5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 1, 2014 11:00 AM by brucebowman

Add a generic font to the font-family value

David_Powers Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

When copying the CSS styles for fonts, Parfait sets the value of font-family to the name of a single font. I realize it might be difficult to create a complete font stack, but it's considered best practice to add a generic font at the end of the value for font-family.

Instead of this:

font-family: "Franklin Gothic Medium";

please add the generic font like this:

font-family: "Franklin Gothic Medium", sans-serif;

• 1. Re: Add a generic font to the font-family value
          Candyce Mairs Level 1

I totally agree, a font stack should always end with a generic font family. We teach this to web students, so parfait should follow that standard.

• 2. Re: Add a generic font to the font-family value
            sfgerman

I think this is a critical request. There will be a significant number of graphic designers using Parfait that aren't necessarily aware of the part font stacks play in styling a web page. Others who are aware won't want to be slowed down by having to add generic fonts after the fact. Please consider David's suggestion!

Sheri German

• 3. Re: Add a generic font to the font-family value
              brucebowman Employee Moderator

Hi David - good to see you here, and thanks for your feedback. I agree with you, and we've talked about doing this, but it just hasn't made it to the top of the backlog yet. I will check on that, and note that we have people requesting it too.

EDIT: this may not be as easy as it seems, as there would need to be a way to determine what family a given font falls into (serif/sans-serif). We'll have to see if we can find a way...

While you're here, I'd be curious what you think of the Typekit links we're providing when we find fonts in the PSD that match with what's in the Typekit library. Is that useful?

Would it be helpful if we also offered to build a Typekit kit for those fonts for you, providing you with the code snippet you'd need to insert in your site?

Thanks!

Bruce

• 4. Re: Add a generic font to the font-family value
                David_Powers Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

With hundreds (thousands?) of fonts, I can see how it might be difficult to provide the generic font for every single one that might be used in a PSD. However, if you're proposing creating a Typekit kit, you should at least be able to identify the correct generic font for all Typekit fonts.

As for creating a Typekit kit, I'm sure many people would find that useful. My only concern about placing such heavy emphasis on Typekit is what happens to sites on the rare occasions that the Adobe CDN goes down.

I'm very impressed with what has been achieved so far with Project Parfait. I've never used Photoshop to design websites myself, but I've converted a Photoshop design manually to CSS, and remember what a pain it was.

• 5. Re: Add a generic font to the font-family value
                  brucebowman Employee Moderator

We might be able to figure it out - just haven't tried yet.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Bruce