5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2014 6:27 AM by johnhawk666

Student-educators version lightroom: no price difference when not "CC"?

Stef Pillaert

I started with lightroom 5 beta, I changed it into a trial version long time ago (stand alone, ver. 5.3). The 30-day trial period is over, so I want to buy a student-teacher-licence (stand alone, not CC). Do I have to buy a full version, or is an upgrade OK? And the prices I get from the website seem to be the same prices as for non-students, is that normal? I see"upgrade" (72,57€) and"full" (129,15€) , these seem to be the normal prices, no? Is there no reduction for students/teachers if not using the CC-version?

Thanks,

Stef

• 1. Re: Student-educators version lightroom: no price difference when not "CC"?
          johnhawk666 Level 3

No, you definitely have to buy a full version, as an upgrade is just that - an upgrade to a program you already own.

IF you want to get an educational version, you have to go to the page on the Adobe website page that sells it, and look for a sidebar ( on the right hand side of the page IIRC) that mentions buying an educational version. Do not buy the ordinary version and then try to get your discount, ax this is not possible.

When you have made your purchase, you will then have to prove to Adobe that you qualify for the educational discount - I presume that you can do this, as I don't think that you can get your money back if you can't prove to Adobe's satisfaction that you are say, a student or teacher.

• 2. Re: Student-educators version lightroom: no price difference when not "CC"?
            johnhawk666 Level 3

Having just been to Adobe's site, I see that I was wrong to say that buying the educational version was mentioned on the Lr page; you have to click on "Purchasing FAQs" on the lower right side. This will take you to a page where, under "Education  FAQ" you must click on "What products are available under teacher and student Editions", where you can get to " browse the teacher and student catalogue". Lr full edition under this plan is the same price as an upgrade is for non-educational people.

Of course, there may be an easier route to this page, as other people more familiar with Adobe's arcane website will probably soon say...

• 3. Re: Student-educators version lightroom: no price difference when not "CC"?
              Stef Pillaert Level 1

johnhawk666 wrote:

... Lr full edition under this plan is the same price as an upgrade is for non-educational people.

Of course, there may be an easier route to this page, as other people more familiar with Adobe's arcane website will probably soon say...

hmmmm.... when I select teachers-prices (https://www.adobe.com/be_nl/cart.edu.html? ) , and I select "full",not upgrade, I still get 129,15€, which is the same as for non-education, no?

A bit confused now...it would feel more comfortable if I would know the exact price before I buy something...

Stef

• 4. Re: Student-educators version lightroom: no price difference when not "CC"?
                Stef Pillaert Level 1

Stef Pillaert wrote:

johnhawk666 wrote:

... Lr full edition under this plan is the same price as an upgrade is for non-educational people.

hmmmm.... when I select teachers-prices (https://www.adobe.com/be_nl/cart.edu.html? ) , and I select "full",not upgrade, I still get 129,15€, which is the same as for non-education, no?

A bit confused now...it would feel more comfortable if I would know the exact price before I buy something...

Stef

(Sorry to follow up my own post)

It seems to depend what path I use on the adobe website: sometimes I indeed get the reduced price for full edu-version (72,57€), sometimes I don't, allthough I select I want a edu-price...

Strange and confusing ...

Stef

• 5. Re: Student-educators version lightroom: no price difference when not "CC"?
                  johnhawk666 Level 3

Sorry to hear that you're having the same sort of problems with navigating Adobe's confusing website that I've had in the past on several occasions.

Hmm, the path that I quoted in my last post gives a final price of £57.64 for a full educational copy of Lr, but that''s naturally for an English copy, and in your country may be different again, as Adobe charges very different prices for the same product, even allowing for currency differences. Perhaps, though, they apply the same principle as in England, ie the full educational copy is the same price as the upgrade price for an ordinary copy - you should check the upgrade price in your country and use that as a base for checking on the price of the educational version.

I'm assuming that you used the same path I suggested in my last post, so it's surprising it doesn't give the correct price, as it did when I tried it.