9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 4, 2014 3:50 PM by A.T. Romano

Why won't my Premiere elements 12 start up?

novice central

I recently purchased Adobe Photoshop and Premiere Elements 12. Photoshop installed and works fine. Unfortunately Premiere 12 installed but wont go past the start up screen. After chosing to start a new project it hangs and won't progress any further. Can anyone point me in the right direction fix this please?

• 1. Re: Why won't my Premiere elements 12 start up?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

novice central

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 12 running on? I will assume Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit for now.

First the usual drill....

1. Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer with Premiere Elements 12?

2. Are you running the program from a User Account with Administrative Privileges and have you applied Run As Administrator to

the program's desktop icon?

3. Is your video card/graphics card up to date according the web site of the manufacturer of the card or the manufacturer of the computer?

4. Have you looked at the issue with and without the antivirus and firewall(s) disabled?

5. Are you working with an active Internet connection?

Let us go through the above check list first and then we will plan our troubleshooting strategy accordingly.

Depending on the above, one of the first thing to do is delete the Premiere Elements 12 settings file. Assuming you are working on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 12.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If that does not work, then you delete the whole 12.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists. Be sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the whole path cited.

We will be watching for your follow up with results.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Why won't my Premiere elements 12 start up?
            novice central Level 1

Hello ATR,

thank you for your reply. Last evening I went through your list.

My operating system is 64 bit Windows 7 (service pack 1)

My laptop is a HP 250 with 2.4Ghz cpu, 6Gb of ram and 650Gb of free space.

Quicktime version is 7.7.5 (168.95.13)

To be honest, I'm not sure how to run the programme as a "User account with Administrative Privaliges" but I did run it from the descktop icon as an administrrator and it didn't get to the start up screen.

I updated my graphics card/chipset Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 driver to Version 9.17.10.2932 date 12/12/2012

I tried to run with both firewall and antivirus on and off with no success.

My internet connection is very good.

My actions so far are, I took your advice and did delete the prefs file but it didn't make a difference. So then, I uninstalled Premiere, made sure all your suggestions were included, as above.

I reinstalled the software and it still hung on the start up screen. I then deleted the prefs file again as suggested and I got the start up screen and this time I got the animated part below as well.

I clicked on new project and the timeing bar started and then it hung up again.

I then rebooted the computer, started Premiere from the desktop icon, repeated the process and then after about 3 minutes the programme started!

So, I had a look around the software, turned of the machine. Restarted the machine later, tried to open Premiere again and it started hanging again.

I got a message from Adobe to update the software and I thought that may cure the problem, unfortunately it didn't.

I did capture a couple a couple of screen messages that I got after all of the above. Not sure if they will help.

Thank you for your help again,

regards NC

Appcrash one.jpgAppcrash two.jpg

• 3. Re: Why won't my Premiere elements 12 start up?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

novice central

Thanks for the update and all the details of the work that you are putting into the troubleshooting. Much appreciated.

Premiere Elements 12 on Windows 7 64 bit.

Deletion of the Elements Organizer 12 settings file named psa.prf

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Elements Organizer

Organizer

and in the Organizer Folder is the psa.prf file that you disable by naming it from psa.prf to psa.prfOLD or delete it.

Also, check the User Account...

Control Panel

User Accounts and Family Safety

User Accounts

and, in the dialog that opens, do you see a thumbnail for the account that you are using that shows the word Administrator under ID?

Also, if you are not getting beyond the Sign In,

Also, look at deleting the BadDrivers.txt file

Local Disk C

Program Data

Adobe

Premiere Elements

in the Premiere Elements Folder is a lone BadDrivers.txt file among some folders. It is the BadDrivers.txt file that you want to delete, nothing

in those folders.

We could also look at renaming the SLCache Folder and SLStore Folder as described in the following blog post.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE12: Premiere Elements 12 Editor Will Not Open

Please review and consider and then we can decide what next as indicated.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: Why won't my Premiere elements 12 start up?
                novice central Level 1

Hello ATR,

the story so far

I renamed and deleted the file called psa.prf and it didn't have any effect.

The thumbnail had my name user ID and and the word Administrator under it.

I renamed and deleted the file called BadDrivers.text file without any effect, however, I was a little confused regarding your directions from above, should I have deleted everything in that folder?

I then attempted "way 2" from the link above. "Way 1" looks like I need to spend more time on it.

Anyway, I renamed the SLCache Folder and the SLStore Folder as "old" clicked on the desktop icon and got the following.

1. Adobe software Licence Agreement window

2. Sign in requirement screen

3. Adobe software Licence agreement again

4. Adobe premiere elements trial screen that had two choices, licence this software or start trial.

5. Then the serial number screen came up, typed in number.

6. I then clicked on the desktop icon to load Premiere and after about 5 minutes this happened.

8.jpg

I did this process twice, once for "licence this software" and once for "start trial" but got the same result.

