3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2014 1:50 PM by Steve Werner

HTML in Interactive PDF

Earnest Hart

I'm using InDesign CS6. I have HTML code that displays a Search Box. How can I embed this code into an Interactive PDF?

Would it be the same process as creating a button? I don't see anywhere to insert code.

My plan is for users to be able to search a multi-page PDF document without having to bring up the search box using the browser or Acrobat. The Search Box would always be visible somewhere on the PDF document. - either at the top or bottom of the page.

Thanks for any help.

Earnest

• 1. Re: HTML in Interactive PDF
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

PDF is an older format, which follows an international standard. It has not and probably never will give that kind of support for HTML.

You could look to  DPS or EPUB3 workflows instead.

• 2. Re: HTML in Interactive PDF
            Earnest Hart Level 1

I'm not familiar with the DPS or EPUB3 workflows, but will start researching them.

One question though: Will either of those workflows support desktops or just mobile devices?

My Agency creates massive directory publications that are published in print and also in PDF form on our website. I'm thinking that most of the users who access these directories would be from desktop office computers.

Thanks for your help.

Earnest

• 3. Re: HTML in Interactive PDF
              Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

DPS = Adobe Digital Publishing Suite. Used in apps for tablets or smartphones.

EPUB3 = A format for eBooks. InDesign CS6 doesn't provide the latest support for EPUB3 export. There have been big improvements in InDesign CC, including creating Fixed Format EPUB. EPUB3 would be supported by a variety of EPUB supporting applications and within browsers on both desktop, tablets/smartphones and dedicated EPUB devices.