3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2014 8:49 AM by A.T. Romano

Will Premiere Elements 12 work with the  NVIDIA GFORCE GT 820M GPU?

mimisonia123

I am researching new computers, and we want to buy Premiere Elements 12. The computer we are looking at comes with an NVIDIA GFORCE GT 820M GPU. This GPU does not appear in the list of "certified" GPUs on the Adobe web site. I was just wondering if Premiere Elements will work with this type of GPU?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Will Premiere Elements 12 work with the  NVIDIA GFORCE GT 820M GPU?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

mimisonia123

What computer operating system is involved?

With the exception of Premiere Elements 10, Premiere Elements works with most NVIDIA and ATI video cards/graphics cards.

The CUDA cards for Premiere Pro do not apply to Premiere Elements which, since version 8.0/8.0.1, does not even have GPU effects or transitions.

NVIDIA lists the GT820M as a "CUDA Enabled GeForce Product"

CUDA GPUs

GeForce 820M Dedicated Graphics | GeForce

My answer to your question is a "probably yes" but CUDA Enabled is not applicable to Premiere Elements.

Unless you get a definite answer from a Premiere Elements 12/12.1 user here who is using the card in his/her particular computer operating system with Premiere Elements 12/12.1, I would consider contacting NVIDIA for its input.

Are you thinking about staying with Premiere Elements or going to Premiere Pro in the near future?

ATR

• 2. Re: Will Premiere Elements 12 work with the  NVIDIA GFORCE GT 820M GPU?
            mimisonia123 Level 1

ATR,

Thanks for your reply. The computer is a Lenovo with a dual core i7 processor. It comes with Windows 8 installed. We are looking at Premiere Elements for now because we are just starting to get into video editing. I would say I am a "casual user" and will probably just be using the software to manipulate home videos of our baby or other non-professional type activities.

Any additional input would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Michelle

• 3. Re: Will Premiere Elements 12 work with the  NVIDIA GFORCE GT 820M GPU?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Michelle

Thanks for the reply.

If you presently have the computer, then best to download and install the free 30 day tryout of Premiere Elements 12 from Adobe to determine it compatibility with your computer environment and your video editing goals. Keep in mind that annually Adobe has been releasing a new version of Premiere Elements around September. If history repeats the ritual, there should be a new version of the program in a month or so. No one but Adobe knows the feature set for the new version. That information is released the moment of the release of the new version.

If you have not yet purchased the computer, then I would weigh the price considerations related to the video card/graphics card offered with a particular model. I have found from personal experience the Lenovo has many, many variations under a same computer name. I would probably pay for more RAM and hard drive space before getting a CUDA enable video card/graphics card (which Premiere Elements cannot take advantage of) if I did not see Premiere Pro in the near future.

Make sure of all the computer features included before purchase.

ATR