18 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2014 12:57 PM by Bill Gehrke

Asus G550JK Laptop Questions

Andrei in Montreal

Hi,

I've been considering seriously whether I need a laptop and the answer is yes. I haven't updated my laptop in ages since the core duo era so I want to run this by you because I have no relative experience compared with the outdated system. I'll use this mainly for Photoshop and Lightroom but I expect to shoot short films either in the (Nikon's encoded) 1080p format or by recording with an Atomos device 10 bit uncompressed.

I am considering this laptop: Asus G550JK. I want a 15" since it's a good screen size/weight ratio for me. I chose ASUS because it was recommended by many as highly reliable.

• 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7-4710HQ (Haswell)
      • 8GB of DDR3L RAM (only 1 ram stick of 8GB 1600Mhz installed according to multiple internet sources, supports up to 16GB)
      • 750GB 7200 rpm Hard Drive
      • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M Graphics (2GB) (DDR3...)
      • 15.6" Matte Full HD Display (IPS, LED)
      • 1920 x 1080 Native Resolution
      • SuperMulti DVD Burner
      • 802.11ac Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.0
      • Built-in Webcam, Mic, & Speakers
      • Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

My questions:

1) How will this one hold for editing 1080p and 10bit uncompressed? Some BH staff suggested it would run smoothly 2-3 HD streams in Premiere 5.5 and he said that editing 10 bit uncompressed is easier on the system than the DSLR footage since h264 encoding does something funny. For my regular use, Photoshop and Lightroom, I personally expect it to run very well - am I wrong to assume that?

2) What should another 8GB of ram bring to performance? I saw Harm's suggestion for 16GB. Another stick of 8GB is about 70-90 bucks - affordable imo.

3) Is it worth it to invest in an SSD for a system/applications designated drive? I use virtual drives if I (ever) need an application that requires a disc. Removing the optical drive to create a secondary hard drive bay wouldn't affect me. If you think SSD would be a dramatic change, what would improve and by how much?

I am under the impression that this is a very good bang for the buck, laptop wise, which begs an extra question. Also, if you could comment on how balanced this system is.

*** Do you know of any other laptop system that would give more for the money?

Thank you for those taking the time to answer.

Andrei

• 1. Re: Asus G550JK Laptop Questions
          Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

For uncompressed HD video and Premiere you would have to have at least two SSD drives, one for the OS and one for the media.  The G550 only has one drive, you really need to be looking at the ASUS G750 series that can have two drives and plan on upgrading those models like i have done to a G750JW.  Unfortunately you missed the recent sales of the G750JW model refurbished by ASUS for less than $900 to which I added memory and two great SSD drives.

Of course there is one Super laptop, the MSI GT72 Dominator Pro for a mere $2900, or a little brother for only $2500

• 2. Re: Asus G550JK Laptop Questions
            Andrei in Montreal Level 1

Bill Gehrke, after reading a bunch of posts I conclude that the system is powerful enough to edit and that the only problem is the read speed on the drives, like you suggest in the previous post. Please correct me if I didn't understand properly .

I read that technically you can fit two SSDs in the G550 if you remove the optical drive. Am I missing something? I don't need my optical drive . Besides,12min = 4GB; 333mb per min accordingly to Atomos. That should work with HDD.

The G750 series seem rather heavy/bulky at 5kg. Yet, I might compromise with this 3.5kg slim N750JK. My only slight concern is how good is the monitor? Looking at specifications, I see that it is the same as your G750JW Bill Gehrke . It is an LED backlit FHD EWV non-glare LCD panel. The EWV stands for a 150 angle of view. The smaller ones like N550 and G550 get 178 degrees IPS - 150 is good enough for me.

What's your experience with the screen? How's the color accuracy? Did you take it outside in daylight?

I don't want to make this an editing rocket - my bad I didn't mention this properly. I will build an ATX monster a bit later. I want this laptop to be a good photography laptop that I can take outside in the field with editing capabilities if ever needed.

Andrei

• 3. Re: Asus G550JK Laptop Questions

Dol you have any editing software already or what are you thinking of using?

I have never taken this out in the sunlight, I will tomorrow.  But remember there is no practical video editing without AC power.

Putting an SSD in the Optical drive slot is defeating the performance of the SSD

• 4. Re: Asus G550JK Laptop Questions

Adobe Premiere CS5.5.

