6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2014 12:58 PM by A.T. Romano

Moving a group of clips?

KT7373

I'm working in Premiere Elements 9. I have about 24 layers of clips. One grouped at the beginning of the video. One grouped in the middle of the video. And, one grouped at the end of the video.

I've moved the last group so there is ample open space for the middle group to be moved over a fraction of a second. That last group moved without any problems. However, when I try to move the middle group it is breaking the other groups.

Here's what happens when I use hold keys on the keyboard when moving the middle group:

1) No key: Moves the middle group, but also moves last group out about 2 seconds. Breaks the first group, putting a portion of the clip after the middle group.

2) Alt: Only moves the one layer of the group. Cannot move the group as a whole. Last group retains it's position.

3) Shift: Same as no key held.

4) Ctl: Moves the middle group, but breaks the third group so portions of those clips are mixed into the middle group placement.

How can I move over the middle group as a whole without adjusting the groups before or after?

Thanks in advance for the help!

• 1. Re: Moving a group of clips?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

KT7373

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 9 running on and are you running the 9.0.1 Update version of the program. Just background information.

To each of the three groups, have you first applied the Group option under the Clip Menu? If so, you do not use Alt or Ctrl. You click and drag the selected/highlighted Group to where you want it. Doing that, to the extreme, I can move the Groups including dragging Group 2 over Group 3 to place Group 2 after Group 3 and no disturbances.

But you must wait the the Group to be selected/highlighted completely before you move it.

However, could it be that you have lost control of your project for resource reasons. Besides the 24 tracks high and the body of the tracks in three Groups, what is the duration of this project? Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 is a 32 bit application whether it is run on a 32 bit or 64 bit computer, and the limitations include max supported installed RAM = 4 GB of which 3.2 to 3.0 or less of that are available.

Please review and consider.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Moving a group of clips?
            KT7373 Level 1

Thanks for the quick response, and good thoughts, though I'm not sure we are any closer.

I am running Windows 7. I also ran the update check through the help menu, and it said the program was up-to-date (version 9.0.1).

Yes, when referring to the three groups, they were sectioned together via the clip menu, Group option. I initially tried not using Alt or Ctrl, and that caused problems. There are details as to what those problems were in the first post. The middle group was fully highlighted when I attempted to make the move, so I don't think that was the problem.

I do have a T1 drive and plenty of Memory and CPU available (viewing the computers Task Manager) when attempting to make the move, so I'm not sure that's the problem either. The reason for so many layers is because of this ongoing 'clip shift' problem I've been having and the need to control the fading in/out overlaps. At any given time, there are only 8 layers being used. The video is about 3 mins and 30 seconds long.

Additional thoughts?

• 3. Re: Moving a group of clips?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

KT7373

Could you post a screenshot of your Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 Timeline workspace opened tracks?

In a 32 bit system, you have only 3.2 to 3.0 or less available RAM (I am thinking less), so I am not factoring that out yet.

What is your project preset?

Given Timeline in place as described for the 3 Groups. Head to Share/Computer/AVCHD. Select a preset whose properties

match your project settings and media. In the presets export dialog with the Save button at its bottom right, look to the bottom of that

dialog and read what is gives for the estimated file size and duration.

Thanks. I am thinking about this some more.

ATR

• 4. Re: Moving a group of clips?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

KT7373

Add On to post numbered 3....

If we get desperate....Select/highlight the middle Group and then, as you hold down the Shift+Alt key, keep tapping the right arrow key in order to move the Group to the right 5 frames per each tap.

ATR

• 5. Re: Moving a group of clips?
                  KT7373 Level 1

Thanks again for the response A.T.

The screenshot is below. The fields highlighted are part of the center group. I'm continuing to work on this project, so there are a couple additional clicks added adjacent to that section (that weren't there previously) but I'm not sure that will impact anything.

I am running a 64-bit system. Is that a problem?

I don't see an option for AVCHD under Share/Computer. The options I have are Adobe Flash Video, MPEG, AVI, Windows Media, QuickTime, Image and Audio. Would you like the specs for one of those options?

The Shift+Alt+Right Arrow is a working great - while I'd still love to have a resolution to this, I will adjust the file that way.

Capture.PNG

• 6. Re: Moving a group of clips?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

KT7373

Thanks for the follow up. I will try to duplicate your tracks arrangements to take another look at the 3 Groups movements.

You say that the middle Group is the highlighted selected Group in the screenshot. Please confirm that Group 3 consists only of

Drip3-Closin

closing4.wm

Title 4

Flexib

Lino Ri

Oops about AVCHD choice in Share/Computer/. The AVCHD choice did not arrive until Premiere Elements 10 (whether 32 bit or 64 bit application), and I overlooked that you are using Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1.

The situation is this with regard to 32 and 64 bit application..

On Windows..Premiere Elements is a 64 bit application only on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit. Otherwise, 32 bit application.

Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 on Windows whatever 32 bit or 64 bit is a 32 bit application.

Glad that the Shift+Alt 5 frames per arrow key tap nudge worked for you. I will try to determine the factors involved in your results when you were moving the Groups otherwise.

ATR