frame to the master because you will end up printing a colored ink on colored paper. InDesign allows you to softproof printing on non-white papers by changing the [Paper] swatch which always prints as 0|0|0|0 CMYK no matter what color you assign it. AcrobatPro has a similar feature in Output Preview—Set Page Background Color.

For the best preview you have to turn on Overprint Preview, but keep in mind colored paper soft proofs might not be particularly accurate. The ink density could really change color.

So Red CMYK on white, a random green [Paper] color, followed by green paper with OP turned on.

Screen Shot 2014-07-26 at 2.31.37 PM.png

Screen Shot 2014-07-26 at 2.31.18 PM.png

Offset inks are transparent, so OP is more accurate

Screen Shot 2014-07-26 at 2.31.23 PM.png

• 5. Re: InDesign page color
                  Kevvand Level 1

I totally  understand. I have two copies currently saved. One with no background to be printed on the color paper, the other with a background color to be used on the internet. (FaceBook)

Thanks for the help