5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2014 12:24 PM by Wanchese West

I have a dual monitor setup.  When I paste develop settings from one image to another, Lightroom switches the active window.

ibdb Level 1

Strange problem.  Lightroom 5.5.  Windows 8.1. Dual monitor setup.

I'm processing a large batch of photos.  I have Monitor #1 set as my main develop window, with Monitor #2 set only to display a larger version of the image I'm working with. If I copy the develop settings off of one image and try to paste them onto another image, Lightroom will switch from Monitor #1 to Monitor #2 as the main develop window, and will not display anything on Monitor #1.

If I then try to paste develop settings onto another image on Monitor #2, LR will then display a larger version of the image I'm working with on Monitor #1.

To work the way I want to, I have to continually drag my develop window back to Monitor #1 every time I try to paste develop settings onto a new image. How can I make this stop?

• 1. Re: I have a dual monitor setup.  When I paste develop settings from one image to another, Lightroom switches the active window.
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I just tried what I think you’re saying you’re doing and I don’t have the problem with LR 5.5 on Windows 7 SP 2.

Does the same thing happen whether you use the key shortcuts vs the Settings / Copy/Paste options on the menu?

I ask this because if you’re using the keyboard shortcuts, maybe you have some display-manager program that has bound itself to the Ctrl-Shift-V (paste settings) to the function of move-to-other-monitor which would do at least part of what you describe.

You can also test this theory by doing a Ctrl-Shift-V with an application other than LR as the active window and see if it moves.  I suppose Ctrl-Shift-C might also play into it so try both of these hot-key combinations with a program that isn’t LR.

If none of this sheds any light on the situation, then give a more detailed description of the low-level functions you’re doing to accomplish the copy-paste of settings, so someone else could replicate the steps exactly.

Specific detailed steps, like:

• left-click on source photo’s thumbnail in the filmstrip
          • press Ctrl-Shift-C to copy the settings
          • click Check-None
          • enable the white-balance and calibration checkboxes
          • click Ok
          • left-click on destination photo's thumbnail in the filmstrip
          • click on Settings / Paste Settings in LR’s menus to paste the settings to the selected photo
          • 2. Re: I have a dual monitor setup.  When I paste develop settings from one image to another, Lightroom switches the active window.
            ibdb Level 1

Missed the notification that you had replied -- sorry for the delay and thanks for trying.

Not using keyboard shortcuts.  LR is the only program that I've had such annoying behavior, and it persisted into 5.6 and through several reboots.  I even noticed somewhat similar behavior adding some pictures to a collection.  Today however, when I went to walk through the process again, it didn't do it.  No idea what changed -- I haven't installed anything else, but did uninstall some older versions of LR and Photoshop that had remained on the system.

Fingers crossed it won't come back.

• 3. Re: I have a dual monitor setup.  When I paste develop settings from one image to another, Lightroom switches the active window.
              ibdb Level 1

And it's back.

• Right click on an image thumbnail (doesn't matter if it's in the filmstrip or main library window)
              • Select Develop Settings - Copy Settings
              • As soon as the Copy Settings option box pops up, the Lightroom application disappears from my preferred primary monitor and reappears on my preferred secondary monitor. I can see my desktop behind the Copy Settings option box.
              • After selecting "Copy," what had been on my secondary monitor appears on my primary monitor.
              • If I try to repeat the process, starting on the secondary monitor, my screens flicker, but do not swap positions or otherwise behave like they did the first time through.
              • If I manually swap the windows back around, putting my preferred primary window back in place, and my preferred secondary window where it belongs, attempting to copy develop settings results in everything switching places again.
              • 4. Re: I have a dual monitor setup.  When I paste develop settings from one image to another, Lightroom switches the active window.
                Wanchese West Level 1

I am having similar (but different) dual monitor issues. Just posted this on my unanswered thread. Hope it helps:

Blessed excrement! After months of frustrating LR dual monitor issues, and a month of waiting for an answer on this board, I called Adobe tech support. Only 5 mins before dialing, I had updated my CC PhotoShop application. When the helpful Adobe tech fellow gets on line, I am unable to replicate any of the issues that had been plaguing me. This is a stretch....a biiiiig stretch..... but it feels/appears/seems as though the PhotoShop CC update has fixed my LR dual monitor problems!?!?!? I am going to keep track of what other programs I use and open while LR-ing to see if they are the trigger, but for now all is quite on the dual monitor front.

• 5. Re: I have a dual monitor setup.  When I paste develop settings from one image to another, Lightroom switches the active window.
                  Wanchese West Level 1

Don't mark me down as correct yet! The problem has now manifest itself in other ways. I had black flagged a few hundred shots for deletion. When I tried 'Photo/Delete rejected photos/Yes' the panels swapped screens again. Adobe opened a case for me, so I will report any additional findings.