4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2014 12:03 PM by Jeannebean

Rendering slowed to a grinding halt CS6 on brand new mac pro...

Jeannebean

Unbelievably and excruciatingly painful slow rendering in AE CS6 on a brand new Mac Pro.

My Pro:

3.5 Ghz 6-core Intel Xeon E5

32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3 ECC

AMD FirePro D700 6144MB

OSX 10.9.2

1) Internal 500GB SSD - (using 90gb for AE media cache)

External Thunderbolt drives:

2) 2 TB WD Black Caviar - (hosting all project assets)

3) 2 TB WD Black Caviar - (rendering destination)

Running After Effects CS6

The footage in my comp is just a bunch of illustrator files, and shape layers. There are 2 videos, but removing them does not improve the rendering. All the illustrator files are RGB. I am using effects on layers, but nothing out of the ordinary, a few displacement maps, some grain (non animated), some distort mesh (pre-rendering the distort mesh helped a little, but pretty sure there is something REALLY wrong here)

When its rendering, and I look at Activity Monitor, 85% of the CPU is still idle! I'm using Rendering Multiple Frames... 6 Cores for AE - 4 for others. 3GB for AE.

Of the 32gb RAM saving 4 for others applications.

For 25 seconds of footage, the task bar says something like 6 hours to render... and then it doesn't even finish. Even pre-rendering the distort mesh in a 4 layer pre-comp, for 25 seconds, took 25 minutes.

Someone please help, I'm not sure whats going on, but something is horribly wrong.

• 1. Re: Rendering slowed to a grinding halt CS6 on brand new mac pro...
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

First, try turning RMFS off. Second, tell us what codec you are using for rendering. Some are very slow. We also need to know your comp settings (size and frame rate). A six hour render for 25 seconds may be normal for your system and your project, or you could have some other conflicts. How does your project do with a ram preview?

As far as your settings go, the number of processor cores used should match the number of cores in your system exactly. 6 cores for AE 4 for others is 10. I don't see a 10 core Mac Pro available. Something is fouled up with your memory settings.

Last question, are you new to AE?

• 2. Re: Rendering slowed to a grinding halt CS6 on brand new mac pro...
            Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Jeannebean wrote:

For 25 seconds of footage, the task bar says something like 6 hours to render... and then it doesn't even finish.

Wait, it doesn't finish? What error message does it give?

What exact version number of CS6 are you using (down to the last decimal)?

I'm with Rick, something sounds fouled up. Hopefully, we can figure it out.

• 3. Re: Rendering slowed to a grinding halt CS6 on brand new mac pro...
              Jeannebean Level 1

Not new to AE. Was rendering with animation codec, and have also tried using pro res 4444 to see if it will help.

comp size 1920 x 1080 @ 60fps

Turned off RMFS - and while this helps with the RAM preview (also setting the RAM preview to skip 1)

I was able to render using pro res 4444 @ 50% resolution @ 50% frame rate @ draft quality in 11 min (25 seconds) after pre-rendering 2 pre-comps.

Which is much better, but really don't understand why it could be taking so long.

I want to be able to RAM preview @ 60 fps - but every time RMFS is turned on it throws errors like "AE needs 2 or more playback frames" and I've also seen the error about it skipping frames and to allocate more memory to background processes. But no other programs running...

And I made a mistake: 12 cores, 8 for AE and 4 for other apps is what I had RMFS set to.

• 4. Re: Rendering slowed to a grinding halt CS6 on brand new mac pro...
                Jeannebean Level 1

It gave the RMFS error about skipping frames and allocating more memory to background processes. But this was on a render left overnight with nothing else running.

Even today when I turn on RMFS again, from having turned it off, it takes its time to start up, seems to start RMFS fine, and then stops, and continues rendering frame by frame.