Using the screen outdoors would be more photography related for field work. Editing would be done indoors most likely - ac bound.

I bet you've seen nice IPS screens. How nice and accurate is this screen?

Andrei

PS: I'll see if I can find these ASUS models on display, or something similar, and I'll try to run PPBM6 on them so we can talk numbers. I'll keep you posted.

• 5. Re: Asus G550JK Laptop Questions

Andrei

Sorry, but I was busy all day so I did not get it outside.

As far as editing AVCHD your G5500JS is better than my laptop which works great with my three camera AVCHD wedding shoot  because it is a newer slight better CPU.  You might have to add some memory, it only has 8 GB of RAM.

Putting an SSD drive on the Optical drive port is useless as it is only a SATA II port, I tried it and it was a useless exercise.  For uncompressed HD video you need 200-300 MB/second transfer rates.

• 6. Re: Asus G550JK Laptop Questions

Hey Bill no worries.

I found a G750 like yours today in a store; 16GB ram never passed over 7GB in my tests. I borrowed it for a few days (good return policies) this thing flies. Did you ever try yours with cine footage like RED? The screen looks decent - thought the IPS are a tad sweeter for my eyes . A few questions ...

1) What if I tried to edit uncompressed HD using 100mbs per second rates? Wouldn't the RAM kick in to buffer the footage?

2) Would a raid 0 work with a couple of external drives via USB 3.0? Is that possible on a laptop? The concept of raid is new to me - I need to do my homework on this. Or with those PNY 190mbs sticks ? Saw your other post on those sticks. I tried my media external WB Passport (2TB) on the USB 3.0 ports of the G750JK. I got 120mbs read speeds. [Update: I found this post so it seems that it's possible - is the usb link a transfer limit?]

3) Do you know what an SSD would max out in read speeds with USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt? [Update: found an answer -270mbs link]

4) If I just need 200-300 mbs read speeds, couldn't I pull the job with just one 500 mbs read speed SSD like this one? Would the Windows and Premiere use more than 200mbs?

Andrei

PS: I tried to run your benchmark tests for CS5.5 and CS6 (trial versions with the correct tests). I got this: "This project contained a sequence that could not be opened. No sequence preview preset file or codec could be associtated with this sequence type ." 5) You know what's going on? When it comes to codecs and Premiere, I have to study some more. Also when I opened for a new project it looked like I missed some options. Before I had this AVCHD menu - it was gone in this new install. I suppose there are some addons or something? Or I need to install QuickTime?

• 7. Re: Asus G550JK Laptop Questions

Hey Bill Gehrke, what if I put the OS drive on the optical drive Sata II on a 240GB SSD, and then I use the SATA III for a media drive with a 1TB SSD? Does the OS and the running programs require 500MB/s ? I gather from this Tom's Hardware test that SATA II with an SSD should be plenty for Windows and Premiere.

So, it looks to me like a G550JK configured like that should work in theory for uncompressed HD. For the questions above, I found answers more or less except for that benchmark test issue at 5 - I could still use your input if you have time to answer briefly.

Thank,

Andrei

• 8. Re: Asus G550JK Laptop Questions

I will try to get back to you tomorrow but most of recent time is been seeing doctors, including tomorrow, it is hell getting older.

Take a look at this tremendous bargain ($370) if you are going for a 500 GB SSD as it is the fastest read and write drive available.  Your Crucial M500 is an older model they have a M550 which is better but not as good on write speed performance as the Samsung 840 Pro SSD.

I just ran a test with out newer PPBM6/7/8 test and the Disk test I/O test which is a write test direct from Premiere

Samsung 840 Pro =  537 MB/s

Crucial M550 = 436 MB/s

See you tomorrow

• 9. Re: Asus G550JK Laptop Questions

Looks like those are pretty regular B&H prices now: Samsung 840 pro and Crucial M550. I thought Samsung was more expensive, but the difference is not huge imo. The 840 Evo series are priced the same as the M550. I'm confused as to what is reliable. The horror stories in reviews indicate that all could fail.

Andrei

• 10. Re: Asus G550JK Laptop Questions
                            ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

The Samsung Pro series doesn't have a 1TB model. The Crucial M550 does and is far better than the EVO drive. The M550 series are testing well beyond their rated endurance so far which is a good sign for the MLC with the drive. The price range on the M550 is also cheaper than the Pro. So there is that element as well. BTW Bill which size M550 did you test? The 1TB drives in Raid 0 average over 1GB/s sec for both read and write.

