6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 5, 2014 10:00 AM by A.T. Romano

How to put opaque circle around moving object in sports video

Minttob

Beginning Windows user of Elements 11 and trial version of 12 needs an easy way to put an opaque circle (red) around a moving subject in a sports video.  It needs to appear for 2-3 seconds and then be gone.  I need to do this for several different clips in a 10 minute video.

I have tried track object in version 12, but it does not properly track a running athlete among other athletes and the graphics do not include a circle (that I can find).  Again, I am just a beginning user of the product and unfortunately need to get this done in the next few days.  Can anyone help, please?

• 1. Re: How to put opaque circle around moving object in sports video
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Minttob

Premiere Elements 11 or 12 on what computer operating system?

Please take a look at the How To for "Titler Shapes For Highlighting".

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE11: Titler Shapes For Highlighting

Premiere Elements 11 and 12 offer several opportunities of keyframing properties, in this case the Motion Position property.

a. At the Video Clip Rubberband level

b. In Applied Effects Tab/Applied Effects Palette/Motion Panel expanded with its Position Panel.

Essentially you are going to create your circle on the track above your video and keyframe its Motion Position property so that the position changes are in sync with the activity in the video.

After you read the blog post, please let us know what supplemental information you need to get the task done.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: How to put opaque circle around moving object in sports video
            Minttob Level 1

ATR,

I appreciate your reply very much, but I feel like I'm reading a foreign language.  I am very much a beginner and am looking for a simple, simple way to do this, does it exist?  Is there other software that is simpler?  I only want to cut video, circle a player for 1-3 seconds in about 15 clips, put them together, add music and have a video.  Isn't there something simple to do this?

• 3. Re: How to put opaque circle around moving object in sports video
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Minttob

Thanks for the reply.

Let me customize a reply in other terms.

Basically, in the Expert workspace of the program, you are going to put a file with a circle with a transparent background on Video Track 2 if you have your main video on Video 1 Track directly below.

Then you are going to change the position of the circle to follow the player of interest as the video is played back. You change the position of the circle with a feature called keyframing. This keyframing can be done in more than one way, but it needs to be done. Did none of my examples with the robots in the blog post help at all? Apparently not.

This no motion tracking feature in version 11, but there is one in version 12. But, I think that you should go with basic keyframing of the Position property of the circle file. Quicker and easier once we work with keyframing properties. All keyframing means is change the property (Position or Scale or Opacity etc of the clip over the duration of the clip.

But, I will try to rewrite if you tell me where I lose you in what needs to be done.

We want you to succeed.

ATR

• 4. Re: How to put opaque circle around moving object in sports video
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Minttob

Can you create the circle as per my instructions in the blog post? You are going to need your circle one way or another.

For now I will assume that you are OK with creating the circle and that you now have it on Video 2 directly above Video 1.

For now I am going to back off the keyframing and try for a more sure thing. If you do not like the effect to be described, then we will go back to keyframe the Position property. The major perk in what follow is no keyframing.

1. Video (game footage) on Video Track 1 and move the Timeline Indicator until you get to the frame where the player is that you want to highlight.

2. Click on the Video Track 1 Video Clip to make sure that it is selected, go to Tools Menu/Freeze Frame. Set the Freeze Frame duration = 1 second.

And, then click on Insert in Movie. The Freeze Frame will insert into the Video 1 video at the position of the Timeline Indicator.

3. Now put my Circle on Video Track 2 directly above the freeze frame insert on Video 1, position the circle around the player, and set the file duration of the circle  file to be equal to that of the freeze frame insert duration. As created, that duration of the freeze frame is 1 second. You can use the mouse cursor to drag the freeze frame and circle frame edges in or out to change its length. Just keep the length of those two files equal.

4. Render the Timeline by pressing the Enter key of the computer main keyboard.

Do that for every incidence in the game footage where you want the player circled for a second.

Please let us know if we are getting closer to what you seek.

Thank you.

ATR

• 5. Re: How to put opaque circle around moving object in sports video
                  Minttob Level 1

ATR,

this worked beautifully and I was able to finish my first highlight video with this simple technique ( thanks for breaking it down for me).  Now that I have mastered this, I'd like to know more about key framing and how to follow the subject using version 11 without motion tracking.  I did try motion tracking in a trial version of 12 and because there were so many subjects in the video it did not work well.

Thanks again for your help.

• 6. Re: How to put opaque circle around moving object in sports video
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Minttob

Great news. Great job. Glad the suggestion worked for you.

If you want to explore alternative means (involving keyframes and such) to highlight a moving object in a sports video, please check out some of my prior details on the subject in the following threads which were posted by Premiere Elements users at another forum that I no longer visit.

Making a person glow or stand out in a sports film - Page 2 - Elements Village

http://www.elementsvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68936

The details might appear overwhelming at this time. I am suggesting that you review them for overview purposes. After you have read them, I can give you some detailed simplified practice examples for you to work through.

We will be watching for your progress. It may look and sound complicated, but once you work through the details in a project, it will be easy.

Best wishes.

ATR