3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 27, 2014 4:51 PM by SJClemens

In LR 4.4, I have 5,000 photos.  Only 2,900 have dates in Library.  Where are they?

SJClemens

In LR 4.4, I have 5,000 photos.  About 2,900 are in Library, organized and grouped by dates taken.  2,000 others are in "All Pictures" but not inside individual dated folders. 

Where are they? 

How can I organize these 2,000 photos into dated folders so they appear in my Library?

• 1. Re: In LR 4.4, I have 5,000 photos.  Only 2,900 have dates in Library.  Where are they?
          areohbee Level 5

At the risk of stating the obvious, they are in the "not organized by date taken" folder(s).

I *think* Lightroom relies exclusively on date taken to organize into dated folders upon import, so I *think* the only way to do it at this point is to:

* Assign date-taken, even if estimated, to all photos where such date is missing.

* Re-import.

If your file-created date would be a fair approximation, then you can use the MetaRep plugin's 'Copy File-Created Date To Capture Time' preset to do it.

Confession: I wrote the plugin.

PS - Consider waiting until somebody confirms or denies my thinking (or verify for yourself), before acting..

Rob

• 2. Re: In LR 4.4, I have 5,000 photos.  Only 2,900 have dates in Library.  Where are they?
            SJClemens Level 1

Rob:

Thanks for your speedy reply!

I “think" you are right.  But since I work with LR infrequently and don’t know the processes that well, I’ve been reluctant to try something, fearing I may make matters worse.

Apparently I did not assign dates to these photos when importing them.  I thought that step was “automatic” or at least “unavoidable” in earlier versions of LR.  Maybe not!  Maybe I skipped a step.

Anyhow, my thought, like yours, is to step through the "un-folderized photos, putting each group into folders and assign dates.  That might get them where I can find them chronologically in the Library?    But I’m not sure how to do that.  Can you explain that for me?

BTW, my photos are primarily from trips so dates will not be hard to establish!

Steve Clemens

steveclem1@comcast.net

• 3. Re: In LR 4.4, I have 5,000 photos.  Only 2,900 have dates in Library.  Where are they?
              SJClemens Level 1

Rob:

Thanks for your speedy reply!

I “think" you are right.  But since I work with LR infrequently and don’t know the processes that well, I’ve been reluctant to try something, fearing I may make matters worse.

Apparently I did not assign dates to these photos when importing them.  I thought that step was “automatic” or at least “unavoidable” in earlier versions of LR.  Maybe not!  Maybe I skipped a step.

Anyhow, my thought, like yours, is to step through the "un-folderized photos, putting each group into folders and assign dates.  That might get them where I can find them chronologically in the Library?    But I’m not sure how to do that.  Can you explain that for me?

BTW, my photos are primarily from trips so dates will not be hard to establish!