7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2014 7:17 AM by John T Smith

SSD for Wife's computer

John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I have the idea that once I build my new computer next week (parts arrive Monday... i7-4930k using Samsung 840 Pro 256Gig SSD for boot) that she is going to want FASTER startup and program loading

The price difference between the Samsung ($200) and Crucial M550 ($150) is not that great at 256Gig... IF I can clone her 500Gig platter drive down to 256Gig (have to read at Samsung & Crucial)

The price difference between the Samsung ($420) and Crucial M550 ($245) is large at the 512Gig size

Her computer has an i7-3770 CPU so I'm wondering what benefits the Samsung would provide over the Crucial for $175 more?

• 2. Re: SSD for Wife's computer

Thanks... for the $175 difference, the Samsung doesn't offer "enough" for her computer... I'm going to make the Crucial my 1st choice when she notices my program loading speed

• 3. Re: SSD for Wife's computer
            JFPhoton Level 3

John,

I just completed the newest PPBM6 test for CCloud 2014 with my laptop.....which is ALMOST identical to Bill Gehrke's. One difference is that I have the Crucial M500, ( NOT 550) SSD as the "project drive" for the test and Bill used the Samsung 840 Pro SSD.

He outscored me HUGE in the "disk transfer" test.....he had 495 MB per sec. vs. my 386 MB per sec !!!! I know that the 550 series is faster and that Eric recommends them, but, after seeing these test results, I would lean toward the 840 series...or, even the NEW 850 series, if affordible. I must say the new 2014 CC version of PPro performs INCREDIBLY well on this new laptop....it is like having a top desktop from only a little while ago ....it FLIES through DSLR and other formerly difficult footage like BUTTER....with MANY tracks and effects !

• 4. Re: SSD for Wife's computer

>if affordible

I went over budget on my 4930k build when I decided to switch from platter drives to all SSD, so my computer $$ is at a deficit for the rest of the year (maybe longer!) but I do want to be prepared for when the wife says 'WOW' and asks 'how can my computer boot/load that fast?'

Compared to her current 7200rpm platter drive the M550 will be a speed demon... and, as you say, Eric at ADK likes the Crucial

So, for the $175 savings, I'm still going to keep the M550 at the top of my list... and, IF she doesn't say anything about my boot/loading speed, I won't worry

• 5. Re: SSD for Wife's computer

>IF she doesn't say anything about my boot/loading speed

Well... so much for THAT thought!!! Crucial M550 CT512M550SSD1 2.5" 512GB SATA 6Gbps MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) …

When she saw my "about" 2 seconds (not using a stop watch) from Win8 password to program is loaded and ready... her 1st words were something like "I Want!"

So, once I finish with my new computer and get my side of the office put back together (old computer goes in the box to sell) looks like I'll be ordering a Crucial M550 512Gig to replace her platter 500Gig boot drive

And the beat goes on...

• 6. Re: SSD for Wife's computer

Ordered M550 for wife this morning (have to keep her from drooling over on my side of the office!) so should have it by early next week

• 7. Re: SSD for Wife's computer

SSD arrived yesterday, wife is out for the day at a gardening event, so took her computer apart and put it back together with the SSD

Migrated platter boot drive with the Paragon software that I bought with the drive @Newegg and disconnected old drive once Bios adjusted for new boot order

Now, I'm going to wait and see if she says anything about the startup & software loading speed difference

ADDED - I'm laughing to myself... I watch her click a program icon and see the nearly instant loading, and she hasn't said a word... I guess I will have to say something, someday... or maybe not!