3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2014 12:44 PM by Jao vdL

16 bit printing

PEBishop

Hi I'm new to this forum but hope someone can point me in the right direction.

I'm using Lightroom version 5.5 . When printing and in the Print Job menu, I do not have the 16 bit box to tick for my files to be printed.  I've seen it in the tutorials with Juliann Kost but it does not appear in my menu.

Do I have to switch it on or upgrade something.

Hope you can help.

Paul Bishop

• 1. Re: 16 bit printing
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The reason is that you are probably using Windows, and Julianne is using Mac. There 16-bit printing option is not available in Windows. I use Windows 7, and have a printer that has a 16 bit driver. I use it most of the time, but hasn't been able to see any difference in print quality.

• 2. Re: 16 bit printing
            thedigitaldog MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Further, you're probably not going to see any difference if you could select 16-bit or not (I can't going out to my Epson's). In the future, that could be useful. Today, sending the best 8-bits per color is what most drivers support.

• 3. Re: 16 bit printing
              Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I tested it on an Epson as well as on a Canon machine from my Mac and you really cannot see any difference as long as you let Lightroom manage colors and the icc profiles for your printer are good. In that case it is pretty clear that 8-bit is just fine. If I let the driver manage, I think I can sometimes see a difference by getting mildly posterized subtle gradients. This makes sense from how Lightroom works with the printer driver in that case as supposedly it sends the data in 8-bit prophotoRGB, which can lead to posterized gradients in extreme cases.