5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2014 7:54 AM by A.T. Romano

Media cache files: Premiere Elements 9 with SSD

alistair78 Level 1

Hello you fine Adobe people.

I apologize if this has been asked before, if so please could somebody direct me to an answer?

I have Premiere Elements 9 on Windows 7. My issue is pretty simple: my shiny new SSD is getting full of temp files from the "C:\Users\XXX\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Common\Media Cache Files" location every time I work on a project.  I have set all other cache items I can see in "Preferences" to my mechanical disk, but I am alarmed to see this folder filling up with huge files on my SSD. Aside from the unneccessary reads and writes, it will be filled up in no time. It seems in Premiere Pro you can direct this folder to an external drive, but I cannot find this option in Premiere Elements.

Please tell me there is a way to move the media cache files directory to another drive than C:\ ?

Thank you in advance

A Craven

• 1. Re: Media cache files: Premiere Elements 9 with SSD
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This is about Premiere Pro, but the IDEA should be the same

Drive C space http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1007934?tstart=0

• 2. Re: Media cache files: Premiere Elements 9 with SSD
            alistair78 Level 1

Hi John

Thank you for looking. I found that too, but irritatingly the option to change the cache location is missing from Premiere Elements 9 and 10 (my colleague uses version 10).

Here is a screenshot from the Web showing how in Pro you can move the media cache location:

ppro-media-cache-main.png

Why is this missing from Premiere Elements? Perhaps there isn't a way round this after all...

• 3. Re: Media cache files: Premiere Elements 9 with SSD
              A.T. Romano Level 7

alistair78

The answer is that you need Premiere Elements answers for Premiere Elements questions.

The conformed audio files (cfa and pek) are stored in the Media Cache Files Folder. By default, that folder is found in Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit.

Libraries/Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/10 (if 10 is your version). You set the save location for the Media Cache Files Folder in Premiere Elements Editor workspace Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks and the "Media Cache" category.

The conformed video files (mcdb) are can be accessed via the Premiere Elements Editor workspace Edit Menu/Preferences/Media and its Media Cache Database area. There you will find a Clean up to clear them and set limits. The actual files (which have a .mcdb file extension) can be found via the path shown in that area. This appears to be an unchangeable location.

Preview files from rendering of Timeline content to get the best possible preview at play back of the Timeline content in the Edit area monitor are stored in the Adobe Premiere Elements Previews File Folder. By default, that folder is found in Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit Libaries/Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/10 (if 10 is your version). You set that save location for the Adobe Premiere Elements Elements Previews File Folder in Premiere Elements Editor workspace Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks and the Video Previews category.

Please let us know if you are now clear about Premiere Elements and how it relates to Media Cache et al.

Please ask if any further questions on this or need clarification.

ATR

• 4. Re: Media cache files: Premiere Elements 9 with SSD
                alistair78 Level 1

ATR: you are a legend. Thank you SO much for this, I can't believe I missed it but I have managed to move the cache folder from the SSD.

Thanks again!

Regards

• 5. Re: Media cache files: Premiere Elements 9 with SSD
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

alistair78

Thanks for the update with the great news of success with the Media Cache Files Folder and SSD pile ups.

Also, keep a watch on the Adobe Premiere Elements Previews File Folder and pile up of those preview files.

For SD project, the preview files are DV.AVI (whether from a video or still Timeline render); for HD projects, the preview

files are MPEG2.mpeg with a companion xmp (whether from a video or still Timeline render).

Best wishes moving forward with your Premiere Elements projects.

ATR