It is not a font issue it is a document issue. It seems to me that this document was created in a ME version, Hebrew, Farsi or Arabic. There have been done some setting to accomplish RTL text. Only ME versions have an user interface to change RTL to LTR. It could be done via scripting too, but there are more issues with this document which you will not discover until you open it in a ME version and turn off those features.
Oh brother, yeah, just learned today that the company I am working at was using an ME version when the document that I am having the issue with was created. Ugh, thanks for your response, Willi. But, Im a little unclear regarding the scripting comment. Are you saying that a script might help to get it to read Left to Right?
OK…will give it a try…thank you!
The RTL is not seen as corruption from an InDesign document and will survive the IDML correction.
A script might correct this problem BUT it is not only the RTL function in one place where problems could occur:
- Binding left or right || > Document Setup…
- Story direction || > Story Panel
- Paragraph direction || > Paragraph Panel, Paragraph Styles
- Single Word direction || > Character Panel, Character Styles
- Numbers || > Paragraph Panel, Character Panel, Paragraph Styles, Character Styles
- Composite Fonts || > Type > Composite Font Menu (not available in Western InDesign at all
- Adobe World Ready Composers ||> Type > Apply Adobe World Ready Composers || > Paragraph Panel, Paragraph Styles
- Other Justivication settings beside composer
- ME character formats || > Paragraph Panel, Paragraph Styles
So it is not an easy thing to remove ME properties from a document as they are hidden on different places and you can only blind suppose that these features are turned on. Without having an User Interface it will be difficult to work with it even if you have scriptures to do so.
So I think it would be easier to go back to the original version or get a trial from CC-ME, correct it there and export the corrected version back to IDML. Or even better, upgrade to a CC subscription which will give you permanent access to these functionality.
Will give it a whirl… tho it sounds like I will be visiting "Square One" on this job. Thanks, Willi.