8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 1, 2014 8:34 PM by kritzberg

Lightroom vs Photoshop Elements Organizer

kritzberg Level 1

I don't know Lightroom, but a friend suggested it as a solution to my problem, so here goes:

I have a subscription to CC (and have used Creative Suite for years). I use CC at work, but for my personal, non-work photos, I have always used Photoshop Elements Organizer, because I have never found its equal -- as an organizer. Also, I have invested a massive amount of effort into tagging every photo (about 30,000 images, more than 10 years' worth) with keywords.

I have no interest in Photoshop Elements' other features. I have CC for anything that PSE does that I care to do.

However, I don't really want to keep shelling out for PSE, since I'm already paying (have paid) about a zillion dollars to Adobe over the years for Creative Suite and now CC.

So here's the question: Can I use Lightroom (or Bridge, perhaps) as a substitute for PSE Organizer? Does either program import PSE Organizer's catalogs? Because unless I can import what I've got, no other organizer will do it for me.

I'd also consider another organizer product if it could import PSE catalogs, but I'm hoping there's a little gem of a program already in CC that I'm not aware of that will do the trick.

TIA.

• 1. Re: Lightroom vs Photoshop Elements Organizer
          dj_paige Level 9

Lightroom does upgrade PSE catalogs for use in Lightroom. Give it a try. See if you like it.

• 2. Re: Lightroom vs Photoshop Elements Organizer
            kritzberg Level 1

Unfortunately, that didn't work so well.

Specifically, the import apparently eliminated the People Tag and the Groups underneath it, while keeping the Keywords for individual persons. However, several thousand pictures that had been filed under People now have no keyword associations at all.

Is this an incompatibility, or can I make these reappear by manipulating something in Lightroom?

• 3. Re: Lightroom vs Photoshop Elements Organizer
              dj_paige Level 9

I don't use the face recognition tags in PSE, but I think that those will not transfer to Lightroom, as there is no way to accomodate face recognition tags in Lightroom.

Earlier you said

However, I don't really want to keep shelling out for PSE, since I'm already paying (have paid) about a zillion dollars to Adobe over the years for Creative Suite and now CC.

so why keep paying for PSE upgrades? There are rarely any new "organizing" features in PSE. Just keep using the version you have, you can probably use it for many years until your operating system won't support older versions of PSE. My PSE 5 still runs under Windows 7 and I have heard that PSE 5 runs under Windows 8.

• 4. Re: Lightroom vs Photoshop Elements Organizer
                dj_paige Level 9

It's also possible that Lightroom 6 will have face recognition, and could possibly then receive that information when you upgrade from PSE. All of this is speculation, it could be 100% wrong, no one knows for sure. But face recognition in Lightroom is a very highly requested feature.

• 5. Re: Lightroom vs Photoshop Elements Organizer
                  kritzberg Level 1

Your point about keeping the version of PSE I already have is well taken. I have version 11 and it should work for awhile. My usual practice, however, is to update about 18-24 months after an Adobe product comes out, just to be sure of compatibility. I probably don't need to do that.

With regard to face recognition tags, I don't use them either. Every photo tagged as People, I added manually. What I think you're saying, though, is that Lightroom thinks those tags are applied via facial recognition and LR doesn't, er, 'recognise' them. If so, it wouldn't be hard for me to recreate my "People" structure in PSE and then import.

What do you think?

• 6. Re: Lightroom vs Photoshop Elements Organizer
                    dj_paige Level 9

With regard to face recognition tags, I don't use them either. Every photo tagged as People, I added manually. What I think you're saying, though, is that Lightroom thinks those tags are applied via facial recognition and LR doesn't, er, 'recognise' them. If so, it wouldn't be hard for me to recreate my "People" structure in PSE and then import.

I really wasn't trying to say that, as far as I know, Lightroom should recognize "ordinary" tags (the ones you apply manually) from PSE when you upgrade the PSE catalog.

What do you think?

I have no idea how hard it would be for you to re-create those tags in PSE

• 7. Re: Lightroom vs Photoshop Elements Organizer
                      kritzberg Level 1

Shouldn't be hard. I'll select using the existing tag and then batch-apply a new one that's outside the "People" group.

• 8. Re: Lightroom vs Photoshop Elements Organizer
                        kritzberg Level 1

NOW I remember the main reason I want to change from PSE. The damn thing crashes all the time. I apreciate the fact that it doesn't take down the catalog when it dies, but it's only a matter of time.