5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2014 9:52 AM by Rick Gerard

New After Effects user needs to create 30 minute travel/news format show for IPTV.... needs some help on workflow

dlv3

I switched from Sony Vegas about 4 months ago to Premiere CC, and now in the last week have been teaching myself After Effects.

I am an Underwater Videographer, and the show is a travel format show for families interested in snorkeling and diving.

I have 2 computers with After Effects on it, a PC that it about to be upgraded massively--and is too weak to be useful now...and an Imac 27 with 16 gigs of ram.

In using the Imac, I am having all kinds of freezing issues now that I have the Virtual set templete for AE I bought, built out with my footage about 12 minutes.....\

Questions would be:

1. Do I need to create little 3 or 5 minute long segments in AE, then render each to a clip in Premiere...then build the 30 minute show in Premiere ?
      2. Does AE have problems with a 30 minute background video clip( all the u/w scenes the hosts will have playing behind them or on main screen--if I use about 20 instances of this clip on different parts of the template, each one just selecting a minute or so out of the clip....or..do I need to split this 30 minute clip up into the individual pieces, and use these with each segment of the show? Something is slowing and freezing my Mac, and I am wondering if it is this issue?
      3. If any of you have ever looked at the News room type virtual studio greenscreen templates for After Effects, then what I am into should make sense to you, and maybe someone will have some workflow suggestions.
      4. I am planning to have my PC upgraded to a MORE POWERFUL 64 bit  MACHINE WITH 32 GIGS OF RAM......I DO HAVE AN amd Radeon 6800 video card I am hoping will work ( given to me)....so that I get some GPU benefit.... Any thoughts on whether this will be better than the Imac ?
        • 1. Re: New After Effects user needs to create 30 minute travel/news format show for IPTV.... needs some help on workflow
          bogiesan Level 4

After Effects is not a video editor. Do all your cutting and assembly in Premiere.

There are many ways to streamline your workflow but most of them come with experience and trial and error. One thing you can do is pre-render your chromakey shots with alpha so you're just laying them on top of or in front of the background footage. Once you have a recipe for your key settings, you can apply that to all of your clips and set them to render in background or overnight. Then you never apply the key filters again.

You should be breaking down your production into shots that require effects and then into types of effects. You will eventually save your more commonly used sequences as presets and just swap out the footage.

Sorry but debugging your iMac is beyond the scope of these forums. There is just too much missing information and too many variables. But you may be trying to use highly compressed footage from your underwater camera that the iMac simply doesn't like to uncompress and process on the fly. Try unpacking those files into a more conventional, frame-based Quicktime file.

Give the forum a few days for the regulars to stop by and offer additional advice. Try to have fun.

• 2. Re: New After Effects user needs to create 30 minute travel/news format show for IPTV.... needs some help on workflow
            Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

1. You don't have to. I would edit in Premiere first so that your footage is trimmed down and laid where you want it in time. Then go into After Effects and File>Import>Import Adobe Premiere Pro project so that you get all your footage in AE, trimmed nicely.

2. I've done half-hour-long shows in AE with no problems on machines with worse specs.

3. I haven't used templates, I just created stuff myself, but I gave a workflow suggestion already.

4. AE doesn't use the GPU for much (see more here), so look more into what GPUs are useful for Premiere

• 3. Re: New After Effects user needs to create 30 minute travel/news format show for IPTV.... needs some help on workflow
              dlv3 Level 1

Thanks....
              So I will cut up the long clips instead of using them in multiple instances at different in and out points....

The Canon 5 d mark II footage has been upsampled to cineform 4-2-2 on mov wrapper so Mac likes it....set at Filmscan 1 for keying.

How much Ram do you think I should be using? Is 32 gigs enough? Do some people use alot more?

• 4. Re: New After Effects user needs to create 30 minute travel/news format show for IPTV.... needs some help on workflow
                Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

dlv3 wrote:

So I will cut up the long clips instead of using them in multiple instances at different in and out points....

The end result is actually the same, but the workflow is a lot easier.

• 5. Re: New After Effects user needs to create 30 minute travel/news format show for IPTV.... needs some help on workflow
                  Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The best advice I can give you is to do your compositing and your titling in After Effects do your editing in Premier Pro. A good standard workflow for cutting a 30 minute show is to divide the show into segments, create a new sequence in Premier Pro for each segment, edit your segment sequences, add the compositing and titling and other effects to your segment sequences using After Effects using dynamic link or by importing an entire segment sequence into AE for compositing and effects, then assemble your show segments into a new finished show and a new PPro sequence to finalize your editing and sound mix and color correction.

Some show formats around 30 minutes in length will work fine as a single sequence in premiere Pro. For other show formats or styles, it is far more efficient to cut each show segment as an individual sequence. It works the same when you're cutting a feature film. Traditionally each scene in a film is cut as a separate sequence, then the sequences are assembled to create the best dramatic effect for the show. This is a far more efficient workflow then trying to drop a two hour movie in a single timeline and then go back while you are editing the show for performance and dramatic effect and change scene 27A without messing up everything that follows. Back in the day when we were cutting 35mm motion picture film on a flatbed editor, 10 minutes what's the maximum length of any sequence that would fit on the editing machine. It'd been that way since the beginning of motion pictures. Turns out it's a very efficient way to edit a show.

I hope this helps you with your workflow. Cutting a half hour series requires a tremendous amount of planning if it is to be done efficiently.