8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2014 5:27 AM by Gary199

Chapter overflow error

Gary199 Level 1

I am using Premiere Elements 12 trial version.  When I burn AVCHD video to a Blu Ray disc I get a 'chapter overflow' error when burning hits 98%.  In general, what is a 'chapter overflow'?

• 1. Re: Chapter overflow error
          A.T. Romano Level 7

gary199

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 12 tryout running on? Have you updated 12 to 12.1 via the project's Help Menu/Update. If not, please do so.

I could not believe my eyes when I saw "Chapter Overflow Error" as your Premiere Elements 12 trial version issue. This is not necessarily a tryout issue. It has been seen in several versions of Premiere Elements purchased product. Most of the reports surfaced about 2011 around the time of Premiere Elements 9. But, I do recall seeing one report about Chapter Overflow for Premiere Elements 11 recently, but I do not see where it went anywhere.

Chapter Overflow is a Premiere Elements (several versions) burn to Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc error which has many fixes or no fix. Its cause is unknown. The fixes ranged from type of disc, to 3rd party conflicting software on the computer, to burner drive, and so on. The issue peaked in this 2011 thread at another forum which I no longer visit. You will see my heavy involvement in thread.

Chapter Overflow - Elements Village

There were other reports at other forums but none of the intensity and scope of the thread cited. But, the best way to gauge what Chapter Overflow is all about is to read through that huge thread cited.

Since 2011, I have not seen Chapter Overflow error in my own Premiere Elements 4 through 12 on different Windows computers (tryout out or purchased product).

Please review and consider and then we can discuss in details how this all relates to your situation and what troubleshooting strategy is indicated.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Chapter overflow error
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Long shot here, but try Run as Administrator http://forums.adobe.com/thread/969395 [says Encore and also for "All" versions of Premiere] will sometimes fix "odd" errors

• 3. Re: Chapter overflow error
              A.T. Romano Level 7

John T. Smith

I know that you say long shot. It is far more than that if you have read the history on Chapter Overflow which is specifically associated with the Premiere Elements burn to Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc and lived through the Chapter Overflow troubleshooting.

If Chapter Overflow is indeed the message that is appearing in this case at the end of the burn to Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc and a Run As Administrator application fixes the issue, it will come as a major shock to the many Premiere Elements users who have been there and done battle with this Chapter Overflow message which appears to have nothing to do with menu Chapters.

We will be watching for gary199 follow up.

ATR

• 4. Re: Chapter overflow error
                Gary199 Level 1

Thanks for the replies.  My os is Vista business using an intel duo core CPU with 2 GB of memory, 2 HDDs, and the latest LG  Blu ray burner.  I plan on buying a computer that is more suitable for video editing in the near future.  For now, however, I am just processing 5 or 6 minute video clips while learning how to use PE12.

• 5. Re: Chapter overflow error
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Gary199

Thank you for the reply.

Although 2 GB RAM installed is more than enough to get the program installed, you need more when you get into your project, especially HD/Blu-ray type. For starters, think more like 8 GB installed RAM. On Windows, Premiere Elements 10, 11, and 12 will be a 64 bit application that can take advantage of the greater resources of a 64 bit ONLY on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit. Otherwise it is a 32 bit application (with all the resource limitations of 32 bit system) running as 32 bit whether the Windows operating system is 32 or 64 bit). Consequently, your Premiere Elements 12 running on Vista (32 or 64 bit) has at least two limitations, namely, low installed RAM and 32 bit application with its max installed RAM = 4 GB of which 3.2 to 3.0 or less of that are available.

As for Blu-ray burner....I have an LG 12X internal that has worked fine for me to date. I believe that I mentioned in the thread cited one fleeting encounter that I had with Chapter Overflow. The main concerns with Blu-ray burner should include "Is your Blu-ray burner and Blu-ray disc being recognized by Premiere Elements". And, it is important not to have a check mark next to "Fit Content to Available Space" for Space Required shown at less than 23 GB. Chapter Overflow has nothing to do with menu chapters, and cause of that error is unknown. But the issue has resolved for many by various means. A change in computer operating system may be your particular answer? Consequently, tryout before purchase in the operating system to be used is important.

Classically Chapter Overflow is an error that can occur at the end of the Premiere Elements burn to Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc. You might want to explore the Premiere Elements 12/12.1 burn to AVCHD on DVD disc. (You do not need a Blu-ray burner for that.) You should not be running into Chapter Overflow with AVCHD on DVD disc. Let us see.

Check List Type Mentions

1. Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer with Premiere Elements 12/12.1. If not, please do so. A requirement.

2. Did you install the 12.1 Update of 12 and are working from it. If not, please do so via the project's Help Menu/Update.

3. For overall program, are you running Premiere Elements 12/12.1 from a User Account with Administrative Privileges and also have applied Run As Administrator via the program's desktop icon? Both Premiere Elements (any version) and QuickTime require the Administrative Privileges.

Please review and consider. If any questions on this of any of your Premiere Elements workflows, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 6. Re: Chapter overflow error
                    Gary199 Level 1

Gary199, thanks for all the useful info provided.  I am use to editing *.avi files in PP2 on the Vista machine which works fine for that, but using PE12 with HD video is a whole new experience.  A much more powerful computer dedicated to video and photo editing seems the way to go.

• 7. Re: Chapter overflow error
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Gary199

Do you have temporary access to Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit computer where you could road test Premiere Elements 12 and the burn to Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc?

ATR

• 8. Re: Chapter overflow error
                        Gary199 Level 1

Yes, and I plan on doing that.