I will try "way 2" from the link when I've read it a couple more times! bit confusing for me.

Thanks for your help again

NC

• 5. Re: Why won't my Premiere elements 12 start up?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

novice central

Thanks for the reply and the opportunity to clarify some things and to add other comments.

BadDrivers.txt file deletion

BD.JPG

Way 1 and the Hosts File

For now, just follow the path given to the Hosts File. Do nothing but look at it. Do you see any text under the text that show :11 localhost as shown?

127.0.0.1   localhost

:11 locahost

If you do, just close out of there and let me know what you found. We can talk about editing the Notepad document of that Hosts file later if indicated.

Additional Comments

1. Create a new User Account with Administrative Privileges and install and try to run Premiere Elements 12 from there.

See Control Panel/ and, under "User Accounts and Family Safety", click on "Add or remove user accounts". We do not want to remove

the current user account. Rather we just want to add a new one to work from for this troubleshooting. We can always get rid of the

new user account and go back to the old one if indicated.

2. Contact Adobe via its Adobe Chat which can offer you remote control of your computer for troubleshooting purposes. That does not prohibit you

from continuing out discussions, but we can not offer you the remove control of your computer for troubleshooting purposes as can Adobe Chat.

If you want to try this route, please click on the following link for Adobe Chat and the topic of "Downloading, Installing, and Setting Up".

Contact Customer Care

I have pre-set the link for

Premiere Elements

Downloading, Installing, and Setting Up

Chat Panel

If the link does not hold, then you will have to navigate through until you get to an active Chat Panel.

Do not use this route if it ends with Ask the Community since that will bounce you back to the forums. At this very moment the Chat Panel

is down. It has been working on and off for weeks.

Please review and consider and then we can decide what next. We might try for new installation files next, provided we have gone through all that we have discussion without finding a resolution.

Thanks for the follow ups.

Do not give up.

ATR

• 6. Re: Why won't my Premiere elements 12 start up?
                    novice central Level 1

Hello ATR,

I did only delete the BadDrivers.text file which had no effect.

"Way 1 and the hosts file"

I have checked the Hosts.txt file and the is nothing below the    #         :: 1   LocalHost

as per the image in the link.

I'll Look at the Administrator file and reply when done

Thanks again,

NC

• 7. Re: Why won't my Premiere elements 12 start up?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

novice central

Thanks for the follow ups with the troubleshooting.

I am hoping that we can get a breakthrough with the new User Account with Administrative Privileges. That approach has often worked as a last

resource or near it.

If that does not resolve the problem, I am thinking about having you consider using new installation files which you can download from a web site whose link I will post. Then you can use the install of them as the tryout or insert your already purchased serial number in them to make them your working copy.

To be continued...

ATR

• 8. Re: Why won't my Premiere elements 12 start up?
                        novice central Level 1

Hello ATR,

Over the weekend I created a new user account with administrative privileges. I started Premiere 12 again and it performed the same as before. The Organiser is fine but Premiere loads the start screen, you get the green and purple horizontal stripes and then nothing happens.

Also the box below keeps popping up when using my computer?

I have to admit I’m getting a bit frustrated now, it should be easier than this. Photoshop 12 works fine but I wanted Premiere to put together a movie of my son for his 18th birthday. Disappointing.

However, I do thank you for all your help but I really need this to work.

So, I’m ready to go to the next stage to solve my problem.

Thanks once again for your help,

Regards,

Peter

• 9. Re: Why won't my Premiere elements 12 start up?
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

notice central

We could still look at new installation files. These would be the tryout Premiere Elements 12 files into which you can insert your purchased serial number to make it your working copy if it works for you. You can get these files from the following link

http://prodesigntools.com/photoshop-elements-12-direct-download-links-premiere.html

It is critical that you read and carry out the "Note: Very Important Instructions" section at that web site. Otherwise you will end up with access denied message.

I would definitely encourage you to contact Adobe via its Adobe Chat on the topic of "Downloading, Installing, and Setting Up". It has the option of offering your remote control of the computer troubleshooting which we cannot. Adobe classically supports only the current version and, if history repeats itself, 12 will not be the latest version much longer. A new version of the program is expected around the end of September 2014.

Try

Contact Customer Care

I have it pre-set for

Premiere Elements

Downloading, Installing, and Setting Up

Downloading and Installing

Chat Panel

I am not sure if the link will keep the set. If not, you will need to navigate to the Chat Panel using the cited topics as guides.

If you travel the route and end up with Ask the Community, try again later. Wait for Chat Panel. Chat is undergoing updating and

you never know if you are going to find it present or active.

But, we can continue our discussions here also.

Thanks.

ATR