4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 23, 2016 7:54 AM by Just Shoot Me

Cache - delete or not?

Dee911

Should I, or should I not delete cache files in lr? They look like white pieces of paper attached to a numeric number.

• 1. Re: Cache - delete or not?
          areohbee Level 5

There are multiple types of cache files, so you need to be more specific (I assume you mean "regular" (not-smart) previews, but best not to assume..) - please give the complete path to one of these cache files.

Caches (on disk) that I know of:

-------------------------------------

* regular preview cache

* smart preview cache

* video cache

* ACR cache

That said, you should not need to manually delete any cache files, except maybe if you are having a problem/error - are you?

R

• 2. Re: Cache - delete or not?
            anatostrovsky

Hi Rob,

Lr cache files take a lot of space on my SSD disk, is it ok to delete them?

What happens if i do?

Thanks,

Anat

• 3. Re: Cache - delete or not?
              dj_paige Level 9

You gain nothing by deleting the preview cache from your SSD. The next time you open Lightroom, the preview cache will be re-created by Lightroom. If the SD is close to full, you need to find other solutions.

• 4. Re: Cache - delete or not?
                Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

anatostrovsky wrote:

Hi Rob,

Lr cache files take a lot of space on my SSD disk, is it ok to delete them?

What happens if i do?

Thanks,

Anat

Are you talking about the Camera RAW cache or the Previews. Two different things. You can use the LR Preferences to Purge the Camera RAW cache and you can delete the Previews if you like.

Just how much space is being used?

Do you have more than one physical drive in your system?

You can move the ACR cache folder to another drive but the Previews folder has to be in the same folder as the catalog file.