5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2014 12:38 PM by A.T. Romano

Premiere Elements 9 crashes when I try to open a project

emilyw76

Premiere Elements 9 was installed on my laptop when I bought it. I have only just tried to use it for the first time this week. When I choose 'create a new project' it opens but there's only a blank screen - no way to start editing, drag video in, etc. When I try to re-open a project, it crashes - saying there has been an error and it has to close.

I have uninstalled and re-installed from the discs that came with the laptop but this problem continues to happen.

Any ideas what I can do to fix this?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 9 crashes when I try to open a project
          A.T. Romano Level 7

emilyw76

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 9 running on? For now I will assume Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit.

Have you installed the 9.0.1 Update and are trying to work from it? I suspect not. To do that, you can use Help Menu/Update within the project or, if that is not possible, you can do the update with the program closed. Use the download link

Adobe - Premiere Elements : For Windows : Premiere Elements 9.0.1 update

Then the usual

1. Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer?

2. Are you running the program from a User Account with Administrative Privileges and have you applied Run As Administrator to the desktop icon of the program?

3. What video card/graphics card does your computer use? How many cards, 1 or 2? And, is the card driver version up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the card or the web site of the manufacturer of the computer?

An important troubleshooting scheme is to delete the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file and, if necessary, the whole 9.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists.

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 9.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If that does not work, then you delete the whole 9.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists. Be sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the complete path cited.

After you determine that the video card/graphics card is up to date and the problems persist, the delete the BadDrivers.txt file.

Local Disk C

Program Data

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 9.0 Folder is the BadDrivers.txt file that you delete. (After you close out of there and open a project, a new BadDrivers.txt file will be generated but the problem should be gone hopefully.)

Please review and consider the above and then we will decide what next as indicated.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 9 crashes when I try to open a project
            emilyw76 Level 1

Thanks for your suggestions. I'm working on a Windows 7 laptop.

When I try to download the 9.0.1 update I get an error message: "There was an error downloading this update. Please quit and try again later". It doesn't say what the problem is.

1. Yes

2. I've tried this and got the same blank grey screen as before (no work area) - tried to open a project/ create new and I got the error message: "Sorry, a serious error has occurred that requires Adobe Premiere Elements to shut down." But then it doesn't shut down.

3. I'm not sure what kind of video card - how do I find this out?

Unless you have other suggestions, given my replies above, I'll try deleting the folder you suggest next.

Thanks

Emily

Premiere Elements 9 crashes when I try to open a project

created by A.T. Romano in Premiere Elements - View the full discussion

emilyw76

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 9 running on? For now I will assume Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit.

Have you installed the 9.0.1 Update and are trying to work from it? I suspect not. To do that, you can use Help Menu/Update within the project or, if that is not possible, you can do the update with the program closed. Use the download link

Adobe - Premiere Elements : For Windows : Premiere Elements 9.0.1 update

Then the usual

1. Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer?

2. Are you running the program from a User Account with Administrative Privileges and have you applied Run As Administrator to the desktop icon of the program?

3. What video card/graphics card does your computer use? How many cards, 1 or 2? And, is the card driver version up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the card or the web site of the manufacturer of the computer?

An important troubleshooting scheme is to delete the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file and, if necessary, the whole 9.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists.

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 9.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If that does not work, then you delete the whole 9.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists. Be sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the complete path cited.

After you determine that the video card/graphics card is up to date and the problems persist, the delete the BadDrivers.txt file.

Local Disk C

Program Data

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 9.0 Folder is the BadDrivers.txt file that you delete. (After you close out of there and open a project, a new BadDrivers.txt file will be generated but the problem should be gone hopefully.)

Please review and consider the above and then we will decide what next as indicated.

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 9 crashes when I try to open a project
              A.T. Romano Level 7

emilyw76

Thanks for the follow up.

If you have not already, please do the 9.0.1 download from the Adobe link (with Premiere Elements 9 closed) instead of from Help Menu/Update within the opened project.

To find out the video card/graphics card that your computer is using, go to Device Manager/Display Adapters/.

Double clicking Display Adapters should reveal the name of your video card/graphics card. If you have more than 1, you will find out there.

Then double click the name of your video card/graphics card to get to the next dialog which has a Driver Tab.

Click on the Driver Tab, and tell us what it says for Driver Version and Driver Date.

Two vital troubleshooting steps will be

a. Deletion of the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file and, if necessary, the whole 9.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists

and

b. Deletion of the BadDrivers.txt file if your video card/graphics card is up to date the program still does not work.

Please refer to post numbered 1. But, if any questions, please let us know so that we can supplement or clarify the reply.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 9 crashes when I try to open a project
                emilyw76 Level 1

Thanks.

I have now managed to do the 9.0.1. download from the website.

The video graphics card is: "Intel(R) HD Graphics Family". It says it's working properly and up-to-date.

Driver date: 19/07/2011. Driver version: 8.15.10.2455.

I clicked on 'update driver' and it told me the driver is up-to-date.

The other 'display adaptor' is called: "NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M".

Driver date: 23/10/2013. Driver version: 9.18.13.3165. This also says it's working properly and is up-to-date.

I haven't been able to find the Adobe Premier Prefs folder. I followed the steps you gave me but my folders don't have the same names as you gave.

Thanks,

Emily

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 9 crashes when I try to open a project
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Emilyw76

As for video card/graphic card,

The NVIDIA GeForce GT540M is not up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the card

Please refer to NVIDIA Driver Downloads - Advanced Search

from which the following is excerpted

NVIDIAGe.JPG

You mention that you have 2 video cards/graphics cards. Often Premiere Elements does not fare well with two cards. So, after updating what you have, you should look at disabling the built in Intel HD Graphics and determining if that resolves any or all of the issues.

As for deletion of the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file, the whole 9.0 Folder in which it exists, and the BadDrivers.txt file, please assure that you are working with Folder Options Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives enabled so that you can see the complete path cited. Be careful not to detour off the path cited.

In the following screenshot, please note the path at the top

Path.JPG

Please review and consider. Then we will determine what next.

Thank you.

ATR