4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 31, 2014 1:25 PM by A.T. Romano

Save a single clip out of a file of multiple clips

MonkinJack

Hello:  I have a VHS video tape that was used to archive multiple scenes shot by a DV camera.  I can load the entire VHS tape as a single file into Adobe Premiere Elements 12 and have cut the source into multiple clips.  What I would like to do now is save each clip as a separate .avi file so that I can then import same to the Organizer.

I have found the Export item under the File menu hoping that is the command that will enable me to save (export) clips as separate .avi files but I can't understand how to enable it.

Am I on the right track with the Export command or are there other ways to save separate clips as individual .avi files to my PC?

Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks,

John

• 1. Re: ave a single clip out of a file of multiple clips
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

File-Export is for your project file, not video files

The Elements Tutorial Links Page http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1275830 may help

• 2. Re: Save a single clip out of a file of multiple clips
            A.T. Romano Level 7

MonkinJack

Short version...

Premiere Elements 12 File Menu/Export is now for Title only and only after the copy of the Title is highighted in Expert workspace Project Assets.

"Project file" was never part of the equation with File Menu/Export even when it included Movie besides Title choice. So I am not sure where John is coming from when he write "File-Export is for your project file....." The project file is a .prel file; the title file is a .prtl file.

Details About Exports AVI Files from Premiere Elements 12/12.1...

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 12 running on? For now, I will assume Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit. I will also assume that you are in a NTSC and not PAL setup.

The File Menu/Export/Movie has not been a feature in Premiere Elements since Premiere Elements 7. If you want to export the Timeline as  DV AVI standard or widescreen in Premiere Elements 12/12.1, then you use Publish+Share/Computer AVI with Presets = DV NTSC Standard or DV NTSC Widescreen.

Important: Publish+Share/Computer/ has many choices. It might appear that there are only 3 choices, that is, Adobe Flash Video, MPEG, and AVCHD. But there are more. AVI is further down the list and has to be scrolled to to see. The scroll bar in thin and to the right of the choices.

Premiere Elements does not allow for more than 1 export at a time. Exporting more than one at a time might be found in a free program such as MPEG Streamclip.

Premiere Elements does allow for selective export of Timeline content. The keys to success there involve the two "must do" steps

1. set the gray tabs of the Work Area Bar to span just the content to be exported

and

2. place a check mark next to "Share Work Area Bar Only" in the export settings.

The gray tabs of the Work Area Bar can be set by moving them in place with the mouse cursor or using shortcuts. For the shortcuts....

Move the Timeline Indicator to the start of the segment for export, as you hold down the Alt key of the computer main keyboard, hit the left bracket key [

Move the Timeline Indicator to the end of the segment for export, as you hold down the Alt key of the computer main keyboard, hit the right bracket key ]

Please review and consider and then we can discuss the above further if necessary.

ATR

• 3. Re: Save a single clip out of a file of multiple clips
              MonkinJack Level 1

ATR:  That's exactly what I needed.  Yeah!  Admittedly, I did not see the AVI option in the "Computer: Choose Location and Settings" list; but after you pointed it out, I followed your instructions for setting the In and Out points for the Workbar and then enabled the "Share Work Area Bar Only" option.  I can now load my multi-hour long files into PE12 just once and then save their component clips as independently named .avi files.  Your answer was just what I needed. Thanks!

• 4. Re: Save a single clip out of a file of multiple clips
                A.T. Romano Level 7

MonkinJack

Thank you very much for the follow up which will be helpful to all.

Glad to learn that you are moving forward in your Premiere Elements projects. Well done.

Best wishes

ATR