9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 6, 2014 7:54 PM by BKKDon

Will Lightroom Mobile be available for the Surface 2?

Combat By Design Level 1

Hey all,

A quick Google search didn't provide me with any relevant, much less remotely helpful information.

I picked up a Surface 2 last year around the holidays to use when I go on client meetings, and for scheduling on the fly, and I love it. It was not intended to replace my work laptop (for those who may ask why i didn't buy a Surface Pro II(financial reasons as well)), but I'm turning to a lot of photography in my spare time, and carry my camera on every outing, vacation, and trip I go.

So does anyone know if they'll be making Lightroom available for the RT OS? I'd love to get it so I can batch process my photos from family events that someone has requested, or at the very least catalog my photos on my SD card when I'm sitting in the hotel/tent/whatever.

Any info would be awesome!

Thanks!

-Kevin

• 1. Re: Will Lightroom Mobile be available for the Surface 2?
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

All I can say is that there *probably* are plans to support the Surface. But I am just a user and don't know. Anyone who does know if/when that support will be provided cannot say.

• 2. Re: Will Lightroom Mobile be available for the Surface 2?
            Combat By Design Level 1

You know one thing I LOVE about the Tesla Car Co, Jim?

They announce their plans when they form them, because they know they're on top and no one will be able to do it any better than they are....

• 3. Re: Will Lightroom Mobile be available for the Surface 2?
              JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Well, Adobe ain't the Tesla car co.. You can almost say that Adobe is very secretive.

• 4. Re: Will Lightroom Mobile be available for the Surface 2?
                Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I highly doubt it would happen anytime soon. They will probably first support Android tablets with Lightroom mobile before you see surface (i.e. the non-Pro ones) tablets supported as there simply are almost no surface users compared to iOS and Android. The latter two completely dominate the tablet market so Surface RT is going to be very low priority for Adobe. On Android, support will likely be very much like the iOS Lightroom mobile app, so not a complete offline solution. It is sort of fun to play with on the iPad but ultimately a gimmick and it won't take in raw files from flash cards due to bandwidth costs and UI issues for Adobe. The only realistically workable solution for digesting raw files with Lightroom on the go is still a small lightweight laptop. I understand the surface pro also works since those are simply intel laptops with some user interface tweaks but I doubt the user interface of the desktop Lightroom works well enough with touch interfaces but I could be wrong.

• 6. Re: Will Lightroom Mobile be available for the Surface 2?
                  ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Adobe is secretive because, in part, they are a large company that is publically traded and has over a billion dollar market cap with millions of customers and tens of thousands of employees.  They don't preannounce things that are so tenuous because that puts expectations in users and traders minds which if not met will cause swings in their stock price.

Mobile, so if they haven't; said anything about Windows RT, I'd guess they are NOT working on it, although they would always keep their options open if the market share of RT becomes large enough to justify the cost of the development effort.

Tesla's profit is $17-million.  Adobe's is about 1-billion.  You're more careful when you're bigger.

• 7. Re: Will Lightroom Mobile be available for the Surface 2?
                    BKKDon Level 4

I also doubt it as there is a general consensus that RT will die a quick death.

Quotes:

• Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella has said that his company will be working to combine all Windows versions into a unified release by next year."
                    • "Microsoft is about to take the axe to one of the stupidest products it ever created.", says CNN Money
                    • 8. Re: Will Lightroom Mobile be available for the Surface 2?
                      Combat By Design Level 1

"Microsoft is about to take the axe to one of the stupidest products it ever created."

I'm going to start with: "Stupidest" isn't even a word...so there's that... but I fail to see how RT is a 'stupid' invention. It runs like Windows, but does EXACTLY what it's intended to do: prevents you from installing any old program just like that BS iOS system does unless you pay $1000 (which is the cost of an Ipad that STILL bogs you down). I know I'm going to get a rash for saying that...but I think this describes it perfectly:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pqb-1aUaPk8

RT is also favored by most photographers I've talked to that like to do work on the road but don't want to carry a lap top with them. They use the Photor app, not an Adobe app, which has the ability to process most RAW files.

"Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella has said that his company will be working to combine all Windows versions into a unified release by next year"

And that's great that they'll be working on it by next year (and I'm serious about that)... but that won't happen/be released until they release their next XBox...which will be at minimum three years from now, at which point it'll be time for another OS to be released to cater to the new hardware all around.

• 9. Re: Will Lightroom Mobile be available for the Surface 2?
                        BKKDon Level 4

Hi,

I'm only quoting other sources, I don't believe iOS, Android or Win RT are robust enough to support processing RAW files - that is demonstrated by the current iOS version of Lightroom mobile where Adobe state:

"Edit and organize images on your iPad or iPhone with Lightroom mobile.

Enhance everything from smartphone photos to raw images from DSLRs. Automatically sync iPad or iPhone edits to Lightroom 5 on your desktop, and sync Lightroom desktop edits back to your iPad or iPhone.  Easily share photos from your iPad or iPhone to social media sites."

This only caters for images limited to 2560 pixels on the long edge - Smart Previews.

If you look at the thread When will Lightroom Mobile handle Raws files. I work in Raw not jpgs and there is a little frustration there but the problem may not ever be resolved with the staggering high MB count of the current crop of RAW files from various manufacturers. 

In my case I use Android as a Phone and Remote Control for Canon/Sony, if I tether or edit I use a PC/USB.