This is a known issue in Flash CC and happens due to certain incompatible characters in your Symbol names in the library.
Check this for more info and a solution for this:
Thanks for taking the time to respond Nipun. We've already been looking at this as a potential problem. Some of the symbols do indeed exhibit naming like that outlined in the post you have linked, but some do not and are still empty; e.g. symbols with simple naming that contain only simple shapes or groups and no other symbols. As stated above, all developers/designers are using CC now, so this has not been opened in CS6 for some time; long before this problem arose.
still happening in 2017, in a file with no special characters in symbol names.
Can you provide us with more details about your issue? Would it be possible to share your file with us for investigation?
sure. One day I worked on a file, compiled it, saved it, came back the next day and though the SWF was fine, 3 of the symbols were empty. No special characters in any symbol names. I only used animate CC 2015, not CS6.
How do I share files with you?
Upload your files to a sharing site such a dropbox and share the URL with me over a private message. Click my picture and use the Message button to send a private message. I will share your file with the support team for investigation.
1 person found this helpful
I'm sorry, I apparently re-copied the symbols and saved over the problematic file. tbh I didn't really think you would respond. I've tried to reproduce it with no success.
a few more details:
- An artist sent me a file with symbols in it, this file may have been worked on in CS6, the artist doesn't remember. None of the symbols had characters in their names other than alphanumeric characters and underscore.
- I opened the file in CC, and copied the symbols into my master file (which has contributions from more than one artist).
- I published my master file to SWC, and included the SWC in a FlashDevelop project, compiled that project, uploaded the resultant SWF to our website, everything's fine.
- Saved and closed master FLA, committed to our SVN repository. Didn't notice at that time if the symbols were empty or not.
- Came back the next day and found 3 symbols empty in the FLA.
This is not the first time I've seen symbols do this - next time it happens I'll save a copy of the corrupted file for analysis.
Thanks for your efforts.