5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2014 8:31 AM by Dr. Seward

Initial setup for After Effects

Dr. Seward

Hi. Running AE CS4 on a Mac Pro w/ 16 GB RAM. Have some questions regarding an initial setup for AE using two internal drives (boot drive is an SSD).

With the aim of keeping my boot drive lean as possible and improving AE performance, in Preferences, under Conformed Media Cache, is it a good idea to select a folder on a different drive than the boot drive for both Database and Cache?

Should I enable Disk Cache and should I choose a folder on the 2nd drive for it? I read that enabling Disk Cache is not a good idea if you only have one internal drive bus. I've got a mid-2010 Mac Pro and I'm not sure if it has more than a single internal drive bus (although there's a reference to busses in the specs).

Re: Enabling "Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously" Without this enabled I was only able to get a RAM Preview duration of about 4" on a particular clip, but with it checked off, I was able to preview the entire clip (20"). So this definitely seems to be a good thing to have enabled. Anything I should be careful about?

Last thing. Does it matter if I keep my AE project files in a folder on the 2nd drive?

• 1. Re: Initial setup for After Effects
          Ziji Man Level 1

Re: AE Warning - Disk Cache???

We covered a lot of this in a recent discussion -- read Rick Gerard's comments closely. I'm on PC, you're on a MAC, but that won't matter much on this issue. You do have more RAM than me, so you should do well with Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously.

Hope this helps.

• 2. Re: Initial setup for After Effects
            Dr. Seward Level 1

Thanks for your reply. Yes, the link you gave me to your recent discussion was very helpful. Think I have a handle on what to do now. Still have to read about the minimum requirements for running AE.

• 3. Re: Initial setup for After Effects
              Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Dr. Seward wrote:

Re: Enabling "Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously" Without this enabled I was only able to get a RAM Preview duration of about 4" on a particular clip, but with it checked off, I was able to preview the entire clip (20"). So this definitely seems to be a good thing to have enabled. Anything I should be careful about?

You're running CS4. CS4 is old. It was written in 32-bit. This means it can only address under 4 GB of RAM. (CS5 and later are all 64-bit, so they can all access much more RAM.) When you enable multiprocessing in CS4, it actually launches several instances of AE so that it can address more RAM. Thus, your RAM preview will be longer because you are accessing more RAM. Does that help?

• 4. Re: Initial setup for After Effects
                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

CS4 is incredibly picky about using Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously. Temporal effects and most effects will not successfully utilize this feature so unless you know by comparative testing on a specific composition that MP rendering helps, turn it off. Even on CC 2014 you can have problems with MP rendering. It is still not a universal setting that will work with all projects.

• 5. Re: Initial setup for After Effects
                  Dr. Seward Level 1

Thank you, Ziji Man, Szalam and Rick Gerard for your replies. You've all been helpful. I'll be running AE CS4 at least for the time being and the info you've given me will help me set up the best possible workflow, given the limitations of the older 32 bit app that I'm using.