20 Replies Latest reply on Feb 19, 2015 10:21 AM by Szalam Branched to a new discussion.

After Effects 2014.0.1 CC update - BEWARE

MechanicalWhispers Level 1

I just now updated CC with the After Effects 2014.0.1 update, and it's like my After Effects has gone back to a fresh install. READ, ALL MY SETTINGS WERE DELETED. WORKSPACES DELETED. WINDOW SETTINGS, GONE!

What the hell, Adobe?!?!?! Oh, you say that I have my settings backed up to the cloud. In After Effects, I go to Preferences, Sync. And I get the message that CC can't connect, authorize, or find my settings. I'm BEYOND frustrated with Adobe. Every update seems to bring on new reasons why I have to spend 1/2 my day trying to get my programs back to the way I need to use them.

• 1. Re: After Effects 2014.0.1 CC update - BEWARE
          M9_MHM Level 1

ARGH. I'm having the exact same problem on OS X 10.9.4. Incredibly frustrating.

• 2. Re: After Effects 2014.0.1 CC update - BEWARE
            MechanicalWhispers Level 1

Yep. I'm on Windows 7, but rest assured that Adobe CC doesn't discriminate against operating systems when it comes to poor performance.

BTW, here is the message I'm getting when I try to sync my settings in AE:

"Authentication failed. Check network connection, Adobe ID, and password. Please try again."

I've signed OUT in After Effects (Help menu), and then signed back IN. CC shows I'm signed in, and shows my user ID. Still getting the error. Nice update, Adobe.

• 3. Re: After Effects 2014.0.1 CC update - BEWARE
              Matthew Sorrels Level 1

Same thing here on Win 7 as well.  Lost all my After Effect settings and I can't sync anything, keep getting the Authenication failed error.  My password and account work on the website so that's not it, I even tried rebooting.  I'd recommend not upgrading.  This release is not ready for prime time.

• 4. Re: After Effects 2014.0.1 CC update - BEWARE
                Aerobotnik Level 1

Same issue, Win 7 64bit. Other CC software appears to be syncing just fine.

• 5. Re: After Effects 2014.0.1 CC update - BEWARE
                  Creative FX Studios

Hello, I had the same problem on my Mac Pro. Where all my workspaces just disappeared.

But I managed to restore my workspaces by retrieving my workspaces from

• (Mac OS) [drive]/Users/[user_name]/Library/Preferences/Adobe/After Effects/13.0/ModifiedWorkspaces

And I copied and pasted it to the corresponding folder in:-

• (Mac OS) [drive]/Users/[user_name]/Library/Preferences/Adobe/After Effects/13.1/ModifiedWorkspaces

As the new and old settings are not deleted from the Preferences folder.

Hope this helps

Cheers!!

Augustine

Malaysia

• 6. Re: After Effects 2014.0.1 CC update - BEWARE
                    Matthew Sorrels Level 1

On Windows you can copy the 13.0 preferences folder to 13.0.1 if you go in and rename all the individual files that have 13.0 in the path to 13.0.1. 

So delete the 13.0.1 directory that was made when you started the new AE.  Then copy the old 13.0 directory to 13.0.1 

%APPDATA%\Adobe\After Effects\13.0 becomes %APPDATA%\Adobe\After Effects\13.0.1 then you need to rename the following files:

Adobe After Effects 13.0 Win en_US Shortcuts.txt

Adobe After Effects 13.0 Prefs-paint.txt

Adobe After Effects 13.0 Prefs-text.txt

Adobe After Effects 13.0 Prefs-indep-composition.txt

Adobe After Effects 13.0 Prefs-indep-output.txt

Adobe After Effects 13.0 Prefs-indep-render.txt

Adobe After Effects 13.0 Prefs-indep-general.txt

Adobe After Effects 13.0 Prefs.txt

Adobe After Effects 13.0 MC Prefs

rename to

Adobe After Effects 13.0.1 Win en_US Shortcuts.txt

Adobe After Effects 13.0.1 Prefs-paint.txt

Adobe After Effects 13.0.1 Prefs-text.txt

Adobe After Effects 13.0.1 Prefs-indep-composition.txt

Adobe After Effects 13.0.1 Prefs-indep-output.txt

Adobe After Effects 13.0.1 Prefs-indep-render.txt

Adobe After Effects 13.0.1 Prefs-indep-general.txt

Adobe After Effects 13.0.1 Prefs.txt

Adobe After Effects 13.0.1 MC Prefs

Seems to work OK, has all my templates and license keys for scripts and my old preferences.

• 7. Re: After Effects 2014.0.1 CC update - BEWARE
                      Tim Kurkoski Adobe Employee

Hi guys - thanks for posting about this and apologies for the problem. We have verified this bug and are in the process of pulling the update so we can post a replacement that does not suffer this problem. Since it is night where the After Effects team is, this won't likely be complete until tomorrow.

In the meantime, please DO NOT install the After Effects 2014.0.1 (13.0.1) update if you have not already. If you have, you can copy your preferences files manually from the 13.0 folder to 13.0.1 folder. Matthew Sorrels and Creative FX Studios have listed the paths for Windows and Mac OS in their posts above. However, Sync Settings will not work until we issue a replacement update, and note that when we fix this issue your preferences in the 13.0.1 folder won't likely be copied back.

Uninstalling After Effects CC 2014 and reinstalling may also work to restore you to a non-updated version. I say "may" because I have observed that the Creative Cloud desktop application sometimes automatically installs updates when you install the main application. I am seeking clarification on this point.

