6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2014 7:12 PM by Stepp Chizzel

Problem with clips

Stepp Chizzel

I am currently using Adobe Premiere Elements 10. When I try to open file it says " This type file is not supported or the right codec is not installed. I installed a codec that will support but it still not working. Some clips work but others are a  red screen with Chinese  writing. What do I do?

• 1. Re: Problem with clips
          Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It sound like your files are offline need to be relinked.

What is your operating system?

Are the files on an external drive?

Where are the files from?

Download MediaInfo and upload a screenshot so that we can see the properties of the file:

MediaInfo

• 2. Re: Problem with clips
            A.T. Romano Level 7

stepp chizzel

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 10 running on? And what video card/graphics card does your computer use? Do you have 1 or 2 cards? Background information that we may need later. But for now....

Your wrote

When I try to open file it says " This type file is not supported or the right codec is not installed

Lots to sort out...The answers will be in your details.

What is the file extension of the file that you are trying to open? It is .prel? Or do you mean by trying to "open" rather trying to "import" in a new or existing project?. The distinction between the two are important for troubleshooting purposes.

And just what codec did you believed you needed and installed?

The other part of your thread concern

Some clips work but others are a  red screen with Chinese  writing. What do I do?

seems to point to you being in an existing project which you saved/closed and reopened. If so, after you saved closed that project, did you move, delete, or rename any file/folders that were imported into the project before it was saved closed?

Answer to all the above are important, but you do need to provide information on the formats of the files that you are introducing into the project(s). An quick way to do this is to let us know the brand/model/settings of the camera that recorded the video. More comprehensive information, if necessary, can be gotten from free video properties readout programs such as

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mediainfo/

and

GSpot Codec Information Appliance

We will be watching for further developments.

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: Problem with clips
              Stepp Chizzel Level 1

I used a XF100 Canon. The files are on an external drive. 64.Bit OS. I just went to CNet and downloaded a Media Player Codec Pac

• 4. Re: Problem with clips
                Stepp Chizzel Level 1

Hey I figured it out along with what you told me. Its on my external drive and I have to re-link all the files. I had unplugged it. Thanks a lot!!! This really helped!!!

• 5. Re: Problem with clips
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Steep Chizzel

Thanks for the follow up and great news that you sorted through the details to a solution.

When you import files into the project, you have copies of the originals in the project, not the originals. But, those copies in the project need to trace back to the originals wherever they were saved at the time of their import into the project.

Typically, these source media get moved, deleted, or files/folders renamed creating those nuisance Media Offline situations. An alternative cause of Media Offline is when the save location for the originals is an external hard drive and

a. (as in your case) the external hard drive gets unplugged

or

b. the drive letter of the external hard drive changes for reasons unknown

You did a great job.

Best wishes

ATR

Add On...Be careful with adding 3rd party codecs to the computer. Sometimes they can create more conflicts than the problem that they are expected to resolve.

• 6. Re: Problem with clips
                    Stepp Chizzel Level 1

Thanks again!