4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 31, 2014 10:00 PM by A.T. Romano

How to download a DVD movie into Premiere Elements 12 using my MacBook Pro so I can edit the video?

BPSCC111

How to download a DVD movie into Premiere Elements 12 using my MacBook Pro so I can edit the video?

• 1. Re: How to download a DVD movie into Premiere Elements 12 using my MacBook Pro so I can edit the video?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

BPSCC111

Are you talking about ripping (copying) the video files from a DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc (home movie) in order to edit those files in Premiere Elements 12 Mac? If otherwise, be advised that Premiere Elements does not support copyright protected source media. And, we cannot offer help for video editing of source media which is protected by copyright.

And, when you say "download", are you referring to "importing" the video files of the unprotected DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc in Premiere Element 12 Mac?

Or, do you mean some thing else by "download a DVD movie into...."?

For unprotected DVD-VIDEO, place you DVD disc in the burner tray, open Premiere Elements 12 to the Expert workspace and use Add Media/DVD Camera or Computer Drive"/Video Importer.

I am strictly an Elements Windows user and that is the way it works in Premiere Elements 12 Windows. The Windows and Mac versions do have their differences, but in this regard I believe it is the same. Please check it out and let us know if your source is unprotected.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: How to download a DVD movie into Premiere Elements 12 using my MacBook Pro so I can edit the video?
            BPSCC111 Level 1

Thank you for your quick respond. These are home movies that my wife exported from an AVCH video camera and burn it into a DVD. We now want to load the DVD into Premiere Elements 12 and edit the file (remove some of the frames) add a title, etc. I was able to do it on my Windows machine, but I can not read the DVD using a Mac.

Regards;

Bob Perez

• 3. Re: How to download a DVD movie into Premiere Elements 12 using my MacBook Pro so I can edit the video?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Bob Perez

Please review and consider the following which works for me in Premiere Elements 12 Window 64 bit.

From what you wrote, I suspect that you have DVD-VIDEO widescreen on DVD disc. For now I will assume that you are working in a NTSC setup.

Premiere Elements DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc is characterized as interlaced video with field order lower (bottom) field first. I am not sure how your DVD-VIDEO on DVD was produced - upper (top) field first or lower (bottom) field first. We may have to apply Field Option Reverse Field Dominance at the Timeline level, but for now let us put that aside for a later time.

Insert your DVD disc in the DVD burner tray.

Open Premiere Elements to the Expert workspace and set the project preset manually for NTSC DV Widescreen. How to details for manual project preset setting are found

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE11: Accuracy of Automatic Project Preset (New Project Dialog) Setting

Then, Add Media/DVD camera or Computer Drive/Video Importer.

The video files from the DVD-VIDEO will be the larger size files and will probably start with VTS_01_1.VOB.

In the Video Importer designate the save location for video file VOB(s) and select Add to Timeline and hit Get Media

to put the files on the Timeline for editing.

If you have more than one DVD disc to "rip", please set up the Video Importer Save In location so that the save in location has a folder for each disc. The fact that all DVDs have the same VTS_01_1.VOB name etc will cause problems if you saved all to the same place as individual files.

Determine how that works for you in your Mac computer environment. We will be watching for your progress.

Others may tell you that you need to convert the VOB to another format before import into Premiere Elements. That is no necessary for Premiere Elements.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: How to download a DVD movie into Premiere Elements 12 using my MacBook Pro so I can edit the video?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Bob Perez

Add On to post numbered 3......

I am strictly an Elements Windows user who tries to find common ground between Premiere Elements Windows and Mac to address this type of issue..

If you say that you have been there and done that related to my suggested workflow (based on a Windows model and considerations), then I need to do some homework on your issue. This time around, we may have to convert the VOBs to .mov in another software before import into Premiere Elements.

Your next report will direct me in this way of thinking.

I will watch for further developments.

Thank you.

ATR

Add On...Did some searching before calling it a day...are you saying that Mac is not reading your DVDs? If so, have you looked at System Preferences/Hardware/CD&DVD and what the computer is supposed to do with discs?