24 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2014 1:49 PM by A.T. Romano

Saving to sd card

KenGreene

When I've completed a project, I try to save it as an MPEG file to  a 32 GB SD Card. I only get about a third (1/3) saved to the card. Project is about 5 GB in size. Help!

• 1. Re: Saving to sd card
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What formatting of the card... fat, fat32, ntfs, ???

• 2. Re: Saving to sd card
            A.T. Romano Level 7

kengreene

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running?

What are the specifics for your export choice. Assuming Premiere Elements 12 on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit

Publish+Share/Computer/MPEG and what are you selecting as the preset? Are you making any adjustments under the Advanced Button/Video Tab and Audio Tab of the preset selected? Before you hit the Save button in the MPEG export area, what is shown at the bottom of that area for estimated file size and duration?

What is the project preset? And what are the properties of the source media that you are matching to the project preset details?

And, what is the format of the SD Card - NTSC, FAT, FAT32, or exFAT?

If you reformat the card to NTSC, does the export go to completion to the SD memory card?

Please review and consider and then we can decide what next.

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: Saving to sd card
              A.T. Romano Level 7

kengreene

I did not see John's post until after I had posted mine.

If you need How To on formatting the SD card, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Saving to sd card
                KenGreene Level 1

Here's the answers to your questions-

Premiere Elements 12, Windows 7.

No adjustments, just using Preset MPEG HDTV 1080p 29.97 High Quality.

SD Card- SDHC 32 GB, FAT32.

Did not reformat SD Card- Was trying to store original video and edited video on same card?? Project size is about 5GB.

Any help greatly appreciated. I'm 82 and trying to keep up with this technology is a trial! I'm recording our weekly church services for replay on local Community TV and Vimeo.

Thanks

• 5. Re: Saving to sd card
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

KenGreene

Thanks for the reply with the helpful details for troubleshooting.

The problem is that, although your card has a capacity of 32 GB, no single file can have a file size greater than 4 GB on the card when it has the FAT32 format.

One reference gave a max individual file size related to card format as

FAT32 = 4 GB

exFAT = 512 TB

NTFS = 16 EB

Do memory cards have any max file size limitation? - Super User

If you can get your MPEG HDTV 1080p 29.97 High Quality export to 4 GB of less, all should work out OK. One way to do that is to go to the Advance Button/Video Tab of the MPEG HDTV 1080p 29.97 High Quality preset and lower the bitrate readings until the estimated file size is 4 GB or less.

Bitrate APEF.JPG

It is those Bitrate Settings (Min, Target, Max) that you would have to experiment with to get an estimated file size at the bottom of the Export Settings dialog to be 4 GB or less and still have good quality video.

It would probably be easier to reformat the card or a USB Flash Drive.

Please review and consider. If you need any clarification do not hesitate to ask.

ATR

• 6. Re: Saving to sd card
                    KenGreene Level 1

Thank you for your quick response. Let me digest your comments and play with the files as you suggested. I’ll let you know the outcome.

Ken

• 7. Re: Saving to sd card
                      KenGreene Level 1

I just read your comments over again and I understand about lowering the bite rate to reduce the file size to less than 4GB for FAT 32 formats.

Then you said- “It would probably be easier to reformat the card or a USB Flash Drive”.

This confused me as to its implications on reducing the bite rate to reduce the file size and what and how would I reformat it. ( I’m getting out of my level knowledge or comprehension? )

• 8. Re: Saving to sd card
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

KenGreene

You need to go with what gives you the best results. There are trade offs.

In the case of lowering the bitrate to reduce the file size. Good idea, but... As the bitrate is lowered, the quality is lowered along with the file size. In many instances there may be unnoticeable changes in quality when you lower the bitrate downward to a given point. Great. But, if you see a hit on quality to get the bitrate/file size that you need, then we need to rethink this approach.

Reformatting the card should allow you to get the files on the card when these files have a file size greater than 4 GB. But, the question becomes

"How useful is this card with its new format going to be to you moving forward?" Did you want to continue to record to this card with your camera also?

