2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 30, 2014 6:07 PM by lumsdang

Lightroom 5.5 metadata corruption problem

lumsdang Level 1

I've posted their problem in a couple of other Lightroom discussion forums but there has so far been no acknowledgment by Adobe. Since the update to LR 5.5, Lightroom appears to write metadata in a different order when exporting to JPEG, which is causing problems with many image management systems.

I manage several image libraries via the Third Light IMS, and rely heavily on keyword and other metadata search functions for image searches. Since the 5.5 update, the Third Light software cannot 'see' vital keywords or any other metadata. Nothing has been stripped from the images in my LR catalogues and Adobe Bridge can still see all the info embedded in the files, but it seems that no other non-Adobe software can access XMP or other info.

What has been changed, and when will this be fixed? Any files I have uploaded since upgrading to 5.5 are completely useless without their creator info, copyright, subject  or caption info, and in effect are just pretty pictures with no search handles.

I'm very keen to hear from other image library managers or anyone else who has experienced this problem. I've tried exporting from my original files (a combination of NEF, DNG and JPEG) via many different export methods, all with the same results. This is a major issue, and I haven't yet found a workaround. Adobe, please help!

• 1. Re: Lightroom 5.5 metadata corruption problem
          johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

I haven't seen any other reports in this forum or the official Adobe feedback forum (http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/products/photoshop_family_photoshop_lightro om) about general incompatibilities between LR 5.5-written metadata and other programs.   Over the years, some incompatibilities have arisen, but they've generally not the fault of LR (that is, LR strictly adheres to industry standards). 

Besides Third Light IMS, are there other programs you've observed not being able to read LR-written metadata?

Suggestion: Perhaps you could upload a sample problem pic to Dropbox (or similar) and post the link here. Then those of us experienced with LR metadata could take a look and test it out with other non-Adobe programs and perhaps narrow down the issue.

You could also try posting in the official Adobe feedback forum, which Adobe employees do read, though without more specific details about the incompatibility, I think it's unlikely Adobe will take any action.

• 2. Re: Lightroom 5.5 metadata corruption problem
            lumsdang Level 1

Thanks John, that's good advice and I'd really appreciate someone experienced comparing the metadata. I'll post two identical shots exported from 5.4 and 5.5 respectively.

Cheers, Tim