13 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2014 7:28 AM by A.T. Romano

gopro + sony = ?

andreashallgren

Hey,

I've notice a problem that I can't find a solution to. ( I'm not a genius)

I've been filming with my gopro and with a sony camera.

How do I get the final edit in the same frame size?

• 1. Re: gopro + sony = ?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

andreashallgren

What version of Premiere Elements do you have and on what computer operating system is it running?

For the moment I will assume that you have either Premiere Elements 11 or 12 on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit.

When you import your file into the project, the program is supposed to set the "project preset" based on the properties of the first drag

to the Expert workspace Timeline. That project preset description includes "frame size". If the project does not set the project preset

correctly automatically, then you set it yourself manually. The procedure for that is found in the How To in the following.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE11: Accuracy of Automatic Project Preset (New Project Dialog) Setting

Key to the above is knowing what the properties of your video are. Do you know them?

Frame Size

Frame Rate

Interlaced or Progressive

File Extension

Video and Audio Compression

Pixel Aspect Ratio

The program allows for only one project preset. So, if you have a "mixed Timeline", then you need to set priorities and fit the second video accordingly.

You can do that by scaling the 2nd video to fill the space in the Edit area monitor which was determined by the setting of the project preset.

If you give the properties of the two videos involved, I will suggest a workflow. Please indicate what your intended export will be.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: gopro + sony = ?
            andreashallgren Level 1

Hi thanks for the help.

I'm using elements 12. and Windows 8,1 64

and my gopro shooting is in 1280x720 and from my sony nex 6 it is 1920x1080

So in my edit it's 2 black strips on the both sides on the shoots using gopro.

I've been using time laps shooting from my gopro as well i fix them to the proper size in lightroom,

• 3. Re: gopro + sony = ?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

andreashallgren

For now I will assume that you are in a PAL setup...if not then just use the NTSC counterpart or ask for more details on the suggested How To.

Premiere Elements 12/12.1 on Window 8.1, besides the PAL setup, I will assume that the frame rate is 25 progressive frames per second.....

Set the project preset manually to accommodate the 1920 x 1080 16:9 frame size...

1. Open the program to the Expert workspace, File Menu/New/Project and Change Settings.

2. In Change Setting, select the project preset

PAL

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p25

That choice will provide for a 1920 x 1080 16:9 space in the Edit area monitor from which to edit.

Before leaving that area, be sure to have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project" in the new project dialog.

3. Back in the Expert workspace, Edit Menu/Preferences/General, use a check mark next to "Default Scale to Frame Size".

Then import your 1920 x 1080 16:9 into the project with the project's Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets from

where you drag the file to the Timeline. Then import the 1280 x 720 16:9.

4. What do you seeing at that phase with regard to video fits in the Edit area monitor?

There are several assumptions made about NTSC and PAL and frame rate. Details can be fine tuned with more details.

Please review and consider and then tell us of your progress. Any questions or need clarification, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: gopro + sony = ?
                andreashallgren Level 1

awesome,

I've been doing your steps, but i still have black strips om both sides of my gopro shoots. I have the version from the Swedish adobe. If I open the shoots in a normal video player it's the same black strips.

It looks stupid in the movie when it changes size.

Do i need to film in a different mode on my gopro,?

• 5. Re: gopro + sony = ?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

andreashallgren

Edit Menu/Preferences/General with check mark next to Default Scale to Frame Size

If you have 1280 x 720 GoPro video and you open it first in Premiere Elements with a 1280 x 720 project preset, then you should see no black borders in the Edit area monitor when you view that 1280 x 720 video in the Edit area monitor 1280 x 720 space there established by your setting of the project preset. If you have the Edit Menu/Preferences/General with a check mark next to Default Scale to Frame Size, then when you import the Sony 1920 x 1080 into that project, the 1920 x 1080 will be automatically scaled by the program to fit the 1280 x 720 monitor space which was established by the setting of the 1280 x 720 project preset.

On the other hand, if you have 1920 x 1080 video and you open it first in Premiere Elements with a 1920 x 1080 project preset, then you should see no black borders in the Edit area monitor when you view that 1920 x 1080 video in the Edit area monitor space there established by your setting of the project preset. If you have Edit Menu/Preferences/General with a check mark next to Default Scale to Frame Size, then when you import the GoPro 1280 x 720 into that project, the 1280 x 720 will be automatically scale by the program to fit the 1920 x 1080 monitor space which was established by the setting of the 1920 x 1080 project preset.

