1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 31, 2014 10:08 AM by Rick Gerard

Help with Expressions and Pickwhip

Peter Braswell

I'm using the beam effect and parenting the beginning to text and the end to a null object.  I've noticed that it does not line up with the center of the object, but rather the bottom left corner of the parent.  I'm hoping to adjust this with a simple addition or subtraction of pixels following the pickwhip expression in the expression text.  So, I've attempted to put in both X and Y adjustments, but it does not like that.  I can adjust the X axis by simply adding or subtracting a number (thisComp.layer("2-12” speakers").transform.position+200).  This moves the starting point to the right by 200 pixels.  Great, but I need to move it up and down on the Y axis.  How can I do this?  I assumed it would be: (thisComp.layer("2-12” speakers").transform.position+0, +200) but AE does not like that.

Any suggestions?  I'm hoping to just move the start of the line on the Y axis, but I can't seem to get it in a format that AE likes.

Thanks for your help.

Peter

• 1. Re: Help with Expressions and Pickwhip
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The beam should attach to the anchor point of your null unless you have parenting applied. You could simply move the anchor point.

Your syntax is wrong. An array is created with square brackets instead of parentheses. You need an array after position so it would read position + [0, 200]

The expression to attach a beam (start or end) to a null would be simply: thisComp.layer("Null 1").transform.position or even simpler thisComp.layer("Null 1").position

If there is parenting involved you need to use a layer space transformation.

L = thisComp.layer("Null 1");

L.toComp([0,0,0])

or even simpler

thisComp.layer("Null 1").toComp([0,0,0])

If these suggestions don't fix the problem then show us a screenshot with all properties revealed with the problem layers.