4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 1, 2014 5:07 AM by JJMack

Layer mask suddenly not working, how to fix this?

Riina K

Please help!

I have been using the layer mask before and it has worked fine until now. Suddenly it only paints black and white colors, not revealing or hiding as it should. I have the mask layer selected properly. I have reset the brush tool and all the tools. I have the brush mode set to normal.

I tried also the eraser, it paints black too.

I'm using Photoshop CC.

• 1. Re: Layer mask suddenly not working, how to fix this?
          bitmedentikla

I'm sorry, the bar does not appear?

www.bitmedentikla.com

• 2. Re: Layer mask suddenly not working, how to fix this?
            Riina K Level 1

I have three layers currently. I added a layer mask in the middle layer and it shows the thumbnail normally in the Layers pane. I am able to select the mask layer. But when I take a brush and paint on it, it doesn't work as it should: when I have white brush color, it paints white color instead of revealing, and if I paint with black color it paints black instead of hiding.

My brush is set to normal, opacity and flow are both 100%.

Things I have tried so far:

- deleting the layer mask and adding it again

- resetting brush tool

- resetting all tools

These haven't fixed the issue.

• 3. Re: Layer mask suddenly not working, how to fix this?
              Riina K Level 1

I was able to make it work by deleting the layer mask (once again), then adding it again like this: Layer > Layer Mask > Hide all. Then painting with white worked (it revealed instead of painting the color white). Weird...

• 4. Re: Layer mask suddenly not working, how to fix this?
                JJMack Most Valuable Participant

Riina K wrote:

I have been using the layer mask before and it has worked fine until now. Suddenly it only paints black and white colors, not revealing or hiding as it should. I have the mask layer selected properly. I have reset the brush tool and all the tools. I have the brush mode set to normal.

If you hold the Alt|option key when you click on the Layer Mask icon in the layers palette to target the layer mask Photoshop will display the layer mask in the images window not the composite image.  Layer Mask are gray scale channels. All you can see is the mask Black, White and Gray. Could you have Displayed the layer mask by accident. Are you sure you have the layer mask targeted to show the composite image  or could you have targeted its to show the Layer Mask instead of the composite image.