11 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2014 11:23 AM by A.T. Romano

Premiere Elements 12 will only render some of my footage?

reagan_anderson15

Premiere Elements 12 will only allow me to render some of my footage while it won't render other footage at all. The footage it renders has a green line above it in the work space and no line is above the footage that won't render. I'm using a MacBook Pro and a LaCie external hard drive to import my footage and save my project. Any suggestions? Thank you!

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 12 will only render some of my footage?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

reagan_anderson15

Premiere Elements 12 on Mac...

Check List

1. Do the gray tabs of the Work Area Bar span the whole Timeline content?

2. Does the content that you want to render have an orange line over its content (not through it, but over it)?

3. Does the content that you want to render have a green line or no colored line over it?

Only content with an orange line over its content will render.

The no colored line or green render indicator line is the program telling you that you are viewing the best possible preview when you

play back the Timeline content in the Edit area monitor. The orange indicator line is the program telling you that you do not have the best possible preview of the Timeline content at playback in the Edit area monitor and to obtain it you have to render the Timeline content

a. Press the Enter key of the computer main keyboard

b. Press the Render key above the Timeline

c. Go to Timeline/Render Work Area.

I will be posting a screenshot of all this in a few moments.

Please review and consider and add any important details not already posted.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 12 will only render some of my footage?
            A.T. Romano Level 7

reagan_anderson15

This is the follow up screenshot to confirm locations of items that I mentioned in post numbered 1 in your thread.

Render.JPG

Also, please let us know where you have your preview directed for saving. See Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks.

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 12 will only render some of my footage?
              reagan_anderson15 Level 1

I completed the checklist and I'm still having the same problem.

1. The gray tabs of the work area bar DO span the whole timeline content.

2. The content I want to render does NOT have an orange line over its content, however it still lags/stops the footage but keeps playing the audio (not part of the footage) when I play back the video.

3. I want to render everything in my work area. Some content has a green line above, some content has no line above it.

I have my preview directed to save on my LaCie external hard drive. This hard drive is the same device I am storing all my footage that is being imported into Premiere Elements 12 and is the same device I am saving the Premiere Elements 12 project on.

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 12 will only render some of my footage?

Also, some of the footage that isn't rendered is fine when I play back my project - no lagging or stopping, however some other content that's not rendered lags and stops during play back

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 12 will only render some of my footage?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

reagan_anderson

Rendering the Timeline is not a repair tool for problem video. It is a preview feature which is your window of opportunity to catch a problem sooner than later.

Any Timeline content without the orange line will not render since that render indicator is telling you that you have the best possible preview displaying in the Edit area monitor at playback of the Timeline content.

If the preview is not giving good results, there are two troubleshooting avenues to follow

1. ignore what you are seeing and move on to export to determine if what you saw on the Timeline is reflected in the export.

or

2. troubleshooting your project settings, the properties of your source media, overall Timeline content, computer resources, etc

You wrote...

Also, some of the footage that isn't rendered is fine when I play back my project - no lagging or stopping, however some other content that's not rendered lags and stops during play back

An unrendered Timeline can look fine, but is can look bad in the end product. The rendered Timeline is your way to obtain the best possible preview and be more confident of what you are going to get as end product. Specifically....what is the render indicator line when you say ".....however some other content that's not rendered lags and stops during play back?

I need to move on with you to evaluate your project settings and source media properties and storage. But, I do not want to leave the "rendering" matter until I am sure that you are OK with what I am trying to tell you about Timeline rendering.

Please review and consider.

Thank you.

ATR

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 12 will only render some of my footage?

I understand the rendering matter. I would just like to be able to view my footage without it lagging/stopping.

The render indicator line is blank when I'm talking about the content that lags and stops during playback.

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 12 will only render some of my footage?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

reagan_anderson15

Thank you for your reply.

It is late where I am but I will give you some questions whose answers I would to explore with you tomorrow or when your schedule permits.

1. Premiere Elements 12 on Mac. Have you updated from 12 to 12.1 yet - Help Menu/Update within a opened project? If not, please do so.

2. What are the properties of what you are putting on the Expert workspace Timeline?

Especially, if at all, how do the properties of the files displaying no Timeline lags and stops compare to the properties of the files that are presenting with Timeline lags and stops.

3. What are you or the project setting as the project preset? To confirm, please tell us what you find Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and the Editing mode, Timebase, Frame Size, Pixel Aspect Ratio readings, even if they look grayed out?

4. What is the duration of the Timeline when the lags and stops begin....are these lags and stops related to the time on the Timeline or to specific files....if these problem files were moved to another part of the Timeline, would they still be problem files?

5. Are there transitions applied to the Timeline content? What effects are you adding to clips?

Let us start here and then decide what next.

Thank you for the follow ups. Much appreciated.

ATR

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 12 will only render some of my footage?

1. Premiere Elements 12 on Mac. Have you updated from 12 to 12.1 yet - Help Menu/Update within a opened project? If not, please do so.

I updated to 12.1

2. What are the properties of what you are putting on the Expert workspace Timeline?

Especially, if at all, how do the properties of the files displaying no Timeline lags and stops compare to the properties of the files that are presenting with Timeline lags and stops.

All of the content is in .mov format

3. What are you or the project setting as the project preset? To confirm, please tell us what you find Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and the Editing mode, Timebase, Frame Size, Pixel Aspect Ratio readings, even if they look grayed out?

Editing mode is "HDV 1080i"

Timebase is "29.97 frames/second"

Frame size is "1440 horizontal 1080 vertical"

Pixel Aspect Ratio is "HD Anamorphic 1080 (1.33)"

4. What is the duration of the Timeline when the lags and stops begin....are these lags and stops related to the time on the Timeline or to specific files....if these problem files were moved to another part of the Timeline, would they still be problem files?

The lags and stops begin at approximately 24 seconds of the timeline, but when I move this content to another part of the timeline the lags and stops begin where this first problem file begin. The lags and stops are most likely related to specific files, however that doesn't make sense since some .mov files don't lag/stop while other .mov files do lag/stop. The files are still problem files even when moved to another part of the timeline.

5. Are there transitions applied to the Timeline content? What effects are you adding to clips?

There are no transitions applied to the timeline content. I've only added a fast-forward effect to one clip (a clip that rendered fine and doesn't lag/stop) in my project thus far.

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 12 will only render some of my footage?
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

reagan_anderson15

Thanks for the reply with a lot of very helpful details with which to work in troubleshooting.

If I have gathered your data correctly, what we have are files that play back with a lag or stop but do not offer the opportunity to Timeline render to get a smooth playback for them. The project's render indicator line color (green or no colored line) is telling you that is the best possible preview for them. So, at this point, we want to distinguish between a corrupted file and a project preview issue. Assuming this to be a preview problem only....

What we are going to do is force  these problem files to render and then see if the Timeline rendered files play back minus the lags and stops.

Right click each of the problem files, select Time Stretch, and, in the Time Stretch dialog, change the Speed % to 99. OK out of there. Each file should now have an orange line over it. Hit Enter of the computer main keyboard or the Render button above the Timeline. When the Timeline render is complete, the orange line will be a green one. Any playback improvement now?

The above has worked in at least one other case similar to yours.

ATR

• 10. Re: Premiere Elements 12 will only render some of my footage?

This worked! Thank you so much for your time and advice!!

• 11. Re: Premiere Elements 12 will only render some of my footage?
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

reagan_anderson15

That is amazing and great news.

My little forced rendering maneuver worked again. That is good feedback to have.

Best wishes moving forward with your Premiere Elements projects.

Thanks for that follow up.

ATR