Again, our apologies about this. Our faces are red from contact with our palms.

EDIT: I've started a separate thread advising not to install the update, to increase visibility:

https://forums.adobe.com/message/6599458#6599458

• 8. Re: After Effects 2014.0.1 CC update - BEWARE
                        V-Sahib

Hi,

After Effects 2014.0.1 (13.0.1) update very badly because I can't use sync workspace.

I'd like to know next update time?

Thanks.

• 9. Re: After Effects 2014.0.1 CC update - BEWARE
                          Bill_Phillips

Incredibly annoying! How could Adobe overlook something like that?

• 10. Re: After Effects 2014.0.1 CC update - BEWARE

V-Sahib wrote:

Hi,

After Effects 2014.0.1 (13.0.1) update very badly because I can't use sync workspace.

I'd like to know next update time?

Thanks.

I don't have a schedule to share with you. We are working on it right now. You can uninstall and reinstall After Effects CC 2014 and stop the update from applying, as I describe in this forum thread:

https://forums.adobe.com/message/6599458#6599458

Bill_Phillips wrote:

Incredibly annoying! How could Adobe overlook something like that?

Yes, it is annoying. For you, and for us. We would rather be spending our time on improving After Effects than cleaning up our own messes.

We've found the root cause; the failure was not actually in the code of the update, but an unintended consequence of a behind-the-curtain code change we made in After Effects CC 2014 (13.0). The problem only manifested once an update was applied. We should have 1) realized this at the time we made the code change, and 2) we should have caught this before releasing the update.

• 11. Re: After Effects 2014.0.1 CC update - BEWARE
                              Takasaurus

In addition, all my "recent projects" have disappeared.  Not that big a deal but just wanted to notify you.

• 12. Re: After Effects 2014.0.1 CC update - BEWARE

Takasaurus wrote:

In addition, all my "recent projects" have disappeared.  Not that big a deal but just wanted to notify you.

Those are stored as part of the preferences, so this is expected. Sorry about that.

• 13. Re: After Effects 2014.0.1 CC update - BEWARE
                                  Bill_Phillips Level 1

Thanks Augustine, that was very helpful.

• 14. Re: After Effects 2014.0.1 CC update - BEWARE
                                    jnicklo Level 1

Once I was able to un-hide the Library folder in the /Users directory, this worked perfectly! Thank you.

• 15. Re: After Effects 2014.0.1 CC update - BEWARE
                                      Aris Zagklis Level 1

Same problem here...on windows 7... actually bridge as well keeps crashing everytime i change folder with lot of graphics...

Come on adobe..this is why you put out updates. to solve problems not to create new problems...are we going to get discount each time you deliver a buggy version???? or simple apologizes?

In this case maybe next time, if don't have to pay the next month i will just apologize to you for not getting your money. right?

• 16. Re: After Effects 2014.0.1 CC update - BEWARE
                                        Tim Boknecht Level 1

The point is THIS HAPPENS EVERY TIME!!!!  Why is it so freaking difficult for you guys to DO YOUR DUE DILIGENCE before unleashing an update? I waited weeks to install this update just so you had time to get your act together.

STILL. A. FAIL.

Why am I surprised every time?  My bad, right?  I should just expect incompetence from the industry leader, right?

• 17. Re: After Effects 2014.0.1 CC update - BEWARE
                                          Tim Boknecht Level 1

Point is we shouldn't have to worry about this stuff. We should be busy making content.

• 18. Re: After Effects 2014.0.1 CC update - BEWARE
                                            Mundania Level 1

Yep, just upgraded my After Effects CC2014 to the 13.2.0.49 release, wiped everything.  Was wondering when I started it it was asking if I wanted to migrate everything from my previous version (i.e. my out of CC version)

SO ANNOYING AND UNPROFESSIONAL ADOBE!

• 19. Re: After Effects 2014.0.1 CC update - BEWARE
                                              Ziji Man Level 1

Not even a week ago I had an Adobe rep trying to convince me to do the upgrade just to get the "brush" option -- which was an easy fix to go around and saved me from losing my work. The guy couldn't believe that I avoided the cloud option because......thinking for yourself and using your brain isn't what customers are supposed to be doing! Just do the upgrade and sign up to the cloud!!! lol

In the cloud, anyone and everyone has access to all your work. Don't fall for the "cloud is safe" line anymore than you fall for the "Adobe upgrade" line, it's anything but safe and anything but an upgrade.

Learn to read between the lines folks or companies will just railroad you.

• 20. Re: After Effects 2014.0.1 CC update - BEWARE
                                                Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Ziji Man wrote:

In the cloud, anyone and everyone has access to all your work. Don't fall for the "cloud is safe" line anymore than you fall for the "Adobe upgrade" line, it's anything but safe and anything but an upgrade.

I have no problem with people deciding to stay out of the Creative Cloud because they don't like to have to keep paying for software for it to work.

However, I don't want people staying away from the Creative Cloud for misinformation.

You don't put your work in the cloud if you don't want to. It still stays on your local hard drive (or network drive or whatever you use) like older versions. You can upload stuff to an Adobe Cloud account for ease of sharing or if you work on multiple machines, but it's not a requirement. It's not even the main selling point. Your stuff is just as secure as it was before UNLESS you put your projects in the cloud. (And even then not everyone has access to it, only determined hackers could get to it. That is a very narrow subset of humanity.)