Eric

ADK

• 11. Re: Asus G550JK Laptop Questions

Eric, I ran the tests on 256 GB models.

Maybe with several new Samsung models coming on line they are making room pricewise

• 12. Re: Asus G550JK Laptop Questions

Andrei in Montreal wrote:

0)  Did you ever try yours with cine footage like RED?

1) What if I tried to edit uncompressed HD using 100mbs per second rates? Wouldn't the RAM kick in to buffer the footage?

2) Would a raid 0 work with a couple of external drives via USB 3.0? Is that possible on a laptop? The concept of raid is new to me - I need to do my homework on this. Or with those PNY 190mbs sticks ? Saw your other post on those sticks. I tried my media external WB Passport (2TB) on the USB 3.0 ports of the G750JK. I got 120mbs read speeds. [Update: I found this post so it seems that it's possible - is the usb link a transfer limit?]

3) Do you know what an SSD would max out in read speeds with USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt? [Update: found an answer -270mbs link]

4) If I just need 200-300 mbs read speeds, couldn't I pull the job with just one 500 mbs read speed SSD like this one? Would the Windows and Premiere use more than 200mbs?

Andrei

PS: I tried to run your benchmark tests for CS5.5 and CS6 (trial versions with the correct tests). I got this: "This project contained a sequence that could not be opened. No sequence preview preset file or codec could be associtated with this sequence type ." 5) You know what's going on? When it comes to codecs and Premiere, I have to study some more. Also when I opened for a new project it looked like I missed some options. Before I had this AVCHD menu - it was gone in this new install. I suppose there are some addons or something? Or I need to install QuickTime?

00. Frist lets straighten out your nomenclature a single small "b" is used for bits where a uppercase "B" is bytes 

0. Our recent benchmarks (On PPBM7.COM) have a .R3D file that is used three times in a 7-layer timeline

1. No, I believe RAM will buffer a small chuck of the data but you still need to read that 100 MBs read continuously.  And where are you getting any video that is uncompressed at only 100 megabytes/sec.
                                2. There is no advantage using RAID 0 on a USB3 port.  Here is my result of using a highly rated USB3 to SATA enclosure from Vantec, the Nexstar 6G with one of my Samsung 840 PRO SSD'sVantec-USB3-read.jpg
                                3. Jim Short in this forum thread says yes one good high speed SSD can hold the OS/Apps/Project files.  I have not tried it yet my self but it sure sounds logical but when you throw in uncompressed data it requires some experimentation so there are no guarantees.  Especially in a laptop which may or may not have adequate cooling handle all the heat produced.
                                4. Do not get a Crucial M500 as Eric said go at least with the Crucial M550 or my favorite the Samsung 840 PRO.
                                5. I do not know what is happening with PPBM and your results, I will think about it

Good Luck!

• 13. Re: Asus G550JK Laptop Questions

Bill Gehrke for 1) I mean, what if the video was uncompressed (rates bigger than 150MB/s) and there was a bottleneck of 100MB/s from the HDD? Bad explanation initially.

If nothing else the Samsungs seem to consume less power than Crucials, according to this chart. I'm leaning towards 840 pro for now.

Thanks guys for all the input. I've taken a decision: I'll most likely go with G550JK. I'm thinking this as a buy for the need purchase and photography has at least 95% weight in this. It's fast enough and it has a high gamut IPS display - 93% sRGB from what I read. Other 15" models with 2 SATAIII, like MSI GS60, are too pricey and, with a 3k or 4k IPS display, are bordering the ridiculous. I can get a G550 and an editing tower for those high end prices (3000$ or so). A larger laptop means more weight for similar power, with a cheaper display for the guaranteed ability to edit uncompressed - not cool with my main needs. Besides, I think I can make this work on the G550. And since it's not a big deal to trade uncompressed HD for this light 15" machine,  I'll take the risk.

