2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 30, 2014 7:55 PM by n-other

disable hardware acceleration programmatically

n-other

Hello,

Nowadays number of devices supporting flash is quite huge, however some of those devices do not support right clicking.

End user experience is also getting very important, so I want to understand if it's possible to disable flash hardware acceleration programmatically? (using actionscript, external SWF or executing Cthulhu summon procedure

I want to be able to disable hardware acceleration with simple checkbox. I googled this a lot, however I couldn't find any solution for this.

anyone?

• 1. Re: disable hardware acceleration programmatically
          sinious Most Valuable Participant

Have you tried simply setting the embed code wmode property to transparent or opaque? I cannot say if this still disables it but back when Stage3D first came out I had to do this a bit to get some content to work. wmode="transparent" or wmode="opaque" would disable hardware acceleration (fixed some h264 playback issues too). Might be worth a shot.

• 2. Re: disable hardware acceleration programmatically
            n-other Level 1

hi,

i've tried all possible wmode options, however they don't really affect the video playback problem I am facing. the only way to fix it is to disable hardware acceleration in flash settings.

to be frank, I find current situation quite irritating - every service providing video experience to the users via flash is having special page containing advices for HW acceleration disabling:

vimeo: Playback Issues on Vimeo

youtube: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/1230977?hl=en

hulu: http://www.hulu.com/help/articles/166587

etc... millions of them

and the only way to disable hardware acceleration is to go to the flash settings and disable it manually.

I wonder if there is anyone from Adobe reading those topics? For the last two weeks I googled a lot this topic, people like me are trying to provide best user experience, but they can't. I found similar to this topic even on those forums. The author also had to go for the manual 'resolution' approach. Come on guys, this is 2014, there should be more smarter ways doing this like providing actionscript methods for changing this option.