2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 1, 2014 8:33 AM by wrgould

I have two versions of Lightroom installed on my computer, can I uninstall the older version?

wrgould

While looking at the "Programs and Features" folder on my Windows 7 computer I discovered that I have two versions of Adobe Lightroom installed on my system. One is Lightroom 5.2, installed on 9/19/2013, and the other is Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5.5 64-bit, installed on 7/5/2014

- Can I uninstall the older version?

- Will uninstalling the older version cause any problems with the newer version?

- If yes to either question, is there anything I need to do before doing the uninstall (i.e. deactivating, etc.)

Any advice on how to correct this problem is gratefully appreciated.

PS; I have the same issue with Muse CC. See: I have two versions of Muse CC installed on my computer, can I uninstall the older version?

• 1. Re: I have two versions of Lightroom installed on my computer, can I uninstall the older version?
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It's odd that you would have two installations of the same version of Lightroom 5. On Windows, installation of an update normally replaces a previous one. A new major version such as Lightroom 6 would be installed in addition to an older version. At any rate, each version of Lightroom is separate and independent. There is nothing in a previous version the program file that is needed. The newer version would use the same catalog and previews, etc. But the program itself can be removed using the Windows uninstall routine.

• 2. Re: I have two versions of Lightroom installed on my computer, can I uninstall the older version?
            wrgould Level 1

Jim,

I thought it was odd that I had two versions of Lightroom installed as well. I have been able to track the issue back to an apparent "bug" in the Lightroom 5.2 update that installed a second version of Lightroom in addition to updating the existing version on my computers. At the time, I posted about it at Lightroom 5 installed twice on my laptop. While I never got an answer to my question, which was "Is this normal?" I did hear from others in the forum the experienced the same problem and had the same question. As time passed, later releases updated one of the two installations, but did not effect the second. Hence, two different versions of Lightroom 5 installed on the same computer.

Uninstalling the older version solved the problem. Thanks