For general use/photography/avchd I'll set it with a 250GB SSD for the OS/programs on the SATA III and I'll load the 750GB HDD in the optical bay. For uncompressed HD editing, if ever the case, if 1 SSD is not enough I'll try this: I will load the OS 250GB SSD in the optical bay and I will buy a 2nd media SSD (500GB or 1TB) that would go with the SATAIII connection to make sure I wouldn't bottle neck with read speeds. I didn't research too much the data flow but I suppose all that goes to the CPU so nothing should be bottlenecked - unless the OS and Premiere would be limited by the optical bay connection. If the optical bay would be a bottleneck, I could try additionally to run Premiere through an USB 3.0 port to get more bandwidth [that would give roughly 250MB/s for the OS and at least 120MB/s for Premiere if not more with something like that PNY usb stick]. If all this fails - Monster ATX. I'll definitely come back with results when I'll have them.

If I don't try I'll never know.

Andrei

• 14. Re: Asus G550JK Laptop Questions
                                    ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

1 SSD is Crucial M550 or Samsung Pro drive can handle 1080 uncompressed with most frame rates. Really only 60 frame might push beyond the drive capability. If the drive cannot maintain the data rate for reading or writing uncompressed then the realtime playback or acquisition will drop frames. Premiere does allow for some room on this for realtime playback with caching.

Eric

ADK

• 15. Re: Asus G550JK Laptop Questions

Based on IOPS and benchmark tests I was leaning towards 840 Pro. I've been reading lately some horror stories that Samsung does not recognize SSD as a product in Canada and that RMA in case of failure is a nightmare.

Any other SSDs that perform at the level of 840 Pro?

Update: I read that Plextor M5 Pro is a reliable alternative that is much more consistent and it holds well in time. Anybody? link to product . Also just found that 840 does not support Sata II which I might have to do sometimes, while Plextor does link to comparison.

Andrei

• 16. Re: Asus G550JK Laptop Questions

Andrei in Montreal wrote:

Also just found that 840 does not support Sata II which I might have to do sometimes, while Plextor does link to comparison.

Andrei

That definitely is not true as I installed it on my ASUS G750 in the optical bay and found out the hard way the while it works on a SATA II port it just handicaps the SSD for lousy performance just as it would with any SSD on a SATA II port.

Have you also explored the MSI Gaming line of laptops.  I think they have some 15" units with the newer m.2 interface for storage.

• 17. Re: Asus G550JK Laptop Questions

Thanks Bill. Just talked with Samsung SSD and it looks like I'm covered in Canada through USA so that's fine by me. They have a new model 850 pro with 10 years warranty so that looks nice. Similar prices as 840 pro. I suppose we should expect to see the likes of 840 pro to drop in price even more.

I've been checking more laptops. One contender is MSI GS60 pro. My only issue is that with a GS60 I'd have to dish out 1000$ more to get an IPS screen - only found in the 3k version. With having to purchase 8GB ram, ssd, drive caddy for G550JK, the difference is more at 650$ yet, I'm not sure if MSI is worth it for me.

How important is GPU in editing work? It comes in handy for rendering mostly right? The MSI has 870M which is almost twice as powerful compared with 850M.

Andrei

• 18. Re: Asus G550JK Laptop Questions

I have not seen any Premiere benchmarks on any of the GTX 800M series but you will not generally see much difference.  My laptop has a GTX 765M which is maybe a little better than the GTX 850M but not much.  It is the best scoring laptop on our latest PPBM testing.  When you get your laptop get a GPU overclocking tool (I use EVGA's Precision X) and overclock the memory on the GPU.  If you monitor the temperature under load, it is perfectly safe.  Laptop designers slow down the clock speed to be able to brag about battery life.  I am running this GPU at 150% of the original memory speed and it is running very cool even with 100% GPU  load.

Yes, the GPU eliminates about 98% of the need to render for me.  I cannot remember the last time I rendered a timeline.  The GPU also significantly assists in exporting.  In the extreme case of our PPBM MPEG2-DVD timeline it can provide a gain ranging from ~10 times up to ~35 times faster than just using the software MPE option.  On our H.264 timeline with CC 2014 on my workhorse older desktop the CPU only timeline takes 900 seconds to export, with the two GPU's that I currently have in there it takes a mere 76 seconds to export.  Much of this GPU acceleration improvement is due the major improvements in CC2104 that Adobe has made in Premiere 8 in it handling of 4K media.

I am glad that you verified Samsung's support.  I probably will not acquire an 850 for evaluation as I am waiting on the availability of the newer, faster NVMe technology SSD's.  Funds here are also very limited so I have to prioritize.