If you did decide to reformat the card, you would insert it into the appropriate computer port, go to Computer, select the card, right click it, select Format from the drop down or pop up menu that appears. Click on the area of that dialog where it show the format of the card (probably FAT32) to get a list of alternative formats to select. Maybe give NTFS at try.

Either:

Maintain the original quality of the export on a card by formatting the card to accept an a file size larger than 4 GB (like NTFS).

pr

Lower bitrate (quality) of the original export so that the file size is no larger the the 4 GB limitation of the card formatted as FAT32.

Did that help at all?

ATR

• 10. Re: Saving to sd card
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

KenGreene

If you have a memory card and want to format it, it is an easy procedure.

The screenshot is representative of the procedure, but was done with Windows 8.1 64 bit and the SD card from my digital camera since both were

handy. (The computer has a SD card slot.)

Untitled-1.jpg

Right click the representation of the card in Computer Devices with Removable Storage. Select Format. In the pop up menu that appears

after you click Format, in the Format dialog, set the File System to NTFS from the list of choices. You can reset the card at a later time if

necessary.

ATR

• 11. Re: Saving to sd card
                            KenGreene Level 1

Hello All:

Thanks to all I’m starting to get a grasp on my problem and the tradeoffs I face.

But maybe I’m shooting to save my videos at a quality that exceeds the playback limitations of the equipment/and viewing media. If so, maybe I should back off on the quality and thus reduce the file size?

Here is a synopsis of my project-

I am using a Panasonic HC-X920 Video Camera to video record the weekly services at my Church with the intent to have them played back weekly on our Public Community Access local Cable TV station. In addition our CATV Station also hosts our videos on its Vimeo account for public viewing via the internet.

I use the Intelligent Auto (IA) as the recording mode on the camera and I use SD/HC Cards for storage on the camera.

In a simple process, I video the Service, give the SD Card to the CATV Station and they air the video on Cable TV and added it to their Vimeo account. Simple and it works great! They send me back my SD Card; I erase it and use it over again for future recordings.

Now here is where my problems set in-

If I’m not happy with the original video, I edit the video using Adobe Premiere Elements 12 to add titles, put in some transitions and other simple editing tasks. I then want to save it back to the SD Card for the CATV Stations use. Here’s where I get into my problem of saving it back to the SD Card (the original topic of this posting).

The CATV Station crew suggested I use either MPEG Presets HDTV 1080p 29.97 High Quality or AVCHD Presets MP4- H264 1920x1080p 30

When I use those Presets I get into my problem of an incomplete save. (about 1/3 of the file)

You all have explained my problem and offered solutions to reduce the file size to make it compatible with the SD Card FAT 32 format and solve my problem.

But I got to thinking maybe I’m using Presets that are of a higher quality than I really need for this application and that if I used reduced quality SAVES the end results wouldn’t change because of the limitations of display media (Cable TV & Vimeo).

Any thoughts on this or am I off base in my thinking?

Thanks for your time and knowledge.

Ken

• 12. Re: Saving to sd card
                              KenGreene Level 1

Hello All:

Thanks to all I’m starting to get a grasp on my problem and the tradeoffs I face.

But maybe I’m shooting to save my videos at a quality that exceeds the playback limitations of the equipment/and viewing media. If so, maybe I should back off on the quality and thus reduce the file size?

Here is a synopsis of my project-

I am using a Panasonic HC-X920 Video Camera to video record the weekly services at my Church with the intent to have them played back weekly on our Public Community Access local Cable TV station. In addition our CATV Station also hosts our videos on its Vimeo account for public viewing via the internet.

I use the Intelligent Auto (IA) as the recording mode on the camera and I use SD/HC Cards for storage on the camera.

In a simple process, I video the Service, give the SD Card to the CATV Station and they air the video on Cable TV and added it to their Vimeo account. Simple and it works great! They send me back my SD Card; I erase it and use it over again for future recordings.

