6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2014 8:54 AM by SIcsempertyrannis

Type flowing from right to left

SIcsempertyrannis Level 1

Using CS5... Has anyone ever come across this one? Was trying to copy pages from one Indesign doc to another and when the text was dropped into the new doc it changed from flush left to flush right. And ran from right to left instead of left to right. I noticed that the text in the document that I was copying from said that WinSoftPro was being used. As far as I know, this font was used at one time for foreign language translations and is problematic. However, I replaced the WinSoftPro w/Myriad Pro--but the problem persists. Any ideas on how I can fix this? Thanks.

• 1. Re: Type flowing from right to left
          Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

It is not a font issue it is a document issue. It seems to me that this document was created in a ME version, Hebrew, Farsi or Arabic. There have been done some setting to accomplish RTL text. Only ME versions have an user interface to change RTL to LTR. It could be done via scripting too, but there are more issues with this document which you will not discover until you open it in a ME version and turn off those features.

• 2. Re: Type flowing from right to left

Oh brother, yeah, just learned today that the company I am working at was using an ME version when the document that I am having the issue with was created. Ugh, thanks for your response, Willi. But, Im a little unclear regarding the scripting comment. Are you saying that a script might help to get it to read Left to Right?

• 3. Re: Type flowing from right to left
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

A script probably could be used to correct the text direction, but it might also work if you export to .idml (see Remove minor corruption by exporting ) or turn on the World Read composer.

• 4. Re: Type flowing from right to left

OK…will give it a try…thank you!

• 5. Re: Type flowing from right to left
                  Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

The RTL is not seen as corruption from an InDesign document and will survive the IDML correction.

A script might correct this problem BUT it is not only the RTL function in one place where problems could occur:

1. Binding left or right || > Document Setup…
                  2. Story direction || > Story Panel
                  3. Paragraph direction || > Paragraph Panel, Paragraph Styles
                  4. Single Word direction || > Character Panel, Character Styles
                  5. Numbers || > Paragraph Panel, Character Panel, Paragraph Styles, Character Styles
                  6. Composite Fonts || > Type > Composite Font Menu (not available in Western InDesign at all
                  7. Adobe World Ready Composers ||> Type > Apply Adobe World Ready Composers || > Paragraph Panel, Paragraph Styles
                  8. Other Justivication settings beside composer
                  9. ME character formats  || > Paragraph Panel, Paragraph Styles

So it is not an easy thing to remove ME properties from a document as they are hidden on different places and you can only blind suppose that these features are turned on. Without having an User Interface it will be difficult to work with it even if you have scriptures to do so.

So I think it would be easier to go back to the original version or get a trial from CC-ME, correct it there and export the corrected version back to IDML. Or even better, upgrade to a CC subscription which will give you permanent access to these functionality.

• 6. Re: Type flowing from right to left

Will give it a whirl… tho it sounds like I will be visiting "Square One" on this job. Thanks, Willi.