3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 26, 2016 12:36 PM by TylerH

Using the Android Reader app, why is the signature option greyed out?

RCampbell.ACT

I have a client that has enlisted me to create 3 fillable PDF forms. I used FormsCentral to create these fillable forms, then I saved them as PDFs to my Dropbox. I opened the Adobe Reader app on my Tablet, and access the forms. As for the client, they are home builders, and these 3 forms are 3 different stages of the building process. They are using them to interact with the new homeowner. They want to do this on Samsung Note 10.1 tablets with Verizon data. There are 3 issues I am faced with fixing:

1. The signing process is quite a process. Meaning too many clicks to setup and apply a digital signature according to the customer. And that is on a PC, because I am unable to use the "signature" function - the button is greyed out. Why is that?

2. Once we resolve the above issue, then will there be a way to "lock" the form so that the customer's responses and selections are unchangeable? If so, how?

3. Once the form is signed and "locked" (if possible), what is the simplest way to send the form via e-mail? I ask because they want there to be a way to setup the form to e-mail copies to the addresses that are entered into an e-mail field on the form. Sort of "auto-populate" the addresses as well as be able to set a predetermined address (back to their office) so that the results may be sent via mobile instantly upon completion.

I know that is a lot to ask. Your help would be most appreciated!

Thanks in advance, Rob

• 1. Re: Using the Android Reader app, why is the signature option greyed out?
          MobileDeveloperCK Adobe Employee

(1) Why is the Signature button greyed out (disabled)?

You used FormsCentral to create fillable forms and exported to PDF.  When exporting FormsCentral forms to PDF forms, FormsCentral adds "extended rights" to PDF forms so that users can fill out the PDF forms in Adobe Reader (which is a PDF viewer, not a PDF editor).

The current version (11.5.0) of Adobe Reader for Android does not allow signatures to be added to any "Reader Extended" PDF documents (including forms).  We are actively investigating and trying to resolve the problem.

(2) Is there a way to "lock" a PDF form?

You can "flatten" a PDF form after the form has been filled out and signed by a customer.  Once flattened, it's not possible to change filled data or signatures.  When you try to email a filled PDF form (optionally with a signature), Adobe Reader for iOS will present the E-mail Document dialog with two options: "Send Original Document" and "Send Flattened Copy".  You can choose the "Send Flattened Copy" option.

Unfortunately, the feature has not been supported in Adobe Reader for Android yet.

(3) What is the easiest way to send a "flattened" copy via email?

Because the issues 1 & 2 above have not been resolved, you are not able to do this in Adobe Reader for Android.  However, you can do this in Adobe Reader for iOS.

First, you need to add a Submit button to your PDF form.  I am not sure if you can do this in FormsCentral.  But you can use Adobe Acrobat (a paid product) to add a Submit button.

Setting action buttons > Add a submit button

When your customer taps the Submit button in the PDF form, Adobe Reader (for iOS - for now) will present thee same E-mail Document dialog.  Once the "Send Flattened Copy" option is selected, Reader will launch the default Mail app and auto-populate email address(es) specified for the Submit button action.

Please let us know if you have further questions.

• 2. Re: Using the Android Reader app, why is the signature option greyed out?
            derrickw60885627

"The current version (11.5.0) of Adobe Reader for Android does not allow signatures to be added to any "Reader Extended" PDF documents (including forms).  We are actively investigating and trying to resolve the problem."

I'm now seeing this issue on iOS 9 in Adobe Acrobat Reader version 15.3.   Any update to this?

• 3. Re: Using the Android Reader app, why is the signature option greyed out?
              TylerH

I am also seeing this issue on my iPad in Adobe Acrobat Reader. I have a fillable PDF and the signature is greyed out. Mind you, this is on a form opened from Safari. Apparently it is a "Policy protected PDF", is there a way to turn off policy protection?