Now here is where my problems set in-

If I’m not happy with the original video, I edit the video using Adobe Premiere Elements 12 to add titles, put in some transitions and other simple editing tasks. I then want to save it back to the SD Card for the CATV Stations use. Here’s where I get into my problem of saving it back to the SD Card (the original topic of this posting).

The CATV Station crew suggested I use either MPEG Presets HDTV 1080p 29.97 High Quality or AVCHD Presets MP4- H264 1920x1080p 30

When I use those Presets I get into my problem of an incomplete save. (about 1/3 of the file)

You all have explained my problem and offered solutions to reduce the file size to make it compatible with the SD Card FAT 32 format and solve my problem.

But I got to thinking maybe I’m using Presets that are of a higher quality than I really need for this application and that if I used reduced quality SAVES the end results wouldn’t change because of the limitations of display media (Cable TV & Vimeo).

Any thoughts on this or am I off base in my thinking?

Thanks for your time and knowledge.

Ken

• 13. Re: Saving to sd card
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

KenGreene

An idea with which to experiment and then find out if it is compatible with the CATV Station crew's requirements.

Focusing on an extremely smaller file size....HD wmv file 1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second

Premiere Elements 12 Windows

Publish+Share

Computer

Windows Media

Presets = 720 x 480 16x9 29.97

and, under the Advanced Button/Video Tab of the preset, you customize the export settings to get a  1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second .wmv file. (Bitrate = 8000 Kbps (kilobits per second) to try first) The Advanced Button/Video Tab Export Area would look like...

wmv.JPG

If screenshot is not clear enough, please click on it to bring up a clear view.

Please review and consider. Looking forward to your results.

Thank you for your follow ups.

ATR

• 14. Re: Saving to sd card
                                  KenGreene Level 1

One of the suggestions made was to share my videos via a DVD. I tried an experiment, I saved a video to a DVD using the limited SHARED Presets.(NTSC) I then viewed that DVD uploaded to Vimeo. The quality was very poor compared to previously uploaded unedited SD Card uploads.

The thing that bugs me is the camera default recording mode is (HG). The picture size and frame rates are 1920 X 1080/60i (Pages 199 of Camera manual). If I do nothing and give the chip to the local TV Station, everything works, good quality cable TV and Vimeo broadcasts. If I load it into Adobe Premiere Elements 12 and make minor, minor edits I can't get it out in shareable format that's acceptable for broadcast.

My only alternative seems to be to tune the parameters to get the file size under 4GB of FAT 32, but the camera doesn't have that problem. Which suggests the Camera isn't using a FAT  format, but Adobe is? I'm way above my pay grade on this subject, but I'm searching for solutions?

Thanks for any help or clarification on my lack of knowledge.

Ken

• 15. Re: Saving to sd card
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

KenGreene

Thanks for the follow up.

Here is what I am seeking to understand.

My only alternative seems to be to tune the parameters to get the file size under 4GB of FAT 32, but the camera doesn't have that problem. Which suggests the Camera isn't using a FAT  format

Consider...the camera is recording (AVCHD.mp4 or whatever) to a SD card which has its own card format of FAT32. And, it that property of the SD card that is at issue, that is, the 4 GB limit of the FAT32 format.

Your camera probably can record to an internal hard drive as well as this SD card that is formatted FAT32. I am not sure what format the camera's internal hard drive might have. Correct so far? Are you able to get the camera to record a single file to that SD card that has a file size greater than 4 GB? I think not. But, best I ask because I think it becomes a critical part of the understanding on this.

By the nature of FAT32, your camera should not be able to record a single file to that SD card that is greater than 4 GB. It should be

able to record many single files up to 4 GB until it reaches the 32 GB capacity of the card.

Please review and consider. If you find a file with a file size greater than 4 GB on that SD card formatted FAT32, that becomes a critical piece of

troubleshooting information.

Thanks.

ATR

• 17. Re: Saving to sd card
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

KenGreene

Thanks for the reply but for some reason there was not message in the reply.

Please try again to post the message when you get time.

Thank you.

