• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

screen size in windows 8.1 - all icons too small! How do I enlarge the entire captivate 8 screen?

New Here ,
Jul 27, 2014 Jul 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The entire Captivate 8 screen to too small. How do I enlarge the entire window? All icons and thumbnails are 1/4 the size they should be. Using Windows 8.1.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 28, 2014 Jul 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving this discussion to the Adobe Captivate forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 01, 2015 Sep 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Can you please post a link to that? i.e. where the staff member moves it tot he captivate forum...I cant find it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 26, 2014 Aug 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any solutions? I have this problem as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 26, 2014 Aug 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you show us a screen shot of this issue? Which specific icons are you talking about?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2014 Aug 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2014-08-27 at 11.19.37 AM.png

Everything is too small. I can barely see the icons! Any suggestions? Every other program I have works normally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't look like there is a solution out there yet.... however I did discover a work around..... I hope this helps others.

I took the resolution all the way down.

That didn't work at first, after busting into the advanced settings and tinkering around it all came together. (I think) the Hi DPI settings were just resetting to default because of the retina display....so I had to go into Advanced Settings > HD Graphics Control Panel > Scaling and select "Scale full screen"

In addition I had to go to the exe under programs and right click>Properties> Compatibility> Disable Display Scaling on Hi DPI settings and Run this program in compatibility mode for Windows 7  (I already had the Run as Admin selected because I use a 64 bit OS)

Normal sized again! I can actually read it!

Well this worked, but it IS NOT A SOLUTION. Maybe......Captivate should look into a UI Display update for the Windows 8.1 users with Hi DPI.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 28, 2014 Aug 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Well, if you are using a high resolution display, you will certainly more often experience too small screen elements, especially with older programs (and most Adobe programs). These programs don't react correctly on the Windows settings, because the programmers weren't aware of todays hi-res screens. You can solve this problem for all programs as follows:

1) download the program "Manifest View 1.0" from https://mscblogs.blob.core.windows.net/media/kennykerr/Media/ManifestView.zip

This utility reads out the so called "manifest", a textfile with settings for screen resolution handling from the .exe file of the program in question. The manifest opens in the text editor. Remove all the "-" signs at the beginning of the lines. Search for a line that reads <dpiAware>true</dpiAware> and replace true by false.

2) Save the manifest in the same folder as the program. Name it to "program.exe.manifest", where "program" is exactly the same name as the program file, i.e. "photoshop.exe.manifest".

3) Add a dword-key to the windows-registry

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SideBySide\PreferExternalManifest  and set it to to 1

as described under http://csi-windows.com/toolkit/manifestutils. This key enables windows 7/8 to prefer external manifest files instead of using the internals.

Now your program uses the windows settings for screen size, magnification factor etc. instead of the built in settings. All other programs remain unchanged. Worked great for me on a 3200 * 1800 screen without affecting anything else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 29, 2014 Dec 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What Captivate file do you open to make that change?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 03, 2015 Apr 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ulec2014, you are my hero! Your technique worked great, and it has eliminated an ongoing headache for me because I'm on a high resolution Yoga 2 Pro. I can't thank you enough!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 30, 2015 May 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please advise me or give any tips on how you got the above to work??

I Can't seem to do it I rely heavily on Photoshop and I just got my yoga pro.. I would really appreciate the help!

Thanks x

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2015 Apr 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure of what I am doing wrong, but I cannot seem to edit the file opened in Manifest. It's as if it was read-only.
Any ideas?

Later edit: figured it, it IS read-only, but I correlated the instructions here with the "eliminate the - signs and replace True with False" part. I guess there should always be detailed instructions for noobs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 30, 2015 May 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there! I can't seem to get this to work. What am I doing wrong?

Could you maybe describe a more thorough walkthrough of it? When I run the manifest download it seems to be read-only? Can't edit the true to false.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 02, 2015 Jun 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

me too just a read only file so cant be editted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ulec

we all seem to be stuck because we can't actually edit the manifest. Can you tell us how you can edit it please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the stage that was missing was after you open the manifest right click and select all. paste into notepad and then carry out the edit and save as a .txt file in the program folder.

However i did this and still doesn't work. I'm trying to get LR 4 working on a new Dell XPS 13 with HD display

This is what my txt file looks like so maybe Ulec can confirm its correct.

<assembly xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" manifestVersion="1.0" xmlns:asmv3="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v3">

<dependency>

<dependentAssembly>

<assemblyIdentity type="win32" name="Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls" version="6.0.0.0" processorArchitecture="amd64" publicKeyToken="6595b64144ccf1df" language="*" />

</dependentAssembly>

</dependency>

<trustInfo xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v2">

<security>

<requestedPrivileges>

<requestedExecutionLevel level="asInvoker" uiAccess="false" />

</requestedPrivileges>

</security>

</trustInfo>

<application xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v3">

<ms_asmv3:windowsSettings xmlns:ms_asmv3="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v3" xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/SMI/2005/WindowsSettings">

<ms_windowsSettings:dpiAware xmlns:ms_windowsSettings="http://schemas.microsoft.com/SMI/2005/WindowsSettings" xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/SMI/2005/WindowsSettings">false</ms_windowsSettings:dpiAware>

</ms_asmv3:windowsSettings>

</application>

</assembly>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You cannot customize the size of objects in the Captivate UI. Maybe change the resolution of your screen and use Win functionality?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Captivate is one of the few programs from Adobe, where the resizing of screen elements (menus, buttons, Icons etc.) is really working. If in higher resolutions (1920x1080 and more) the 100%-size is to small, try increasing the magnification factor in the display settings of Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like it is an issue between Adobe and Microsoft. (Many Adobe programs are responding this way to Windows 8 and 8.1)

I am posting this to try and get some (ANY) ideas/feedback...but to also bring it to the Captivate Community attention. I hope the Captivate Staff is aware of this issue.

Same issue -great PhotoShop screenshot Photoshop too small on windows 8.1

Photoshop CC / Windows 8.1 HiDPI / Retina scaling support

Re: Adobe suite HiDPI on Windows 8.1

Right side menu too small font size of letters in Windows 8.1 High DPI screen

Re: Photoshop CC / Windows 8.1 HiDPI / Retina scaling support

there are many many more out there......

I tried this first, it comes with Windows and changes your display properties by application: (but it didn't work)

The program above basicly edits these settings (you can get to these by right clicking on the exe application) I tried many combos, an even tried them under the "change for all users" setting.....NADA!

I have tried editing the Windows display settings: (all screen shots below are with this setting size)

The screenshot below is at 250%. It does not make any difference in the application (check out the menu bar, properties, icons....) If I go over 150% I lose dialog box space...the buttons disappear! If I keep it at 150% the words "Advanced Actions" at the top of the dialog box shrinks slightly, enough to fit the buttons in...) I showed the difference using snag it (12 pt arial compared to the appearance of the UI ~ 4 pt.) This is so hard to see! Same issue in some of the other adobe applications. (fyi...they are all up to date)

Photoshop = same problem

Dreamweaver = working fine

Flash = working fine

Premier Pro = half working....(menubar is ok but everything else is real small)

Muse = not working

Adobe Edge Code = Working fine

OOF! Well, any thoughts anyone? I appreciate any and al feedback and ideas!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 12, 2015 Jul 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem too not only in my PS but also to AutoCAD program.. it seems the older program version doesn't support higher resolution in newer OS..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources