5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2014 6:00 PM by A.T. Romano

Upgrade from (Very) Old Version Premier?

egscms

I suspect this is a stretch -- I have some old video on an old computer with Premier Elements 2.

It works, but its really slow.

Is there a way to upgrade these old files so Premier Elements 12 will read them?

I tried, but it tells me the files (.prel) are not compatible with the latest version.

Thanks,

Tim

• 1. Re: Upgrade from (Very) Old Version Premier?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Tim

There is such a huge difference between Premiere Elements 2 and 12, so the likelihood of a version 2 project.prel file opening in Premiere Elements 12 is very slim to none. Do you have Premiere Elements 2 still installed on one of your computers? If so, you might want to consider exporting the version 2 Timeline content to a file saved to the computer hard drive and then importing that file into version 12.

I have Premiere Elements 2 installed in the Windows XP Mode of Windows 7 64 bit. I will create a project in Premiere Elements 2 and determine if I can open it in version 12.

Best advice...if at all possible, create and finish a project in the program in which it was created.

ATR

• 2. Re: Upgrade from (Very) Old Version Premier?
            A.T. Romano Level 7

egscms

I did my mini test on a Premiere Elements 2 project.prel opening in Premiere Elements 12.

It is not an impossible scenario, but it not a guarantee either.

You are going to need to archive your Premiere Elements 2 project.prel so that it comes with copies of it source media.

If otherwise, the missing media situation in version 12 can complicate matters even more.

In Premiere Elements 2, the Project Archiver comes with Archive and Copy options under the Project Menu, not the File Menu as

in Premiere Elements 12. I could not get the Premiere Elements 2 Copy option to work. But the Archive option did to generate a "Trimmed Folder"

with copies of the project.prel and source media that went into the Timeline.

On the computer with Premiere Elements 12, the "Trimmed Folder" which had been saved to the computer hard drive was opened and the project.prel right clicked, Open With selected, followed by Adobe Premiere Elements 12.

Lots of variables, lot of opportunities for failure, but possibility of success.

ATR

• 3. Re: Upgrade from (Very) Old Version Premier?
              egscms Level 1

ATR thanks so much--I'll give it a try.

A related question -- I so agree to start/end a project on same software and version, but life gets in the way.

Is there a more generic program that captures camcorder video that I can then use in just about any editing program?

Thanks again.

Tim

• 4. Re: Upgrade from (Very) Old Version Premier?
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The .prel file you tried to open is a PROJECT file, not a video file

Unless you were using proprietary hardware/software back then, your video files should open just fine in ANY editing program

The reason I mention proprietary hardware/software (NOT Premiere Elements... and example) is once upon a time I used a Pinnacle DV500 card to convert input from a tape camera or VHS player... and up through version 4 of the DV500 software you could NOT edit or even play the video on a computer that did not have the card & software installed

So... what are your video files?

• 5. Re: Upgrade from (Very) Old Version Premier?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Tim

We are not talking Fraps and the like where the program installs the proprietary codecs necessary for its workings.

In the Premiere Elements world, you get into problems when you leave your project in the project file format (project.prel). Likewise, most video editing software has a project file format. If you save an unfinished project in Movie Maker, you get a .wlmp file. Most of the project file formats are for sole use within its particular software. Compatibility between the project files has its problems even in "all in the family" software.

But the formats for the import video and the export video should not typically be running into these issues. Consider...

Premiere Elements does change its supported import/export file...ex add to... AVCHD was not announced as supported until Premiere Elements 7. And...subtract from...the .tga file extension that was supported in version 8.0/8.0.1 is no longer supported in version 12.

Curious thing just happened. While I had Premiere Elements 2 opened I decided to refresh my memory on its assets. Its a strictly SD low resolution type version? But is it? I was experimenting with a QuickTime export and decided to change the export settings under the Advanced Button. I typed in 1920 for frame width and 1080 for frame height. The export was a nice looking 1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second with a AVCHD video codec. Now how did that happen? If you get a chance, please give that a try and see what you get.

By the way, what type of files did you import into Premiere Elements 2 and what were your favorite export types then?

More later.

Thanks for the follow ups.

ATR

Add On..I figured out how I got MediaInfo to readout out avc1 (AVCHD) for my Premiere Elements 2 QuickTime 1920 x 1080 export...under the QuickTime  Advanced, I used the H.264 video codec.