3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2014 6:36 PM by A.T. Romano

File Import Problems

john martin

I am currently trying to make a short one minute clip and have repeatedly imported files into the Premier 11 video editor.

The trouble I am having is the files appear of very low quality. When I open the same file in the Organizer they look perfect.

Even when I do a slide show in Organizer they appear perfect. However, when I transfer them to Video Editor and place them in the time line they appear of very poor quality. I have tried both smart fix and render with no success.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

As a backup plan can I use the slide show and add audio and then save the file to my hard drive so I can write it to disk. I am needing ultimately to make a dvd and mail it to a customer.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

I am using windows 7

John Martin

[Title edited for clarity... Mod]

[personal information removed... Mod - https://forums.adobe.com/docs/DOC-3731]

[This is an open forum, not Adobe support, please do not post personal information]

[If you are posting using email, please turn your 'sig file' function OFF for posting]

• 1. Re: File Import Problems
          A.T. Romano Level 7

John Martin

Premiere Elements 11 on Windows 7 64 bit....

What are the properties of this 1 minute clip (or the properties of a bunch of clips that you plan to export as a 1 minute file).

Video compression

Audio compression

Frame Size

Frame Rate

Interlaced or Progressive

File extension

Pixel Aspect Ratio

and/or what is the brand/model/settings for the camera that regarded the clip? I am assuming that the clip is video rather than still. Is that correct?

What are you setting as the project preset to match the properties of the source video? Or, are you letting the project take charge of project settings?

To determine what project preset is being set for the project, please tell us the readings under Edit Menu/Project Settings/General (Editing mode, Timebase, Frame Size, and Pixel Aspect Ratio even if the fields look grayed out.)

Forget about the Elements Organizer 12 and let us focus on quality on your file as an import into a new Premiere Elements 12 project with the best project preset possible and good quality in the rendered Timeline when viewed in the Edit area monitor.

Let us start here and put the basic information together to see what we have. All sort of scenarios possible.

Where is all this going...

DVD-VIDEO standard or widescreen on DVD disc

AVCHD format on DVD disc

Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: File Import Problems
            john martin Level 1

ATR

I will try my best to answer your questions. I have added

still only up to this point. I am going to video a short clip tomorrow and add

it to the very first part of the clip as an introduction.

The settings you asked for are as follows:

Editing Mode grayed out as HD 1080i

Timebase grayed out as 29.97 frames/second

Video    Frame Size          1920       horizontal            1080       vertical

Pixel Aspect Ratio: grayed out Square Pixels (1.0)

Fields  grayed out

Upper Field First

Display Format  30ffps

Drop-Frame Timecode    

Title Safe area   20           % horizontal`      20 `         % vertical

Action Safe Area              10           %horizontal        10           %vertical

Audio

Sample Rate       grayed

out          48000 Hz

Display Format  Audio

Samples

With your help I tried to change the capture rate from HDV

to DV and it made a big difference in clarity on my stills

Lastly I burned the disk to AVCHD and got the best

reproduction.

Again, your help has been invaluable.

In your debt and thanks

John  Martin

• 3. Re: File Import Problems
              A.T. Romano Level 7

john martin

Just some guidelines to explore...

The project preset should match the properties of your source media. This is especially important.

You cannot change project settings once set. (A longer story contradicts that a bit, but) No significant Project Settings changes can be made in Edit Menu/Project Settings/General. That is a place to confirm settings rather than to establish settings.

If you have an all stills situation and a DVD-VIDEO destination, I have found that you get the best results with photos 1920 x 1080 and using the project preset of NTSC DSLR 1080p DSLR 1080p30@ 29.97. The end result seems to be sharper than from other routes.

If you have video recorded at 1440 x 1080 HD Anamorphic 16:9, then use the project preset for the NTSC AVCHD HD1080p30. But, when it comes to export in a like format, use the export presets with the 1920 x 1080 specifications. All this has to do with trying to avoid player problems trying to read the 16:9 flag in the 1440 x 1080 HD Anamorphic 16:9. Both of these formats give the same 1920 x 1080 display. But, to get there, the 1440 x 1080 has to be stretched by the 16:9 flag to 1920 x 1080.

Also remember that when you import a source file into Premiere Elements, a copy of the file automatically get copied to the Elements Organizer. This is probably the better route to get videos into the Elements Organizer than importing them into the Elements Organizer and then into Premiere Elements  with the Elements Organizer command Edit With Premiere Elements Editor?

Please recap, indicating where you are in your path to completion of your goal...where we are and where we need to be.

Thanks.

ATR