4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2014 7:46 AM by bogiesan

3d lights

Arrakis Level 1

Again Ive run up against something that you would think is very simple but in AE its confusing and impossible.

All i want to do is place a visible light inside a box shape object made of 3d layers then precompose it.  But of course when I place the pre comp inside another comp and collapse transformations the lights no longer take effect apparently because of AE render order etc

So instead of precomping my layers I just leave them as is and try to use lux and knoll light factory but then when I move my camera around the lights are visible through things and behave not as expected. So I search online for useful tuts about how to use these plugins for what I am trying to achieve but do you think there is anything out there? If there is its very well hidden. 5 hours of my life I cannot get back and learnt sweet FA  * rips out hair*.

• 1. Re: 3d lights
          Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Because you haven't clearly described what you are trying to do, in this or your other thread, it's quite difficult for any of us to make any educated suggestions.  If you provide some meaningful requirements we may be able to offer possible solutions.

Overall, it sounds like you may simply be expecting too much from After Effect's 3D capabilities.  Your requirements may be better met by a genuine 3D application.

• 2. Re: 3d lights
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

No way. They are 2D effects and that is just that. Any clipping and Z-ordering will have to be created using suitable masking and layer stacking.

Mylenium

• 3. Re: 3d lights
              Arrakis Level 1

"All i want to do is place a visible light inside a box shape object made of 3d layers then precompose it"

How much clearer do you want it.  Theres only so many words one can use to try and explain what one is doing.

• 4. Re: 3d lights
                bogiesan Level 4

AE's 3D systems do have some limitations. It is not a full blown 3D modeler. I have never really dived deeply into why lights don't flatten/collapse as expected; I just accepted it a long time ago and forgot about it. I place all of my lights in the master comp. Sorry, best I can do for you.

You might try some of the more highly advanced AE tutorial sites. some of those people have been breaking through AE's 3D limitations for several years. Good luck and, hey, if you figure it out, drop back and tell us what you did.