ATR

• 19. Re: Saving to sd card
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

KenGreene

Thanks again for trying to post a reply. For some reason the post is appearing but with no message.

Are you replying from an email notification? Maybe there is a problem that way.

If that is the case, please try coming to the Adobe Premiere Elements Forum and your specific thread by clicking on the

following link and then hitting reply to the thread post to which you want to reply.

Re: Saving to sd card

Thanks.

ATR

• 20. Re: Saving to sd card
                                          KenGreene Level 1

As suggested I tried an experiment by making a DVD of my video and had it broadcast on our local TV Station. The results were disappointing; the quality was substandard and unacceptable.

I then reformatted a 32 GB SD Card to NTSF format and tried to record my file to the SD Card using the Premiere Preset HDTV 1080p 29.9 High Quality. All of the preset parameters looked normal, but the recording failed with a message “Encoding failed. Please check encoding parameters and try again”!

I then went back and checked the properties of the card and it had changed back to FAT32, yet the Preset parameters showed the card as NTSF?

For more background on my problem, I did some more research on my problem-

The Panasonic HD-X920 Camera saves its videos to an SD Card formatted in Fat 32 Format. To get around the 4 GB restriction it records in junks of video files-

Example:

My recent video of 1 Hour & 7 Minutes was recorded in files 00000.MTS (48:26 Minutes) and 00001.MTS (18:51 Minutes) On 32 GB FAT 32 Card this used 5.5 GB of storage. Premiere handles these multiple files nicely and combines them into one contiguous video for editing.

My problem is I can only output this file to a DVD. Another Media (SD Card, Flash Card, etc.), or Preset fails.

• 21. Re: Saving to sd card
                                            KenGreene Level 1

Another thought! Would addressing my creation of a video through Organizer make any difference?

• 22. Re: Saving to sd card
                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

KenGreene

Thanks for the reply.

I see no gains in getting the Elements Organizer involved in any of this.

The good news is that your camera and its 32 GB card are recognizing the 4 GB limit of its FAT32 format and have 4 GB or less files recorded to it.

You are now telling us that those 4 GB or less files = total 5.5 GB.

Until we figure out the whys behind the 32 GB card not working as the media to accept the Premiere Elements export, let us consider.

1. From what you wrote, you can get all those files into one Premiere Elements project.

2. Export that Timeline to a computer hard drive save location, using Publish+Share/Computer/MPEG (Presets = HDTV 1080p29.97 High Quality).

3. Burn that file to a DVD disc, using the burn software that came with your burner. This is not going to be a DVD-VIDEO (720 x 480), rather

a data disc with your MPEG2.mpg file 1920 x 1080.

4. Give this disc to the Cable Station.

If the file size of your MPEG2.mpg is less than 4.38 GB, then use a DVD disc specified 4.7 GB/120 minutes. If the file size of your MPEG2.mpg is greater than 4.38 GB but less than 7.95 GB, then use a DVD disc specified 8.5 GB/240 minutes.

I have an 8 GB USB flash drive and will work with it to try to determine what is going on with the NTFS and FAT32 format switches and Premiere Elements in this matter.

Please review and consider and then let us know if any of the above worked for you.

Thank you.

ATR

• 23. Re: Saving to sd card
                                                KenGreene Level 1

Hello All:

Tried as you suggested and it worked fine. Burned the Service to an 8.5 GB DVD and the quality was good on the CATV Station.

Still would be nice if it all could be done in Premiere 12, and the usage of SD Cards is cheaper and a better media for our process and application.

Thanks to everyone for your patients and help with my problem. Hope in the future my issue can be fixed.

Ken

PS: Every time I see the name Romano, I think of a man named Larry Romano who worked at MIT Instrumentation Lab. in Cambridge, Mass.  Any relation??

• 24. Re: Saving to sd card
                                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Ken

We are particularly pleased with your great news. You have done a great job sorting through troubleshooting details to get your video

displayed on the CATV Station.

Best wishes

ATR

Note: No Larry Romano relative, as far as I have ever found.