1 Reply Latest reply on May 4, 2007 2:25 PM by Stephen B. Sealy

    External Links not working from Master

    Jodie_Boedie Level 1
      I have a two-part issue...

      I have a huge help system - 120 projects merged together through one master. I automatically compile the .chm files into one master folder - so master.chm, slave1.chm, slave2.chm, and slave3.chm are all in one folder. In Slave 1, I have external links to topics in Slave 2 and Slave 3.

      When I open slave1.chm, the external links to topics in both slave2.chm and slave3.chm work. When I open master.chm, the external links to slave2.chm work, but the external links to slave3.chm do not work. I've tried recreating the links, thinking I did something wrong . . . but still nothing. I tried remerging the project . . . but still nothing.

      Any help on that one?

      The second issue is with the index. Given all the same criteria as above, if I open slave1.chm, I see a ton of index entries from just that project, just as expected. If I open master.chm, I see the index entries from the other merged projects as expected, but only about 1/5 of the entries from slave1.chm (I can't say whether the other projects have their entire index showing or not).

      Any ideas on why only partial index appears in master.chm?

      Thank You
      Jodie
        • 1. Re: External Links not working from Master
          Stephen B. Sealy Level 1
          I've been researching similar problems in a large set of projects converted from WinHelp. If you search this forum for "merge," you'll find a lot of information.

          For the first problem you describe, I've found that if I use a text editor to add the referenced CHM files to the slave project's [MERGE FILES] section, the external links work when I launch the slave project's CHM file. Neverthless, as your second question about the partial index implies, there are other considerations for merged projects.

          In my case, I think I'll avoid some of these problems by combining most of the converted projects into a single RoboHelp HTML project. (A lot of the external links in WinHelp were popups, and I haven't found a supportable way of implementing external popup links in CHM files.)