Are you doing all that and setting getting black borders in the Edit area monitor no matter what you do?

If that is the case, please go back and verify the GoPro and Sony camera settings as well as the Premiere Elements project settings.

We will be watching for your progress.

Thank you.

ATR

• 7. Re: gopro + sony = ?
                    andreashallgren Level 1

Sorry for having it in Swedish but i think you could guess what it means.

• 8. Re: gopro + sony = ?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

andreashallgren

I do not have all the "whys" yet, but this is what I would like you to do go over again.

1. Open a new project to its Expert workspace and set the project preset manually to PAL DSLR 1080p DSLR 1080p25.

Edit Menu/Preferences/General....make sure that there is a check mark next to "Default Scale to Frame Size".

2. Import your Sony 1920 x 1080 @ 25 progressive frames per second video into the project with the Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets.

And drag the file from Project Assets to the Timeline. Right click the thumbnail for this file in Project Assets to confirm the frame size of 1920 x 1080.

This video should display in the Edit area monitor without any black borders. Right click the video on the Timeline...is there a check mark next to Scale to Frame Size (there should be because of the preference setting)

3. Next import your GoPro 1280 x 720 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second video into the project with the Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets.

And drag the file from Project Assets to the Timeline. Right click the thumbnail for this file in Project Assets to confirm the frame size of 1280 x 720.

This video should display in the Edit area monitor without any black borders. Right click the video on the Timeline...is there a check mark next to Scale to Frame Size (there should be because of the preference setting).

If a problem still exists after the checking of the above, then would you consider posting a small sample of each video here in a Dropbox link in a reply?

We will be watching for your results.

Thank you for the screenshots which should not be displaying as they do.

ATR

• 10. Re: gopro + sony = ?
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

andreashallgren

Just completed downloads and about to take a look at your files.

Thanks for the sendings. They will expedite the path to issue resolution

ATR

• 11. Re: gopro + sony = ?
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

andreashallgren

Your GoPro sample is not 1280 x 720 16:9 but rather 1280 x 960 4:3 (the format with the fisheye effect). If this file is representative of the problem of black borders with this video in your 1920 x 1080 project, then the 4:3 video in the 16:9 project is the problem. Unless you want to re-shoot your footage as 1280 x 720, then please read the following.

To use that GoPro sample in your 1920 x 1080 project, I would suggest the following which are the post 3 instructions modified for the latest information

Set the project preset manually to accommodate the 1920 x 1080 16:9 frame size.....Note: Your Sony video is 1080i25, not 1080p25

1. Open the program to the Expert workspace, File Menu/New/Project and Change Settings.

2. In Change Setting, select the project preset

PAL

AVCHD

Full HD1080i25

That choice will provide for a 1920 x 1080 16:9 space in the Edit area monitor from which to edit.

Before leaving that area, be sure to have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project" in the new project dialog.

3. Back in the Expert workspace, Edit Menu/Preferences/General, use a check mark next to "Default Scale to Frame Size".

Then import your 1920 x 1080 16:9 into the project with the project's Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets from

where you drag the file to the Timeline. Then import the 1280 x 960 4:3 and drag it to the Timeline.

4. Move the Timeline Indicator to the GoPro video. Select the GoPro video that is displaying in the Edit area monitor and click on its screen image to bring up the image's bounding box. Click and drag on one of the handles of the bounding box to scale the image so that it just fills the 1920 x 1080 space provided in the monitor by the 1920 x 1080 project preset.

5. Render the Timeline content.

What did you intend to record - 1280 x 720 16:9 or 1280 x 960 4:3?

Please review and then let us know the outcome.

Thank you.

ATR

• 12. Re: gopro + sony = ?
                            andreashallgren Level 1

thank you for the help!, I had no intention, I have never filmed with different cameras so I din't think it should be different.

Im going to change the settings in the cameras to next time.

And for now i can fix it so it works

• 13. Re: gopro + sony = ?
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

andreashallgen

Thanks for the follow up.

Besides the aspect ratio 4:3 versus 16:9 aspect ratio consideration of the GoPro footage, there is the "fisheye" look of the GoPro 1280 x 960 that you need to decide whether you want. Premiere Elements can not correct that lens distorted look. There is 3rd party software for that before you import the 1280 x 960 into Premiere Elements if you do not want that look. The following might work for that purpose.

How Can I Remove the Distortion (Fisheye) Effect in GoPro Studio?

Glad for the good news that you can move forward with your project with the Sony and GoPro footage in that same project.

Best wishes

ATR