4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2014 8:27 AM by sheilsoft

Lightroom - Graduated Filter 'Angle' slider?

sheilsoft

Can I please suggest a hopefully useful feature request for the next version?

Would it be possible to add an 'Angle' slider to the Graduated Filter panel. Adjusting the angle by grabbing the center line handle is very twitchy, and can only be aligned by eye. More often than not I always start by pulling down from the top, or up from the bottom, a leveled filter, and I spend too much time fiddling around trying to get it level. With an Angle slider, and setting its slider default to horizontal (180 deg) would be ideal, more accurate and give a very useful alternative for placement control IMHO.

Any thoughts?

Rgds,

Howard

• 1. Re: Lightroom - Graduated Filter 'Angle' slider?
          RikkFlohr Adobe Community Professional

Feature requests go here: Recently active topics in Photoshop Family about Photoshop Lightroom 

I think Next Version would be optimistic. Maybe for LR 7?

• 2. Re: Lightroom - Graduated Filter 'Angle' slider?
            richardplondon Level 4

Would it be possible to add an 'Angle' slider to the Graduated Filter panel. Adjusting the angle by grabbing the center line handle is very twitchy, and can only be aligned by eye. More often than not I always start by pulling down from the top, or up from the bottom, a leveled filter, and I spend too much time fiddling around trying to get it level.

I am not certain that a numerical value makes sense here. One would surely want the Grad Filter to be defined in relation to the picture content. So any subsequent adjustment to the crop angle (image straightening), perspective warp etc could/should then cause this stated value to alter, which may be confusing. Or, if pasted between images, is it meant to work to each one's crop, or original framing?

But I think a "helper" would be useful - LR may already do the below, I cannot check just now .

I'd logically expect to see a Shift key modifier. Grab the handle to rotate, and it turns freely unless you are holding down Shift, in which case the grad constrains itself temporarily to align with the edges of the current crop.

• 3. Re: Lightroom - Graduated Filter 'Angle' slider?
              Tom-Rock-Indy Level 3

I'm sure you already know you can hold the shift key and get a perfectly aligned graduated filter. Is that what you mean by starting with a "leveled filter"?

• 4. Re: Lightroom - Graduated Filter 'Angle' slider?
                sheilsoft Level 1

Feeling VERY silly now! I thought I knew all the little LR shortcuts & keystrokes, but Tom, I must have missed that one!!!

That does exactly what I'm after! Soooo... time to lie down in a dark room with a cool beer methinks!

Thanks very much Tom... much appreciated!

Will have to work out how to remove this question now... doh!

Rgds,

Howard